Tulip Kidnap: Another Suspect Arrested

Kidnapped Turkish School Students, Teachers ReleasedAnother leader of the gang that kidnapped eight persons at the Tulip International School, Isheri, Ogun State has been arrested by operatives of the Inspector General of Police Intelligence Response Team.

Channels Television gathered that the 32-year-old suspect, Peter Ajanapo also known as “General Osari” was arrested in Ughelli town, Delta State.

The suspect was alleged to have confessed to collecting 2million Naira and 150,000 Naira from the Tulip school and Isheri Estate Secretary as ransom.

He is the eight gang member now in police custody over the Isheri kidnap case, as seven of them had earlier been arrested in Lagos, Ogun, Ondo and Delta states.

Adegboruwa Withdraws Case Against Magu’s Confirmation

Ibrahim Magu, EFCC Chairman, SenateLegal Practitioner, Mr Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa has withdrawn the court case he filed against the confirmation of Mr Ibrahim Magu, as the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

At the Federal High Court Sitting in Lagos on Monday, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr Tayo Oyetibo, who appeared for Mr Adegboruwa, told the presiding Justice, Mojisola Olatoregun that he had persuaded his client to drop the case, in order to encourage Mr Magu in the anti-corruption campaign.

He also said there is need to give Mr Magu the opportunity to continue the anti-corruption campaign of the present administration and the case may affect Magu’s confirmation as such, so it was better to discontinue it.

Mr Adegboruwa who was present in court also got up to confirm this.

He told the court that he was well-persuaded by his counsel and in his second coming, Mr Magu will do a good job, to be more rule of law friendly and be holistic in his approach to the anti-corruption drive of the administration.

Mr Wahab Shittu who represented Mr Magu said he was happy with the development and was not opposed to the withdrawal of the case.

He also expressed the belief that the withdrawal would boost the anti-corruption war of the Buhari-led administration, especially with input and support of lawyers and activists like Mr Adegboruwa, who should bring their wealth of experience to bear on the fight against corruption.

After listening to all the parties, Justice Olatoregun consequently struck out the case.

In the case, Mr Adegboruwa, had sought to stop the Senate from proceeding with the confirmation of Magu as the EFCC Chairman, based upon his alleged corrupt practices and lavish lifestyle.

Senate Rejects Nomination Of Magu

The Nigerian Senate had refused to grant confirmation to the nomination of Ibrahim Magu as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Explaining the reason behind the decision, the Senate said that security report available to it showed that Mr Magu is not fit to be Chairman of the anti-graft body.

In this regard, the lawmakers sent back his nomination letter to President Muhammadu Buhari.

Re-nomination

But President Muhammadu Buhari undeterred, re-nominated Ibrahim Magu to be confirmed by the Senate as the substantive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, (EFCC).

It was gathered that the President’s letter to that effect had been received by the Senate and may be read on the floor of the upper legislative chamber.

The Federal lawmakers had in 2016 turned down the President’s request for the confirmation of Mr. Magu who is currently the Acting Chairman of the anti-corruption body.

The decision by the Senate had been a subject of controversy as former Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, had insisted that Mr Magu was not rejected by the lawmakers but his confirmation was only stepped down for further consultation with the Presidency.

The position was swiftly countered by Senate spokesman, Aliyu Abdullahi, who insisted that the acting EFCC boss had been rejected.

He insisted that the official position of the Senate remained that the lawmakers cannot confirm Mr Magu because of security reports which showed that he was not fit to be EFCC Chairman.

Okowa Inspects Road Projects In Asaba

Delta Govt. To Partner With NDDC On ProjectsThe Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa has inspected various road projects within Asaba Capital Territory, charging construction firms to increase the pace of work on infrastructural projects in the state.

Governor Okowa inspected the Okpanam road and drain projects; the 4.4km Joseph Ebolo and Madonna road and drains project; 1.6km Ojife Street, Nduka Iloba and Casaloba Street.

Other road projects were the 700meters Isioma Onyeobi link road from sand beach through Rapu road to Cable road and the 510 meters Stadium and Cap Wire roads off Nnebisi road in the Asaba Metropolis.

The governor who said his government was determined to take development to the people of the state despite the economic recession, disclosed that a lot of roads and other projects are either on-going or ready for commissioning in April.

According to him “ We have about 398 km roads all through the state and so many projects are ready for commissioning now, from the month of April through May, we will be commissioning a lot of road and school projects”.

While commending the construction firms handling the road projects on the quality and standard of work, Governor Okowa charged them to speed up work so as to meet the time schedule.

At the Okpanam road project, where drainage construction work was on, the Governor stated that the drainage work would be connected and completed before the end of February, emphasizing that the drainage project is very important as it would remove storm water from Asaba.

He stressed that “A lot of work is going on with the drains and l have been assured that in another 10 days the drains will be connected.

“After the connection, we are going to see what happens, when the rain comes and how efficiently the drains will carry the water”

Legal Battle Over Trump’s Travel Ban

Trump And Australia PM Have 'Worst Call'A U.S. Appeal Court is weighing arguments for and against President Donald Trump’s temporary travel ban, but its decision this week may not yet answer the underlying legal questions being raised in the fast-moving case.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco is expected to rule only on the narrow question of whether a lower court’s emergency halt to an executive order by Trump was justified. Trump signed the order on Jan. 27 barring citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days and halted all refugee entries for four months.

The appeals court has several options. It could kick the case back to lower court judge James Robart in Seattle, saying it is premature for them to make a ruling before he has had a chance to consider all the evidence. Robart stopped Trump’s order just a week after he issued it and before all the arguments had been developed on both sides.

Or the panel of three appellate judges could side with the government and find halting the order was harmful to national security, reinstating it while the case continues.

Their decision is “one step in what will be a long, historic case,” Stephen Yale-Loehr, a professor at Cornell University Law School who specializes in immigration. Ultimately, the case is likely to end up in the U.S. Supreme Court, legal experts said.

The case is the first serious test of executive authority since Trump became president on Jan. 20, and legal experts said there were three main issues at play for the judiciary.

The broad questions in the case are whether the states have the right to challenge federal immigration laws, how much power the court has to question the president’s national security decisions, and if the order discriminates against Muslims.

Washington state filed the original lawsuit, claiming it was hurt by the ban when students and faculty from state-run universities and corporate employees were stranded overseas.

Trump administration lawyer August Flentje argued at an appeals court hearing on Tuesday that the states lack “standing” to sue the federal government over immigration law, but his arguments were questioned by the judges.

Kenyan Authorities Deport Riek Machar’s Spokesman

Kenya, Riek Machar's SpokesmanKenyan government spokesman, Eric Kiraithe, has said that a spokesman for the former Vice-President of South Sudan was deported after his “visa was cancelled”.

Kiraithe told the BBC that James Gatdet Dak, was deported to South Sudan’s capital, Juba, on Thursday evening.

The deportation was said to have been agreed upon by both the Kenyan government and Sudanese authorities.

Other reports also confirmed that the he was picked on Wednesday afternoon in what appeared to have been a coordinated operation organized by the Special Service of Kenya and South Sudan.

Thereafter, “he was taken to the airport where he was allowed to speak to some of his family members and relatives,” the reports said.

Although the motive behind Dak’s deportation remains unclear and speculative, some have attributed the cause to the statement in which he welcomed the sacking of the force commander of United Nations mission in South Sudan who hails from Kenya.

According to the AP news agency, Mr Gatdet was kicked out of the country for posting comments on Facebook that supported the sacking of the commander.

A few others, who are high ranking members of the government, however, blamed the South Sudanese government for allegedly engineering Dak’s deportation.

Christopher Katongo Wins BBC African Footballer Of The Year

Zambia’s Christopher Katongo has been named the 2012 BBC African footballer of the year.

The 30-year-old Zambia captain beat off competition from Demba Ba, Didier Drogba, Younes Belhanda and Yaya Toure to become the first winner from southern Africa in the history of the award.

The shortlist for the award was drawn up by football experts from every country in Africa, who based their choices on players’ skill, technical ability, teamwork, consistency and fair play.

While all the players on the shortlist have enjoyed a superb year, with four of the players picking up silverware, it is Katongo whose performances and achievements have been considered by African football fans to be the greatest.

Ex- Nigerian international Jay-Jay Okocha remains the only player that has won the award back to back in 2003 and 2004 while playing for Bolton in the English premier league.