ABUTH Doctors Begin Three Days Warning Strike

Doctors, ABUTH, Strike, HospltalResident doctors at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH), Zaria in Kaduna State on Monday commenced a three-day warning strike.

The President of the Association of Resident Doctors at the hospital, Dr. Waziri Aliyu, said the strike was the last option to press home their demands.

The doctors had last week Monday, staged a peaceful protest in view of the fact that the management was not willing to yield to their requests.

Some of the anomalies they are protesting against are poor working environment and facilities, non-payment of full salaries and allowances, victimisation of members and reinstatement of sacked colleagues among others.

Dr. Aliyu commended the courage of members of the union for their total compliance.

He urged them to remain resolute and endure the difficulties they might encounter during the period.

Outstanding Salaries: ABUTH Doctors Threaten To Begin Indefinite Strike

hospitalThe Association of Resident Doctors at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria in Kaduna State has threatened to embark on an indefinite strike if their outstanding salaries are not paid by the end of August 2016.

They are also asking the government to address what they referred to as ‘deplorable state of facilities’ at the hospital.

At a meeting held after a peaceful protest on Monday, the President of the Association, Dr Waziri Aliyu, accused the hospital’s management of short-changing doctors of their rightful entitlements and victimising some of their members.

He also expresses displeasure over the poor environmental sanitation at the hospital.

The union said the doctors’ salaries had not been paid in full since 2013.

Marching from one department to another, the group appealed to the management to re-instate their sacked colleagues and immediately commence payment of all outstanding courses and examination allowances, fix the leaking sewages and clear all the grasses among others.

The doctors further claimed that their salaries were not at par with that of their colleagues in other teaching hospitals across Nigeria, a situation they said made them one of the least paid medical workers at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital.

The resident doctors said it was the first time they would be embarking on an industrial action to press their demands.

Pending any last minute resolution with the management, they vowed that nothing short of the management addressing all their demands would deter them from embarking on an indefinite strike at the end of August.

Reacting to the issues and demands raised by the resident doctors, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Professor Lawal Khalid, attributed the non-payment of their outstanding entitlements to lack of funds.

He appealed to the doctors to shelve the planned strike, assuring them that all outstanding emoluments would be paid to them as soon as funds were available.

 

Shiites-Army Clash: Kaduna State Govt Says Over 340 Bodies Buried

Army Shiites clashThe Kaduna State Government says no fewer than 347 dead bodies were given a mass burial after the violence clash between members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria and the Nigerian Army which occurred in Zaria on December 12, 2015.

The Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Balarabe Lawal, gave the testimony when he appeared before the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the State government to investigate the cause of the incident.

Although members of the group have maintained that corpses of the victims were secretly buried at an unidentified cemetery by the Army, this is the first time the state government is giving an information about how the remains of the killed Shiites were disposed.

Members of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry investigating the December 2015 bloody clash held their session at the General Usman Katsina House, with submissions made by witnesses to the incident.

The commission has so far received submissions from the Nigerian Army, but Tuesday session featured some officials of the Kaduna State government led by the SSG.

While making his submission, Mr Lawal said that 191 corpses were taken from the Nigerian Army Depot, Zaria, and were later buried at Mando area in the outskirt of the state capital.

He further told the commission that another 156 corpses were also conveyed from the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH), Zaria, to the same Mando cemetery for mass burial.

The State government said the corpses were committed into a single grave at Mando and jointly supervised by the State government officials and about 40 men of the Nigerian Army.

The SSG informed the panel that 189 suspects were being prosecuted for alleged involvement in the Zaria clash while one of them died in custody.

On the alleged demolition of buildings and structures of the IMN leader, Sheik El-Zakzaky and other members, the SSG explained that the buildings were demolished because they did not meet up government’s approved building safety standards.

Counsels to the commission, JNI and Nigerian Army cross examined the SSG on the submission.

Another witness and Director-General, Kaduna State Interfaith Agency, Namadi Musa, who claimed he supervised the burial, said the corpses were buried on December 14 and 15 respectively, and that the mass burial was authorised through a warrant of burial obtained from a Chief Magistrates Court in the state capital,

Another witness, a representative of the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Professor Adamu Ahmed, who is the Deputy Chief Medical Director, narrated how armed soldiers invaded the hospital, prevented the workers from discharging their duties and also carted away corpses from the hospital’s mortuary.

The Justice Muhammed Lawal-Garba’s panel also received submissions from the Izala Islamic group and the Gyellesu Community in Zaria.

Shiites Funded By Iranian Government

The elder brother of the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, Muhammad Sani Yaqoob, in his submission, commended the actions taken by the Nigerian Army in the December clash between soldiers and the Shiites in Zaria which he said was caused by the group who blocked the convoy of the Chief of Army Staff.

Speaking in Hausa language, he alleged that the movement got funding from the Iranian government, and had been harassing and intimidating residents of Zaria and Kaduna state over the years.

Although members of the Islamic movement in Nigeria and their lawyers have withdrawn further appearance before the panel, a statement issued by their spokesman after the proceedings, said the recent revelations made by Kaduna State government through the SSG had clearly vindicated them from any wrong doing.

The public hearing will continue for the next three weeks and members of the public are anxiously awaiting the outcome and recommendations that would be made by the commission.

Bomb Blast: Kaduna Govt Bans Street Hawking, Begging

bomb attack in kadunaFollowing Tuesday’s bomb blast at Sabon Gari Local Government Secretariat in Kaduna state that killed 25 people and left 32 others injured, Kaduna State Government has banned all forms of street begging and hawking with immediate effect.       

A suspected female suicide bomber sneaked into the secretariat and detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) strapped to her body on Tuesday morning while civil servants were undergoing staff verification.

Eyewitness accounts said the female suicide bomber had joined the queue of workers, pretending to be part of those undergoing the verification exercise before detonating the explosive device that sent the entire secretariat into a pandemonium.

In a statement issued by spokesman for the Kaduna State Governor,  shortly after the blast, said the ban is to enhance security in the state.

The statement warned all beggars and hawkers to stay off the streets until further notice, warning that any of them found on the streets would be arrested, until these measures are relaxed.

In addition, the government reiterates that the ban on commercial motorcycles popularly known as ‘Achaba’ remains in force.

The government also urged the citizens to report all suspicious persons and movements to the security agencies for prompt action.

The 32 injured persons are being treated at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, while the remains of the 25 dead bodies have been deposited at the hospital’s mortuary.

Governor El-Rufai also said that the state government is working with Federal Security Agencies that are taking proactive measures to frustrate such terrorists.