Ondo Launches New Health Scheme Centred On Adolescents

Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko has launched a new health programme centred on the adolescents and youths in the State. It is termed the Strategic Framework and Action Plan for the Adolescent and Youth Friendly Health Programme.

Speaking at the occasion in Akure, the State Capital, Governor Mimiko disclosed that the programme is a product of tremendous hard work that had been done in detailed planning in reflection of his administration’s commitment to offering the young people healthcare that matches global best practices.

He also emphasised that in order to achieve the goal of empowering the youth, they need to be vibrant and healthy.

He added that government had become more enlightened on the challenges facing young people in the area of health and development such as unintended pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections, HIV/AIDS and unsafe abortion.

According to him, this programme will give the young ones the unrestricted access to quality health services.
The event, held at the Babafunke Ajasin Auditorium, Akure, had in attendance top government functionaries, politicians, health workers, students in health training institutions, youths, adolescents and members of the public.

NCAA Suspends Operations Of Associated Airline

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has suspended the operations of Associated Airlines, following the crash of its aircraft in Lagos on Thursday, which killed 13 people.

The Director General of the NCAA, Mr Fola Akinkuotu, announced this during a visit to the survivors of the air mishap at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.

This is coming barely a day after the aviation regulatory body said The Embraer 120 plane which crashed in Lagos was certified fit to fly, and had a current certificate of air worthiness valid till October the 22nd, 2013.

The Director, Consumer Protection, NCAA, Mr. Adamu Abdullahi, yesterday said from its records, the airline was certified fit to fly by its flight maintenance engineer, who was also aboard the flight, when it took off.

He did point out also that the airline possesses an air operators’ certificate, an air worthiness certificate, valid till October 22nd this year, and an insurance policy valid until June next year.

In the briefing, Mr. Abdullahi said the airline last operated the aircraft on August 22nd this year, with no hitches, and refused questions from reporters, because he said the NCAA is also under investigation.

An Associated Airlines plane conveying the remains of the former governor of Ondo state, Olusegun Agagu to Akure for his official lying-in-state crashed at about 9:30 am on Thursday, with 20 passengers on board the chartered flight a few minutes after take-off, at the Lagos Airport cargo shed.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) began rescue efforts shortly after the crash with the Nigerian Police, the Nigerian fire service, and the Nigerian Air Force alongside the army, the Lagos state emergency agency, and all made efforts to rescue the survivors and retrieve corpses of the dead.

The flight recorder of the plane was recovered and handed over to the Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB).

 

Crashed Associated Airline Plane Was Airworthy – FAAN

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, FAAN, has revealed that the Brazil made Embraer 120 plane which crashed in Lagos, on Thursday morning, was air worthy.

Speaking during a telephone interview on Channels Television’s flagship breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, on Friday, the agency’s General Manager, Corporate Communications, Yakubu Datti, said that the aircraft “had a current certificate of air worthiness till October 2015” as well as “an insurance policy till June 2014.”

Mr Datti further disclosed that the 30 passenger capacity aircraft which was registered in Nigeria on the 22nd of May, 2007, last operated on the 22nd of August, 2013 before the ill-fated flight which led to the loss of lives  on the 3rd of October.

“The aircraft was certified fit for flying by one of the airlines aircraft maintenance engineer prior to the fatal flight,” he said. The engineer was also on board the plane.

Speaking on conflicting reports of the number of survivors, which has been pegged at 7, Mr Datti explained that “survivors were rushed to three different hospital locations”

As at yesterday, we were able to confirm that seven persons survived, though 6 are responding to treatment, one is still unconscious”.

He admitted that the agency’s fire fighters had a major challenge of crowd management but they were still able to extinguish the fire within two minutes of arriving at the scene.

He further attributed the ability to save some lives to the fire fighters’ efforts at the scene of the crash.

However, “one must commend the Lagos state government and also the Nigerian police and Air force who were able to ensure that the road was free to convey the surviving victims to the hospital location”.

Following speculations that the aircraft may have attempted to return to the airport after take-off, Mr Dati said information available to the agency revealed that the plane crashed barely two minutes after.

“It was actually in the process of taking off”.

He confirmed that there were no ground casualties as the “plane actually landed on the fence of Joint Users Hydrant Installation (JUHI) premises”.

FAAN’s spokesman said the agency “has contacted some of the families of the victims and we are making concerted efforts to reach other families”.

He commended the rescue efforts of all agencies as well as Lagos state officials involved in the rescue operation.

Commenting on the response time to the accident, Mr Datti said it took just two minutes to get to the crash site, adding that, “immediately it happened, our control tower activated the crash alarm and immediately the relevant agencies moved to the site”.

 

I Am The Only Youth Council President – Abdulmajeed

The president, National Youth Council of Nigeria, Abdullahi Abdulmajeed has cleared the air on the crisis that is happening in the congress, stating that he is the only “Youth Council President”.

Mr. Abdulmajeed who was a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily explained that the whole issue started with the cancellation of an Akure Congress, then proceeded to Markudi congress where the executives were dissolved, stating that no mandate was given.

He said another congress was held in Minna from August 21st to 24th where he was elected as the president of the congress.

Contrary to conflicting reports that Yakubu Shendam is the president of the congress, Abdulmajeed said that Mr. Shendam was purported to have been elected at the Markudi congress”, stating that there were no elections held at that congress.

He stated that the minister after dissolving the congress in Markudi announced a list of 23 excos, which he said the minister didn’t have the right to do as it is “unconstitutional”.

Referring to the “purported winner” at the Markudi congress, he stated that there was no form of swearing-in ceremony or issuance of return certificate.

Referring to the congress at Minna, he said he was sworn in by a chief magistrate, in the presence of the media and a certificate of return was issued, after an election where he claims to have scored 200 votes out of 305 total votes cast.

ICT Is The Fastest Growing Sector Of The Economy- MInister

The Minister of Information and Communications Technology, Mrs. Omobola Johnson on Thursday identified ICT as the fastest growing sector of the Nigerian economy.

She also added that “there are still tremendous opportunities for growth, job and wealth creation which various Stakeholders in the sector can tap into”.

The Minister stated this in her keynote address at the meeting of the National Council on Communication Technology holding in Akure, Ondo State Capital.

She noted that the Council acts as a consultative body for the Governments of the Federation in matters pertaining to ICT with a view to achieving some degree of uniformity in the sector.

Ondo state governor, Olusegun Mimiko in his opening speech commended the efforts of the Minister in ICT development.

He however called for the bridging of the gap of access to ICT between the rural and the urban populace as well as the poor and the affluent in the society.

Goodwill messages were delivered by few key Stakeholders at the meeting, including the Chairman House of Representative Committee on ICT, Hon Oyetunde Ojo and the President of Nigeria Computer Society, Prof David Adewumi.

Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju in a chat with Channels television explained some of the areas in which ICT has been applied in the State’s health sector.

This is the second meeting of the National Council on Communication Technology, coming after the first and inaugural meeting which was held in Abuja last year.

The National Council on Communication Technology is a forum for interaction of Stakeholders in Information and Communication Technology in Nigeria.

Ondo Jail Break: Police Re-Arrests 54 Prisoners

Officers of the Ondo State Command of the Nigeria Police Force have re-arrested 54 out of the 175 prisoners who escaped from the Olokuta Medium Security Prison, Akure when some gunmen attacked the prison few days ago.

The Public Relations Officer of the Command, Mr. Wole Ogodo, who stated this in a statement, also denied a newspaper report that 10 travelers were shot and killed by the gunmen during the attack.

According to the Police Spokesperson “The attack on the prisons was carried out by some armed robbers mainly aimed at liberating some members of their gang who were in prison custody.

“No death was recorded either on the side of the security agents, inmate or any traveller.”

Meanwhile, security has been beefed  up in Akure and its environs; and other towns such as Ondo, Idanre and Owo by security operatives who have launched a search party for the prisoners still at large.

175 Prisoners Escape in Ondo Prison Break

The Medium Security Prison of The Nigeria Prisons Service located in Olokuta, along Ondo Road Akure, Ondo State Capital has been broken into leading to the escape of about 175 inmates.

According to the Controller of Prisons in Ondo State, Tunde Olayiwola the attackers arrived at about 12:05 armed with guns and explosives which they used to break the prison wall, which led to the escape of the inmates.

It all started when gunmen, numbering about 30 at about 12:05 this morning, attacked the Medium Security Prison, Olokuta, Ondo Road, Akure, shooting sporadically, with bullets penetrating the fortified walls, gates, and floors.

They gained entrance into the prison by using explosives, which shook the foundations of the prison to blast the wall when they could not enter through the steel door at the main entrance.

Meanwhile, the Public Relations Officer of Ondo State Police Command, Wole Ogodo in an interview with newsmen in his office allayed the fears of the people of the State.

The Police image maker however noted that the attack has nothing to do with terrorists’ attack such as Boko Haram.

The State Police Commissioner Mr Patrick Dokumor and The State Commissioner for Justice and Attorney General, Eyitayo Jegede were part of top public officials that visited the prison this morning to assess the situation, where bullets and the explosives the armed men used for the operation still littered the whole vicinity.

The prison which was built in 1989 was meant to accommodate 160 inmates.

FAAN Insists They Have No Business Dealings With Rivers Government

The spokesman of Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Yakubu Dati has responded to issues surrounding the private jet owned by the Rivers state governor Rotimi Amaechi, which was claimed to be grounded; stating that theyhave no business dealings with the Rivers state government because they are in talks with the owners of the plane, Bank of Salt Lake City, Utah.

While speaking on Channels Television’s Breakfast Show Sunrise Daily, Dati explained that the private plane applied to come into Nigeria from America and was given clearance on the 27th of March to leave on the 2nd of April; the application was made by the owners of the aircraft.

He added that it was wrong for a foreign registered aircraft to fly into the country and embark on domestic shuttles without notifying the aviation authorities.

Dati also said the authorities had no information that the Rivers government was operating on the said aircraft.

He said investigations show that the aircraft had flown to airports beyond Owerri and Akure that were not captured in the documentation they submitted while coming into the country even after the expiration of the permit.

Kidnapped Journalist Freed

The journalist with the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) in Akure, Olubunmi Oke, who was kidnapped on Thursday, has been released.

Mrs Oke was reportedly returning from her office located along Ondo Road, Akure to her residence in Oba-Ile Housing Estate at the time of the incident.

“I confirm that she has been released. I spoke with her early this morning shortly after she was set free by her abductors,” Rotimi Obamuwagun, the vice president of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, said.

“She is hale and hearty and happy to be back home,” he said.

Mrs Oke’s baby and maid were with her when she was kidnapped but were later released by her abductors, who took her alone to an unknown destination.

“She was set free and abandoned in a bush near Ondo town, about 30 kilometres (19 miles) from Akure from where she boarded a lorry home,” Mr Obamuwagun said.

It is unclear if any ransom was paid before she was released. The abductors had demanded N8million.

NTA Akure Journalist Kidnapped

A female journalist with the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) in Akure, the Ondo state capital, has been kidnapped.

Olubunmi Oke was abducted on her way home from the office on Thursday by four unknown persons and taken to an unknown destination.

It was gathered that after overtaking her car and forcing it to stop, the men dragged Mrs Oke into their car, leaving her five month-old child and her house maid in her own vehicle.

While the management of the television station has refused to comment on the incident, the spokesman of the state police command, Wole Ogodo, also could not confirm the abduction, saying he had no permission to speak on it.

Mimiko flags off maternal health week

The November 2012 Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Week has been flagged off in Ondo State by Governor Olusegun Mimiko.

The state governor though absent was represented by the first lady of Ondo state; Mrs. Olukemi Mimiko at the occasion in Akure the state capital.

She said the programme is meant to sensitize women so that they stay healthy by adhering to all the health practices, including routine immunisation of their babies.

Mrs .Mimiko was accompanied by the Health Commissioner; Dayo Adeyanju and present at the mother-child friendly programme were government officials, health workers, and representatives of partner agencies at the occasion.Pregnant women and nursing mothers were also present in their numbers at the premises of The Basic Health Centre, Ondo Road Akure ; the venue of the programme.

Speaking to Newsmen at the flag off, Mrs Mimiko said the maternal new-born, and child health week is organised to ensure safe delivery, routine child immunization, adequate breastfeeding so that the children could grow old and healthy.

She expressed gratitude to Governor Mimiko, officials of the ministry of Health and the Hospitals Management Board for giving women quality attention.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju lamented that some children under age five still die of preventable diseases.

He noted that this calls for proper sensitization of the mothers and other caregivers on key health practices such as: immunisation, sleeping under insecticide treated mosquito nets, hand washing, deworming, breastfeeding and birth registration among others.

Insecticide treated mosquito nets were distributed freely to all the pregnant women and nursing mothers at the end of the programme.

Health officials on ground also used the opportunity to immunise the babies presented by their mothers.

NFA sings Sunshine praise despite CAF exit

Nigeria football governing body the NFA (Nigerian Football Association) has praised the only flag bearer for Nigeria in the CAF Champions League for the 2012 season Sunshine Stars FC of Akure who lost to Al-Ahly of Egypt in Cairo on a 4-3 aggregate to end their dream of lifting the CAF trophy.

Chief Emeka Inyama; the Chairman of the NFA Media and Publicity Committee, commended the team for their efforts for they gave a good account of themselves in the CAF Champions League.

Inyama said Sunshine Stars deserve plaudits from Nigerians as the same club got to the semi-final of the CAF Confederation Cup last year and has made an indelible mark in the 2012 CAF Champions League.

Inyama said the team could have done better in the first leg against Ahly if not for the strike action embarked upon by the players before that match, he therefore urged the Nigeria Premier League’s (NPL) 2010/2011 runners-up to build on their experience in the competition for future competitions.

The Egyptian side defeated the Nigerian team by one goal in the second leg match played in Cairo after recording a 3-3 draw in Ijebu Ode in the first leg encounter.