Jonathan Shocked Me In 2015, Buhari Tells Reporters

JonathanThe Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday told State House correspondents in Abuja that he was shocked when the former President, Goodluck Jonathan, called him before the 2015 Presidential election was concluded to concede defeat.

At a launch with the reporters, president Buhari again commended the former President for the decision which he said came as a surprise to him.

“Great Sense Of Patriotism”

“When he made that famous call at 4:45 pm and said ‘Good evening Mr. President, I have called to congratulate you and I concede defeat’, I was silent for quite a while because I was surprised and he said ‘did you hear me?’,”President Buhari said.


Dr Jonathan had called Mr Buhari to congratulate him on his victory, requesting that he should make out time to visit the Presidential Villa for talks on the transitional process.

Mr Buhari further said: “For someone who was a Deputy Governor, a Governor, a Vice President and a President for six years to concede that easily showed his great sense of patriotism”.

He also pointed out that the former President was a member of a party that was at the helms of affairs for 16 years.

“For him to still go ahead and concede was definitely not an easy decision.”

The President, however, described his experience in the villa during the hand over, as different from what he envisaged, maintaining that his administration did not meet any money on ground.

He also told the reporters that he would carefully work with the judiciary and the international community in the recovery of looted funds to ensure that all monies stolen by the past administration are fully recovered.

Ministers Insist Campaign Promises Will Be Fulfilled

Kemi-Adeosun-and-Lai-Mohammed on campaign promisesSome members of Nigeria’s Federal Executive Council on Sunday assessed efforts and strategies being implemented by the government to resolve prevailing socio-economic challenges over the last one year.

Speaking during Channels Television’s special Democracy Day programme, Buhari-365-Days, the Minister of Information, Mr Lai Mohammed and the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, defended the policies of the Buhari-led administration.

They insisted that the promises made during the 2015 campaigns would be fulfilled.

The All Progressives Congress (APC) campaign focused on three issues – insecurity, corruption and the economy and the Minister of information believes that the government is on track on these.


“By this time last year, 14 out of 20 local governments in Borno State alone were under the sovereign authority of the Boko Haram insurgents.

“Today, we can say very confidently that the Boko Haram insurgency has been caged. They no longer have the kind of capacity or capability to launch the kind of attacks they use to launch before,” Mr Mohammed stated.Lai-Mohammed-Minister--of-information

He said the government had been able to end attacks on the nation’s capital and security agencies’ posts.

On corruption, he said that the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration was winning the war on corruption, citing ongoing trials of persons alleged to have looted the nation’s funds.

On the economy of the nation, the Minister of Finance dismissed claims that the promises of the party on the economy had not been felt.

“One thing we have to understand about the economy is the direction the economy has been travelling in.

“Consistently, since 2005 the decline accelerated in 2014 when the prices of crude oil took a sudden plunge.

“What we see today should have happened whatever party had won,” Mrs Adeosun said.

She blamed previous administrations for their failure to utilise revenues generated during oil boom.

According to her the government had factored in some of the campaign promises into the budget, citing the creation of jobs as one of those.