Gunmen Abduct Samson Siasia’s Mother In Bayelsa

Samson Siasia, Rwanda, FERWAFA

 

Unknown gunmen have abducted the mother of former Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia in her country home, Bayelsa.

Channels Television learnt that the aged woman was captured at her residence in Adoni community Sagbama Local Government Area of the state.

The abductors arrived at her residence about 2:00 am in the early hours of Monday morning.

READ ALSO: AFCON 2019: Algeria Deserved Semi-Final Win, Says Rohr

But when contacted, the spokesman for the Bayelsa State Police Command, DSP Asinim Butswat, neither confirmed nor denied the incident.

He, however, requested for more time to be briefed before issuing a statement to that effect.

Ex-Health Minister’s Son Regains Freedom

Dayo Adewole, the son of the immediate past Minister of Health, Isaac Adewole, who was abducted on Tuesday has regained his freedom.

Details about his release are still sketchy, but it comes a day after he was abducted from his farm which is situated at Iroko, near Fiditi in Afijio Local Government Area of the state on Tuesday.

He and his employees had been on the farm when the mask-wearing gunmen invaded it and whisked him away, through the neighbouring village.

Read Also: Ex-Health Minister’s Son Kidnapped

One of his workers had raised the alarm, alerting villagers who quickly sent local hunters after the kidnappers.

Although the hunters found the car used by the kidnappers, neither Dayo nor any of the abductors were found with the police also launching a hunt for the criminals after being informed.

Nigerians React As Leah Sharibu Marks Second Birthday In Boko Haram Captivity

 

More than a year after Leah Sharibu was abducted along with over 100 of her mates from the Government Girls Secondary School in Dapchi, Adamawa State, hopes are still alive that she will someday be reunited with her family.

While the other schoolgirls had regained their freedom from the insurgents, Leah, a Christian, was the only one who was not released for refusing to denounce her faith.

Today marked her second birthday in captivity since her abduction on February 19, 2018 and a group of concerned Nigerians staged a march in her honour.

Some took to the social media to wish her Happy Birthday, while expressing sympathy over her plight.

Some others also expressed their frustration over her prolonged detention and urged the government to make more efforts to secure her release.

See some of the tweets below.

Gunmen Abduct North Korean Citizen In Zamfara – Police

 

A North Korean medical doctor, Mr. Jeng Sunail, attached to the General Hospital in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, has been abducted by gunmen.

This was confirmed in a statement on Tuesday by the spokesperson for the state Police command, DSP Shehu Mohammed.

According to the statement, the disappearance of Sunail was reported at the Tsafe Divisional Police Office by one of his colleagues, Dr. Li Dong.

An indigene of the area also told Channels Television that some armed men had invaded the staff quarters of the Tsafe General Hospital at about 9:00 pm on Monday and went straight to Sunail’s apartment where he was abducted to an unknown destination.

The DPO later led a team of detectives to the staff quarters where the main entrance of the house and his room were found open with no signs of breakage or struggle.

The statement further disclosed that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Celestine Okoye, has directed the Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (CIID), State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) and Anti-kidnapping Squad to commence a discreet investigation into the case, as well as to conduct a search and rescue operation of the expatriate.

Leah Sharibu’s Family Again Asks Buhari To Secure Her Release

Leah Sharibu (file photo)

 

The family of abducted Dapchi schoolgirl, Leah Sharibu has again called on the Federal Government to secure the release of their daughter from the enclaves of the Boko Haram sect.

Speaking on behalf of the family, the Pastor of the Evangelical Church of West Africa (ECWA), Pastor Fidelis Saul in Yola, regretted that the indifference shown in facilitating Leah’s release is as a result of her faith.

“I believe that the government is taking sides. This is because Leah is not the only person that was taken away. But why Leah is still being left behind today is because she is always calling Jesus Christ her saviour.

“The government is taking sides, they see Christians as nothing. That is the reason why when we are crying, nobody will care about our crying. If the government knows that we are together, they should allow Leah to come back home right now before elections.

READ ALSO: Leah Sharibu’s Family Asks Buhari To Secure Her Release Ahead Of Abduction Anniversary

Pastor Saul who also is the convener of a prayer session held in Leah’s remembrance called on the Federal Government to secure her release.

While stressing that releasing Leah would restore hope to them, he warned that “if they refuse to release Leah, it’s clear that they are showing us we are nothing in the country.”

Speaking also, Leah’s mother, Rebecca Sharibu lamented that since the abduction, she has never known peace.

The renewed calls for her release comes a year after Leah was kidnapped by a faction of the Boko Haram sect – Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).

Leah is one of the over 100 schoolgirls abducted by the insurgents in February 2018 from the Government Girls Secondary School, Dapchi in Yobe State.

Weeks after the abduction, the other girls were released while Leah was kept in captivity by the terrorists reportedly for refusing to renounce Christianity.

She was the only Christian among the girls.

On August 27, 2018, an audio clip emerged in which the abducted schoolgirl could be heard pleading with the President to help her regain her freedom.

In the clip, the 15-year-old also sought help for her family and asked the government also treat a case with passion.

Kidnapped Abia APC Chairman Regains Freedom

IPOB Sit At Home Protest: Police Warn Against Unlawful Activities

The Chairman of the All Progressive Congress in Abia State, Donatus Nwankpa, who was kidnapped on Monday night has regained his freedom.

The state police and publicity secretary of the party confirmed the news to journalists on Friday.

They, however, gave no information about any rescue or arrest of the abductors.

Read Also: Planned Arraignment Of Ex-NIA DG, Wife Fails To Hold Today

It was also not disclosed if any ransom was paid to secure the release.

The kidnapped State chairman is yet to comment on his ordeal during the three-day abduction. He has, however, been reunited with his family.

Abducted Ekiti LG Workers Regain Freedom

 

The two local government workers abducted in Ekiti State have regained their freedom.

Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Caleb Ikechukwu, confirmed this to Channels Television on Saturday.

He also said the new Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Amba Asuquo, visited the two officials at their homes after they were released by their abductors.

Ikechukwu, however, could not confirm if any ransom was paid.

He explained that the captives were released when it became obvious to the abductors that the police were trailing them.

The gunmen had killed one Abayomi Ajayi, an accounting officer working at Emure Local Government Area (LGA) of the state.

The victim was shot dead by the gunmen on Wednesday along Ikere-Ise Road while returning from work and, thereafter, abducted the two men who were released after three days.

Meanwhile, the state government stated that it was stepping up its fight against criminal elements in the state.

Police Blamed For Abduction Of Journalists In DRC

 

Five journalists at a newspaper in the Democratic Republic of Congo were “abducted” on Friday, their managing editor said, after the publication of articles on the misappropriation of rations for police cadets. 

The detentions come after a series of prosecutions of journalists in the troubled nation, which is just two months away from tense elections to replace President Joseph Kabila.

“The police proceeded early this morning to abduct five journalists from AfricaNews. Octave Mukendi, Bruce Landu, Roddy Bosakwa, Dan Luyila and Laurent Omba were taken to an unknown destination,” AfricaNews managing editor Achille Kadima said in a statement.

The journalists had worked at the office of the tri-weekly newspaper overnight to finish the latest edition and were arrested on the premises.

The officers who took them did not show any documents, Kadima told AFP, adding that he had gone into hiding.

Earlier, he had written a letter to the national police chief complaining that police had conducted a “roundup” of copies of AfricaNews from newsstands.

On the front page of the current issue, the paper carried a story on an inquiry into misappropriation of police cadet rations, adding the head of the country’s police academies had been summoned.

General Celestin Kanyama is under sanctions by the United States, which accused him of responsibility for a 2013-2014 police operation in which at least 50 young men and boys were reportedly killed and more than 30 others were forcibly “disappeared”.

When approached by AFP over the case of the reporters, Kanyama said: “Stop your bullshit. Do not quote me over things I know nothing about.”

DR Congo ranks 154th out of 180 countries on the Reporters Without Borders press freedoms index.

The media freedom group on Wednesday sounded the alarm over the case of reporter Sylvanie Kiaku, of the weekly La Percee, who has been detained for more than a week on charges of defamation, over two articles she wrote about redundancies at a local bank.

At the time it urged the authorities to release Kiaku pending trial and amend legislation “in order to guarantee the right of journalists to freely report the facts and expose abuses without fear of reprisals”.

AFP

Police Rescue Two Teenage Girls Allegedly Abducted By 32-Year-Old Man

Cholera Kills 10 Persons In Niger State

 

The Niger State Police has rescued two teenage girls who were allegedly abducted by a 32-year-old man who had claimed to be in love with one of them.

The girls, aged 15 and 16, who assist their guardian in running a restaurant business in Gwada Town In Shiroro Local Government Area of the state, were said to have gone missing in April after several advances and threats by the man.

However, four months after, they were found in Suleja town with the help of the police.

The spokesperson of the Niger State Police Command, DSP Abubakar Dan-inna, confirmed this to Channels Television on Friday.

The police also noted that the girls who were formerly Christians have now converted to Muslims and their names, formerly Okwudiri and Miracle, have been changed to Aisha and Khadijat respectively.

Meanwhile, the suspect Shamsudeen, who was among those paraded by the police, said although he was in love with one of the girls, he did not force them to convert to Islam.

He also explained that they had indicated interest to elope with him as they claimed they were being maltreated by their custodian.

“I was in love with one of the girls staying with Mr Sunday and she indicated interest in becoming a Muslim so, I took her to Suleja.

“There in Suleja the girls were Islamized and when Mr Sunday got to know about it, I was brought to the police station.

“The girl I am in love with is Miracle. For me, I felt since she indicated interest in becoming a Muslim, there was no need to inform their custodian about it, that was why I eloped with them.

“I didn’t force her into it. She consented,” he said.

Dan-inna, however, said the force is currently investigating the events that led to the alleged abduction.

Abducted Catholic Priest Regains Freedom In Delta

 

A Catholic priest, who was abducted on Wednesday in Delta State, has regained his freedom.

Reverend Father Andrew Anah, the parish priest of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church Obomkpa, was abducted by gunmen along the Obomkpa/Issele-Uku Road.

It was the second time he would be abducted in less than 12 months.

The Public Relations Officer of the Delta State Police Command, Andew Aniamaka, confirmed that the priest had regained his freedom.

He said the police would ensure that the culprits are apprehended.

Father Anah was first kidnapped in August 2017 along the same road. He was released after an undisclosed amount was allegedly paid.

This comes about 48 hours after Governor Ifeanyi Okowa decried the rising activities of kidnappers in the state.

The governor lamented about the crime rate in the state while addressing some traditional rulers in Aniocha North Local Government Area of the state.

The Obomkpa/Ukwu-Nzu and now Olona axis of Aniocha North have been terrorized by kidnappers for some time now. Apart from the priest, several others have been abducted in the area.

A managing director for a construction company, the Chairman of the Aniocha North Traditional Rulers’ committee, Obi Sunday Olisenweoku and the monarch of Ogodo Community are among those abducted there in recent months.

India Arrests 15 Over Latest Child Abduction

Indian Rapid Action Force personnel along with Punjab Police personnel patrol ahead of the 34th anniversary of Operation Blue Star at a market in Amritsar on June 3, 2018. NARINDER NANU / AFP

 

Indian police have arrested 15 men after the latest in a spate of lynchings incited by rumours spread on WhatsApp of strangers abducting children, an officer said Sunday.

A mob in a mainly tribal area of the northeastern state of Assam pulled two men out of their car on Friday night and beat them to death before police could arrive.

A video on YouTube shows the badly bruised and bleeding men pleading for their lives.

The two friends, residents of Guwahati city in the state, were returning from a picnic spot.

“We have arrested 15 persons. We have also zeroed in on a couple of people who recorded and uploaded the video,” senior state police official Mukesh Agrawal told AFP.

“The villagers got suspicious of the strangers as for the last three or four days messages were going around on WhatsApp, as well as through word of mouth, about child lifters roaming the area,” the officer said.

The brutal killings triggered protests in Guwahati, where some 2,000 people gathered on the streets to demand justice for the victims.

Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said he was “deeply anguished” by the incident and said those found guilty of the violence would face the strictest punishment.

“I urge everyone to maintain peace and social harmony and not to fall prey to rumours,” he wrote on Twitter.

India has seen a string of similar vigilante mob killings sparked by fake news — often looking like newspaper clippings — circulated on social media.

Last month six people were killed in separate incidents in southern India prompted by rumours about a child kidnapping gang.

And last year eight men were killed in similar attacks in Jharkhand state in the east.

Experts say false news spreads like wildfire in rural India, with vulnerable and often illiterate first-time smartphone users unable to sift real news from fake.

AFP

Kaduna Attack: Residents, Police Give Conflicting Figures Of Victims

 

Some resident have gone missing following a fresh attack which occurred along the Birnin-Gwari road in Kaduna State on Friday.

While the number of victims has remained unclear, eye-witnesses in the community say one person was killed while 25 others were abducted.

The Police spokesperson in the state, Muhktar Aliyu, however, told Channels Television that only two people were kidnapped, including the driver of a commercial vehicle and another woman passenger.

Read Also: Birnin Gwari Attacks: Military Vows To Track Down Perpetrators

Aliyu said the incident occurred in the early hours of Friday, when the armed bandits intercepted two commercial vehicles travelling from Kaduna to Niger state.

According to him, the armed men had attempted to abduct the passengers before the intervention of mobile policemen posted to the area.

He added that one of the passengers died during a shootout between the police and the armed bandits, who later escaped with two of the passengers into the forest.

Aliyu, however, stated that the police has since launched a manhunt of the bandits with a view to rescuing the abductees.