Woods Set To Compete At PGA Championship

A file photo of Tiger Woods. Credit: AFP

 

Four-time PGA Championship winner, Tiger Woods insists the lack of competitive golf and playing without spectators will have little impact on his performance when the first major of the year tees off in San Francisco.

At a press briefing on Wednesday to announce the 102nd edition of PGA championship, Woods who will be competing for his 16th major title on a TPF Harding Park Course beamed with confidence when asked whether he can win this week.

“Of course,” he said with a smile, according to a report by Reuters.

The former world number one knows the course well but will have to cope with August temperatures he is unaccustomed to when cool San Francisco fog blankets the area.

The Florida resident, who got to know the course on the shores of Lake Merced when he played at nearby Stanford University in the mid-1990s, has said his surgically-repaired back can tighten up in colder weather.

“I think that for me when it’s cooler like this, I need to make sure that my core stays warm, layering up properly,” Woods told reporters.

“I know I won’t have the same range of motion as I would back home in Florida where it’s 95 degrees every day. That’s just the way it is.”

The famous San Francisco fog, which pours in from the Pacific Ocean in the summer, will likely be a bigger factor for the morning groups and Woods is scheduled to tee off on Thursday at 1:58 p.m. local time, when some of it may have burned off.

The fog, also called a marine layer, also keeps the ball from flying as far at the course, which is a challenging 7,251 yard par-70 municipal layout.

“It’s going to be playing longer. It’s heavy air whether the wind blows or not, but it’s still going to be heavy,” he said.

“I’ve known that from all the years and times I’ve had to qualify up in this area… I think the weather forecast is supposed to be like this all week – marine layer, cool, windy -and we are all going to have to deal with it.”

The course, which underwent a massive renovation in 2002-2003, is famous for its overhanging Cypress trees, narrow fairways and nasty rough, which rewards accuracy off the tee.

With the recent battle for supremacy, this year’s edition of the Championship will be competitive.

Jon Rahm’s reign as world number one lasted just two weeks but the Spaniard confirmed he expected the turnover at the top to be the norm going forward with nobody dominating the sport right now.

Rahm rose to the top with a win at the Memorial Tournament on July 19 but quickly lost the crown when Justin Thomas won the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational on Sunday (August 2).

“I think we are in an era right now where it’s going to be hard to have somebody distance themselves,” Rahm told reporters at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco where the first major of the year, the PGA Championship, kicks off on Thursday.

“When you have so many great players playing who go out at the same time, at any given point for two or three months one of us can get hot and take the number one spot. I think we might be entering an era where we bounce back and forth.”

The 25-year-old, who has never won a major but has been knocking on the door in recent years including being tied for third at last year’s U.S. Open, said it was an exciting time for golf and likened it to the battle at the top of men’s tennis.

“You have Rafa (Nadal), (Novak) Djokovic and (Roger) Federer who are competing at the same time. Who is (going to be) number one? You don’t know, it depends on who plays better that year.

“It’s going to be hard to have a Tiger-esque case right now because there’s so many players with so much talent and (they) are really, really good,” he said, referring to the 44-year-old, 15-time major champion Tiger Woods.

Federal High Court Chief Judge Tests Negative For COVID-19

A file photo of the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court of Nigeria, Justice John Tsoho.

 

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court of Nigeria, Justice John Tsoho, and members of his immediate family have tested negative to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

This was confirmed in a statement issued on Tuesday by the court’s acting Information Officer, Catherine Nwandu.

According to the Nwandu, the results of the two COVID-19 tests carried out on the judge and members of his family came out negative.

The statement adds that the two tests were conducted by officials of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in Abuja.

Nwandu explained that Justice Tsoho’s decision to go on self-isolation was preventive rather than curative because a close aide in his office tested positive to COVID- 19, hence the precautionary measures that followed.

“The Federal High Court of Nigeria is pleased to announce that the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court of Nigeria, the Hon. Justice John T. Tsoho, with members of his immediate family, has undergone two COVID -19 tests that have both turned out negative for all of them.

“The first test was done at the beginning of the 14-day self-isolation, while the confirmatory test came thereafter. Both tests were conducted by the NCDC,” the statement partly read.

About 102 Stranded Nigerians Arrive In Abuja From Morocco

102 Stranded Nigerians Arrive In Abuja From Morocco

 

About 102 stranded Nigerians have arrived in Abuja from Morocco.

The evacuees arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on Thursday with Air Morocco from Casablanca.

This was announced on the official Twitter handle of the Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM).

Prior to their return, the commission noted that the evacuees tested negative to COVID-19 and will proceed on a mandatory self-isolation.

“Air Morocco from Casablanca with estimated 102 Nigerians arrive Nnamdi Azikiwe Int’l Airport, Abuja at about 1602hrs from Morroco today 30th July 2020,” the agency said.

“All Evacuees tested Negative to #COVID19 and will now proceed on a 14-day SELF-ISOLATION as mandated by the NCDC.”

See Tweets Below:

Tanker Explodes In Abuja, Injures One

The scene of the explosion in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

 

One person has been reported injured when a tanker went up in flames on the Airport road in the nation’s capital.

According to officials, two other persons escaped without injuries.

The tanker, which was conveying petrol, was heading towards the city centre before the incident.

Officers of the Federal Fire Service, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NCDC, the Police and the Federal Road Safety Corp were able to put out the fire.

The affected lane was also blocked until the area was certified free for movement.

The tanker was later cleared off the road, to prevent any accident.

However, none of the officials wants to speak on camera.

El-Rufai’s Wife, Others March To NASS, Demand Life Imprisonment For Rapists

Members of the Movement Against Rape And Sexual Violence, converge on the Unity Fountain Abuja on July 15, 2020.

 

Members of the Movement Against Rape And Sexual Violence (MARS-V) have converged on the Unity Fountain in the nation’s capital Abuja to demand life imprisonment for rapists.

According to the wife of the Governor of Kaduna State, Mrs Aisha El-Rufai, who is leading members of the group to the National Assembly, the current penalty against rapists is not stringent enough and until stricter penalties are put in place, such incidents may continue to occur.

Just recently, the Minister Of Women Affairs and Social Development, Mrs Pauline Tallen, noted that the incidents of rape across the country, especially during the lockdown, rose to about 3,600.


RELATED:

Senate Recommends Life Imprisonment For Kidnappers, Removes Time Limit On Rape Cases

Buhari Condoles With Family, Charges Police To Fish Out Perpetrators


#JusticeForUwa  #JusticeForBarakat

In May, news of the rape and murder of several girls surfaced, sparking national outrage.

One such case was the murder of a 100-level student of the Department of Microbiology in the University of Benin (UNIBEN), Vera Uwaila Omozuwa.

Read Also: Sexual Violence: Reps Vote Against Castration As Punishment For Rapists

The 22-year-old student was reported to have been raped inside a church where she went to read at the Ikpoba Hill area of Benin City, the Edo State Capital.

The men were reported to have struck her in the head with a fire extinguisher after raping her and left her for dead. She was rushed to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital where she later died.

In like manner, other cases of rape of minors were recorded at the time, in Oyo and Jigawa states all within the space of two weeks.

While the state and Federal Governments vowed to ensure justice is served, the incidents have since sparked conversations about the value of the girl child and how the subject of rape and all forms of abuse appear to be trivialized in the country.

Meanwhile, the House of Representatives on June 4, voted against a prayer seeking to recommend castration as punishment for rapists.

 

 

#JusticeForMaleVictims

 

On July 14, the Senate amended the Criminal Code Act which recommends life imprisonment for kidnappers and deletes the statute of limitations on cases of rape.

Section 218 of the Criminal Code Act (amended) removing the statute of limitations implies that the defilement cases can remain open for as long as possible against the earlier limitation of two months.

The Criminal Code Act Cap. C38 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (SB.02) was sponsored by Distinguished Senator Oluremi Tinubu (Lagos Central Senatorial District) on September 24, 2019.

 

Lawmakers during plenary at the Senate chamber in Abuja (File Photo)

 

The Senate on Tuesday also eliminated the gender restrictions in the offence of rape as Section 357 of the Criminal Code Act defines rape as an offence against women.

It acknowledged that the male gender can also be victims.

Chairman of the Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matter, Opeyemi Bamidele in his presentation, explained that the aim of criminal law and criminal justice system is not only for punishment but also for deterrence, retribution, restoration and rehabilitation of offenders.

Wadume’s Trial Continues In Abuja, Prosecutor Tenders Guns As Evidence

Hamisu Bala a.k.a Wadume (Fie Photo).

 

The trial of alleged kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala, also known as Wadume and six others has continued in Abuja before Justice Binta Murtala-Nyako.

At the last trial, the prosecution presented witness number six as contained in the charge sheet, one Inspector Habila Samuel, a police officer attached to the Intelligence Response Team of the Force Headquarters, Abuja.

The witness explained his findings from the investigation of what transpired in Ibi, Taraba State on August 6, 2019, when soldiers allegedly shot at the police vehicle conveying the arrested Wadume, killing three operatives and two civilians.

Read Also: Group Marches To National Assembly, Demands Life Imprisonment For Rapists

During cross-examination by the prosecution counsel, the witness informed the court that the first defendant, Wadume was tracked by the police based on information, to the Kano home of his uncle where he was receiving treatment for gunshot wounds from a family physician, before his eventual arrest.

Counsel to the second defendant, however, claimed that his client, the station officer at Ibi, Inspector Daje, made his statement with an inducement to implicate a certain army captain, Balarabe while that of the sixth defendant alleged his client, Zubairu Abdullahi, was tortured to get his statement.

Six AK47 guns were also tendered as evidence in the course of the trial.

Six AK47 Guns submitted at the court as evidence.

Fire Breaks Out At World Trade Centre In Abuja

A photo of the World Trade Centre In Abuja.
A photo showing the rear view of the World Trade Centre In Abuja.

 

A fire outbreak has been recorded at the rooftop of the World Trade Centre in Abuja.

An official of the company managing the facility, Mr Ibukun Adeosun explains that the Fire occurred at about 11.30 a.m.

At least three fire service trucks were deployed to contain the fire, which Mr. Adeosun explains did not cause any damage.

READ ALSO: Building Partially Collapses At Ikotun, Lagos

270 Stranded Nigerians To Return From Egypt

The evacuees at the airport in Cairo. Photo: [email protected]

 

Two hundred and seventy Nigerians stranded in Egypt will arrived the country today from Cairo.

This is according to the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) in a tweet on its handle on Friday.

The agency said the evacuees who had tested negative to COVID-19, will arrive at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja by 6:00 pm Nigeria time.

It also explained that there are two foreign nationals aboard the Egypt Air bringing the Nigerians homes.

READ ALSO: China Bans Some Food Imports After Coronavirus Detected On Shrimp

 

Their return comes exactly one week after eighty six Nigerians arrived the country from Sudan.

The Chairman of NIDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, disclosed this in a tweet on her handle where she said they arrived the country via Air Sudan.

According to her, the returnees will go on a 14-day isolation, in line with the guidelines set by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) as well as the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.

Also, NIDCOM tweeted on its handle that the returnees had tested negative to COVID-19.

On Wednesday the same week, 172 Nigerians citizens arrived Abuja from Uganda and Kenya at around 10:20 am via Air Peace flight from Nairobi.

While some of the evacuees disembarked in the nation’s capital, others proceeded to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.

VIDEO: Nigeria’s Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, has explained how the ministry is working to ensure the safety of passengers as airports reopen for domestic flights.

PHOTOS: Nigerians Comply With COVID-19 Protocols As Domestic Flights Resume

PHOTOS: Sodiq Adelakun/ Channels Television July 8., 2020.

 

As domestic flight operations resumed at the Murtala International Airport, Lagos, and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on Wednesday, Nigerians were seen at the airports complying with the COVID-19 protocols.

Flight operations had been shut for over three months as part of efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

But following approval by the president, the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 gave the go-ahead for the commencement of domestic flights.

See photos of Nigerians complying with the set protocols as they embarked on their journeys.

Domestic Flight Operations Resume In Lagos And Abuja

Flight operations resume in Abuja. Photos: Sodiq Adelakun/ChannelsTV, July 8, 2020.

 

Flight operations in Lagos State and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja have resumed after over three months of being shut down following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, the turnout of passengers was low as Channels Television monitored activities at the domestic wing of the Murtala International Airport, Lagos.

Passengers were seen wearing face masks, observing social distancing and adhering to other COVID-19 protocols.

It was gathered that only five airlines have been given approval to fly.

 

 

 

Read Also: Domestic Flight Operations Resume In Lagos And Abuja

Meanwhile, in Abuja, passengers were also seen arriving at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to board flights to Lagos.

 

 

The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 gave the go-ahead for the commencement of domestic flights following approval by the president.

On July 1, the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika announced that the Abuja and Lagos airports will resume domestic operations on July 8, while the Kano, Port Harcourt, Owerri and Maiduguri airports would resume on the 11th.

Other airports are also expected to resume operations on the 15th.

 

 

Sirika, however, noted that a date for the international airports will be announced in due course. See more photos here.

Lawmakers Inspect Abuja Airport Ahead Of Domestic Flight Resumption

This photo taken on July 6, 2020, shows the front view of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. Members of the House Committee on Aviation have inspected the airport ahead of the resumption of domestic flights scheduled for July 8, 2020. Photo: Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

 

Some members of the House of Representatives have paid an inspection visit to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.

The lawmakers, who comprise members of the House Committee on Aviation, inspected the airport on Monday ahead of the resumption of domestic flights in the country.

During the visit, the lawmakers advocated the need for relevant agencies to ensure compliance with safety protocols amid the rising cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria.

This comes barely a week after the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, said the airport in the nation’s capital and the Murtala Mohammed International Airport would resume domestic operations on Wednesday.

He also announced that the airports in Kano, Port Harcourt, Owerri (Imo State), and Maiduguri (Borno State) would also resume local operations on Saturday, while other airports would resume on July 15.

According to the minister, the date for resumption of international flights will be announced in due course.

Highpoints of the lawmakers’ visit to the airport in Abuja are captured below:

Members of the House Committee on Aviation inspect the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on July 8, 2020, ahead of the resumption of domestic flights in the country. PHOTOS: Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

Troops Foil Attempted Kidnap Along Abuja-Kaduna Expressway

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ
A file photo of troops.

 

Troops of the Operation Thunder Strike have foiled an attempted kidnap of passengers along the Abuja-Kaduna expressway by armed bandits.

This was confirmed by the Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche in a statement issued on Friday.

Enenche noted that the operation was carried out on June 25 under the auspices of the ongoing Operation Accord.

“Sequel to actionable Human Intelligence on the activities of armed bandits between Olams and Alheri camp along the Abuja-Kaduna expressway, troops promptly deployed to the scene and engaged the bandits with effective firepower.

READ ALSO: Alleged Discrimination: Nigerians Attack Nigerian Embassy In Indonesia

“Troops overwhelmed the criminals with high-intensity fire, forcing them to abandon their heinous mission and fled into the forest in disarray.

“As troops engaged the bandits, passengers in the targeted vehicle, a Toyota Hiace Bus with registration number Lagos MUS-944FR travelling from Abuja to Kaduna, managed to escape in various directions into the surrounding bushes,” the statement partly read.

The defence spokesman noted that the troops, adopting an aggressive posture, pursued the bandits deep into the forest and inflicted fatal injuries on them while also exhibiting the requisite composure in recovering all the passengers who escaped into the bush during the encounter.

Meanwhile, the military has begun a massive manhunt for the fleeing bandits with aggressive patrols along the axis.

This comes as efforts made to get the passengers unhurt yielded positive results as they have been accounted for.