Police Foil Bank Robbery, Arrest Bank Staff, Security Men

Police Foil Bank Robbery, Arrest Bank Staff, Security MenThe Police in Rivers State have arrested a senior bank staff and security personnel attached to the bank involved in the foiled armed robbery attack on an Access Bank branch in Port Harcourt, Rivers state.

According to Police Public Relations Officer, DCP Don Awunah, caches of arms and ammunition were also recovered from the suspects who are five in number.

He stated that the five suspects, along with others still at large, stormed a branch of Access Bank in Port Harcourt, on December 22, 2016 relying on information and active involvement of the staff of the bank.

They successfully broke down the well-fortified security doors and barriers and took over the banking hall.

“They were almost pulling down the vault of the bank and other strong rooms in the bank with use of gas cylinder welding machine and iron cutters before the joint Police Teams of IGP’S Intelligence Response Team and Policemen from Rivers state Police Command swiftly moved in and dislodged them,” he stated.

The Police foiled the armed robbery attack and “made a prompt arrest of three of the suspects at the scene; namely Samuel Nwala ‘M’ 28 years, Lucky Ukwuoma ‘M’ 26 years, Kaale Taagabah ‘M’ 27 years”.

“In the course of thorough investigation into the foiled armed robbery attack on the bank, the principal suspect (Samuel Ndudiri ‘M’ 28 years) who is a staff of the bank and the mastermind of the armed robbery attack was subsequently arrested based on the confessional statements volunteered by the three suspects arrested at the scene.

“The arrest of the principal suspect led to the arrest of Ex SGT Promise Ukwuoma who participated actively in the armed robbery attack on the bank.

“Two AK47 riffles and the ammunition were recovered from him.

“All the suspects have volunteered confessional and useful statements to the Police about the various criminal roles they played in the commission of the crime.

“However, concerted efforts are being intensified to arrest other suspects still at large and bring them to justice.

“The case will be charged to court on completion of investigation,” he stated.

Asides the two AK47 rifles and magazines fully loaded with ammunition, other items recovered from the suspects are a welding machine, two gas cylinders and iron cutters, a big chisel, cutting saw, hammer, and acetylene gas powder.

Police Parade Crime Suspects In Kaduna

Police, Kaduna, CrimeThe Kaduna State Police Command has arrested over 40 crime suspects who specialise in armed robbery, snatching of cars, cattle rustling and stealing household items.

The state’s Commissioner of Police, Adamu Ibrahim, disclosed this when he paraded the suspects before reporters at the Police Officers’ Mess in the Kaduna State’s capital, northwest Nigeria.

He said that the suspects were arrested by the Police at different locations in the state during an operation, while several AK47 rifles, pistols, live ammunition and cartridges were recovered from them.

Mr Ibrahim who said all the arrests were made within the month of May, added that vehicles of various kinds, television sets, laptops and handsets were recovered from them during the operation.

He revealed that the suspects usually take their stolen vehicles to Niger Republic, where they sell them to their accomplices.

He noted that one of them had a device with which he used to neutralise a vehicle tracker, thereby preventing owners of such cars from tracking them when they were stolen.

One of the robbery suspects, Ibrahim Kabir, who was arrested last year for the same offence confessed to the crime, but blamed it to the devil’s handiwork.

Another female suspect arrested for allegedly keeping guns for one of the suspects, who incidentally was her boyfriend, narrated how she got involved in the act.

The Kaduna State Police Commissioner reiterated that the command would not relent in its fight against criminals and criminality throughout the state.

He urged the car owners to come to the command with their vehicle papers to claim their vehicles.

Army Says Over 100 Armed Bandits Killed In Nigeria’s North West In 2015

ArmyThe General Officer Commanding, 1 Mechanized Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Adeniyi Oyebade, has announced that over 100 armed bandits including members of the Boko Haram sect and cattle rustlers were killed within the North West zone in 2015.

He disclosed this while addressing a news conference in his office to review the activities of the division in 2015.

He said that 21 key members of the Boko Haram terrorist group were arrested and hundreds of their camps destroyed within the year under review.

The military operations which led to the recovery of the weapons and killing of the criminals in the zone were Operation MESSA, Operation Restore Peace, Operation Sharan Daji, among others.

The recovered weapons include assorted types of SMGs, AK47 Rifles, machine guns, locally made pistols among others.

The GOC, while displaying them before reporters at the 1 Division headquarters in Kaduna, said that the weapons were recovered from the bandits during military operations in states within the North West Zone. They are Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara.

The GOC said that about 37,000 livestock were rescued and handed over to the state committees charged with the responsibility of handing them over to their owners.

Also arrested were 294 cattle rustlers who have been handed over to the Police for prosecution. He added that

While 101 armed bandits were killed in 2015, the GOC announced that the Army lost six soldiers in the various operations.

He maintained that Boko Haram has been defeated. According to him, what is happening at the moment is mop-up operation for which he solicited support from the communities.

He reassured residents of the North West zone that the Army would do everything possible as mandated by the constitution to protect lives and property but they are also expected to go about their activities without molestation.

General Oyebade also stated that the Nigerian Army has no apology over its recent action against members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria in Zaria.

He insisted that such action would be meted against any group or sect that threatens the peace and stability of the country.

Insurgents Kill 29 In Borno Village

Boko HaramAt least 29 people are feared dead in Dille village of Askira Uba in Borno State following an attack by suspected Boko Haram insurgents.

Many villagers have sustained gunshot wounds.

The insurgents reportedly invaded Dille and neighbouring villages at about 1pm on Monday, armed with AK47 rifles and petrol bombs.

Fleeing residents said that the insurgents invaded Dille with sophisticated weapons in a convoy of 5 Hilux vehicles and motorcycles and carried out their attack unchallenged.

Federal lawmaker representing the area, Jubrin Satumari, has confirmed the incident which he blamed on the lack of security presence in the area.

Satumari has made a passionate appeal to the new service chiefs to step up their counter insurgency efforts.

Monday’s attack in Dille village is the third in two weeks, according to the residents.

Nigerian Army Denies Report Of Mutiny In Maimalari Barracks

Nigerian soldiers gather during preparations for their deployment to Mali, at the army's peacekeeping centre in NigeriaDirector, Defence Information in the Army, Major-General Chris Olukolade, in a press statement on Friday said “the online report titled ‘Second Mutiny in Maimalari Barracks as Soldiers Manhandled Commander’ is not true.”

The Nigerian Military has been under fire in recent times for a seeming incapability to bring the Boko Haram insurgency to an end.

A media platform online had reported a case of mutiny in Maimalari Barracks, but according to Olukolade, “what the online outlet garnished and dubbed as ‘mutiny’ was just a presentation of complaints by representatives of personnel families who wanted the ban on motorcycles as a means of public transportation in the barracks reversed.”

The statement further read that “soldiers were not involved and there was no single shot fired by soldiers throughout the period as claimed in the report.”

The Major-General explained that the ban was part of security measures put in place for the safety of the soldiers and their families.  “The Acting General Officer Commanding obliged their request and directed a suspension of the ban pending when the planned alternative transportation arrangement is put in place.  He was not insulted or manhandled as reported.”

“The imputation of mutiny was concocted by the online medium ostensibly to raise false alarm and create the impression of disquiet in the military.  It is very obvious that a section of the media is feasting on the current security challenges and is desperate to sustain the tempo of the crisis through sensational reportage.  Mutiny is a very grievous breach that attracts severe sanctions in the military and should not be trivialized by those who do not understand its ramifications.”

“The general public is therefore requested to discountenance the rumours as no such incident took place. The mass media is again requested to beware of lifting stories on the military from online media as this has become the main channel of disseminating falsehood on happenings in the system.”

“In another development, cordon and search exercise has led to the discovery of Rocket Launcher production facility at Dorayi District in Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.  The discovery follows the arrest of a prominent member of the terrorists group.  Locally made Anti-Aircraft Gun and Mortar accessories as well as Rocket Propelled Grenade tubes and Launcher along with accessories were recovered.  Also seized were three AK47 rifles and hundreds of rounds of assorted ammunition, as well as drilling machines and other fabricating equipment.”

The Army has now urged the general public to report suspicious persons to security agencies in their localities to prevent unwholesome act by terrorists.