Dalung Says VOA Interview Was Edited Out of Context

solomon-dalungNigeria’s Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, has cleared the air on his interview with the Voice of America, Hausa Service where he was reported to have said the Super Eagles do not need to attend the 2018 World Cup since they can’t win the trophy.

Mr Dalung said that the interview which he granted four months ago was misinterpreted, insisting  he has total confidence in the team to pick the sole tick in their group for Russia 2018.

He said that the interview was edited midway into a more comprehensive conversation and the act has sent a misconception about his commitment to the ongoing World Cup campaign.

“The statement was taken out of context. It was part of a comprehensive interview I granted four months ago when I was reacting to the status of African nations in global competitions and also football administration globally. Where do we stand?

“The question also was that whether Nigeria or any African country is likely going to host the World Cup. My reaction was what was captured.

“Unfortunately, the interview did not avail those who listened the complete narrative so that they can benefit from the background with which the response was taken,” he explained.

He maintained that the Nigerian government and the Ministry of Sport remain committed to ensuring that Nigeria re-positions itself as a global player in football and lead other African countries to the top of the game.

He urged Nigerians to support the Super Eagles to ensure that they do not lose the momentum that is in their favour in the 2018 World Cup qualifying series.

He added that his selfless contributions so far in Super Eagles’s quest for qualification, particularly ahead of the away win in Zambia, contradicts the impression that he was not in support of the team.

Oil Bunkering: Court Assumes Jurisdiction Over Foreigners’ Case

court on oil thievesA Federal High Court sitting in Ikoyi, Lagos has assumed jurisdiction over the case of 14 foreigners alleged to have been involved in illegal oil bunkering and have been arraigned before Justice Ibrahim Buba.

The accused had on Wednesday, through their counsel, Babajide Koku (SAN), asked the court to dismiss the charges against them for lack of jurisdiction to hear the charges.

The foreigners made up of eight Filipinos, three Russians and three Ukrainians, also claimed that they were not involved in any illegal activity.

Following Thursday’s ruling, the trial commenced immediately with the court taking the testimony of the Arresting Officer, a Captain of the Nigerian Navy, Chidozie Okehie.

The court thereafter adjourned the case to June 23 for cross examination of the Captain.

Meanwhile, another set of nine foreigners and their vessel have been arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) before the same court on a 4-count of illegally dealing in petroleum products.

The offence was said to have been committed on March 27.