Soldiers from Niger Republic have withdrawn from Damasak, a boundary town in northern Borno State, one of the states lately terrorised by Boko Haram.
The withdrawal of soldiers followed recent recapture of the town, considered one of the last strongholds of the outlawed terrorist group by troops of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF).
Troops of the Sector 4 of the MNJTF, with headquarters in Diffa of Niger Republic had successfully cleared and occupied Dutse Village last month.
Theatre Commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, visited the recovered town enroute Mobbar to congratulate and address troops of the 145 battalion for their exploits.
Irabor said the retreating Niger Troops would continue operation on their own side of the border.
“Where is left is only Abadam and Malanfatori.
“We are going there already the troops in Kangarwa are warming up. If not for the rain they would have been in Malanfatori.
“Very soon this operation would be over. All you need to do is keep the instructions we are giving to you,” Major General Irabor told the troops.
Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole first captured Kareto, another stronghold and thereafter linked up with troops of the MNJTF that captured Damasak which has now been occupied by the Operation Lafiya Dole Troops.
Boko Haram militants killed two soldiers and three civilians in Niger’s southern border town of Abadam in an overnight raid.
Two security sources told Reuters on Wednesday, in the third suspected attack by the group in less than 24 hours.
Four militants detonated suicide bombs on Lake Chad, also overnight, killing three of the attackers but no one else.
Separately, militants attacked a convoy in northern Cameroon on Wednesday, although there were no reported deaths.
The Nigerian military says that troops of the 112 Battalion and special forces in Mafa and Dikwa have raided a Boko Haram camp at Bulungwa Naibe in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State.
A statement issued by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, says that during the operation, quite a number of the Boko Haram terrorists were killed, while a Buffalo vehicle mounted with an anti-aircraft gun, a rocket propelled grenade, two machine guns and 1 sub-machine gun were recovered from the terrorists.
Elsewhere, troops also intercepted and arrested a suspected Boko Haram financier and stimulants dealer, Mohammed Maina, in Bama, Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.
The suspect is said to have been arrested with the sum of one million naira cash and some items.
The Nigerian Army on Wednesday warned residents of Borno State to avoid cattle water ponds in Kangallam Village along Marte and Abadam axis in Borno State.
A statement by the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, Col. Tukur Gusau, said “a large number of cattle died after drinking water from the ponds”, maintaining that in view of this development “citizens are called upon to avoid as much as possible drinking water from unverified sources especially in locations that troops routed out Boko Haram terrorists”.
Col. Tukur further noted that “information reaching the Theater Command, Operation LAFIYA DOLE indicates that Boko Haram terrorists have now resorted to poisoning water sources like wells and streams in areas they were dislodged by gallant troops or areas threatened by offensive operations.
“Credible information available to the Theater Command indicates that though no human life was lost as a result of the barbaric act of the terrorists, however, some cattle were killed after drinking water from some poisoned sources”, he said.
He added that “the action of the terrorists is no doubt aimed at taking their own pound of flesh on the innocent citizen and livestock as a result of the unbearable offensive operations through the combined effort of the Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Air Force to route them out completely from their enclaves and hide-outs all over the northeast”.