Just as peace was believed to be finally returning to southern Kaduna, reports say several persons have been killed in the area in fresh attacks, leaving many houses burnt.
The attack was said to have occurred in Dakin-Kogi community of Kaninkon chiefdom in Jemaa Local Government Area.
Gunmen also reportedly attacked another village in Kaura local government in the early hours of Monday.
An indigene of Kaninkon told Channels Television that the gunmen stormed the village in large numbers on Sunday night, shooting sporadically.
The Spokesman for the Kaduna State Government, Samuel Aruwan, who confirmed the attacks in a statement, says the situation has been brought under control by troops.
These latest attacks are coming as the Kaduna state government continues with the effort to end the violence which has claimed many lives and displaced scores from their ancestral homes in southern Kaduna.
Unknown gunmen have attacked Zankan village in Kaura Local Government Area of Kaduna state, killing one person and injuring five others.
Spokesman for the Kaduna State Police Command, Aliyu Usman, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent, said that the gunmen invaded the community, a predominantly Fulani settlement on Saturday night and opened fire on the residents.
He said that security operatives have been deployed to the area to avert any form of fresh attacks or reprisal.
An indigene of the area and Deputy Chief Imam in Jema’a Emirate Council, Mohammed Kabiru also disclosed that the gunmen attacked the village at about 9PM.
He said that they shot a 13-year-old boy dead, while other injured persons have been rushed to a hospital in nearby Plateau state.
The attack comes barely three days after Fulanis and natives of Southern Kaduna reached an accord to end the killings in the area.
Zankan is a border town between Plateau and Kaduna state.
The Traditional ruler of Jema’a Chiefdom in Kaduna State, Alhaji Muhammad Isa Muhammad II, was on Wednesday attacked by rampaging youths in Samaru Kataf, Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
An eyewitness and a member of the emir’s cabinet, said the emir was returning to Kafanchan after attending a security meeting with the state governor, Nasir El-Rufai in the state capital when he was attacked.
He told reporters that the meeting had centred on issues relating to the recent Southern Kaduna killings.
Although the traditional ruler was not injured during the attack, three of his cars which were in the convoy in which he was travelling were destroyed by the attackers.
“When we reach Samaru Kataf, some armed youths surrounded us with all kinds of weapons and started attacking our convoy. We immediately turned back to Kachia for our safety,” he narrated.
He asked the government to fully investigate the Southern Kaduna crises holistically, adding that the people behind the crises should be punished without fear or favour.
He also called on both Muslims and Christians in the state to embrace peace, as all religions teach peace, in order to move the state forward.
When contacted, the Kaduna State police command’s spokesman, Aliyu Usman, said security have been deployed to the area to forestall any further breakdown of law and order.
The youth may have been angered by renewed attack on the community that claimed the lives of three persons earlier in the day.
Some other persons were injured the attack on the southern Kaduna community.
The deaths occurred when gunmen suspected to be herdsmen launched an attack on the community.
The Kaduna Police spokesperson, Aliyu Usman, who confirmed the incident did not speak on the casualty.
But an indigene of the area told Channels Television that the attack occurred near a market on Tuesday night, shortly after the state government relaxed the 24-hour curfew that was imposed on the Local Government by the State Security Council in December 2016.
Another resident of Samaru Kataf described the latest incident as a reprisal attack by the Fulani Herdsmen to avenge the killing of some of their people by the locals in the same area in November 2016 .
A former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Bagudu Hirse, kidnapped in Kaduna a northern Nigerian State has been rescued by security operatives.
Ambassador Hirse’s rescue is coming six days after he was abducted by persons suspected to be in ‘kidnapping business’.
Spokesman of the Kaduna Police Command, Aliyu Usman, confirmed his freedom on Saturday to Channels Television.
Mr Usman said the former Minister was rescued in Kaduna State capital on Saturday morning following a massive manhunt of his abductors by security operatives.
“The former Minister is hale and hearty at the point of his release and has been reunited with his family,” the police spokesman said.
He also stated that no ransom was paid to secure his release.
The former Minister was abducted last Sunday by gunmen when he visited President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, Mr Mamman Daura, at his Inuwa Road residence in Kaduna Metropolis.
According to reports, the former Minister in company of a friend, had gone to pay condolence visit to the family of the late Sultan of Sokoto, Ibrahim Dasuki on Kabiru Road, few meters away from Inuwa Wada road and were said to have stopped over at the house of Daura who was at home and was receiving guests and other family members.
While they alighted from his car and were exchanging pleasantries with some guests who were standing in front of the house, three men inside an ash coloured Toyota Corolla car stopped, jumped down from the car and whisked the former Minister away almost immediately.
Cases of kidnapping of high profile individuals is becoming rampant in Kaduna state.
Only last month, a former Minister of Environment, Mrs Laurenttia Mallam and her husband were abducted by gunmen along Abuja-Kaduna highway, and were released few days after.
This is inspite of the inauguration of a special anti-kidnapping squad in the state by the Inspector General of Police two months ago
Fulani leaders and traditional leaders in Kaduna state have agreed to a peace pact aimed at ensuring an end to the bloody clashes that have left several people dead with property destroyed in southern Kaduna.
This is an aftermath of a meeting called by the General Officer Commanding, 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Adeniyi Oyebade, which saw him along with heads of other security agencies in Kaduna meet with traditional rulers and leaders of Fulani community.
The intervention by the GOC follows recent escalated attacks by suspected herdsmen in about ten communities in Jemaa and Sanga local government areas of the state, that have left several people dead and property worth millions of naira destroyed.
Having informed the people about the purpose of the gathering, the leaders made their presentations and the meeting later went into closed door.
After about five hours of deliberation, journalists were brought into the room where the GOC read out their resolutions.
They include the setting up of a peace and reconciliation committee to resolve all pending issues, banning of child herdsmen from grazing with cattle on farmlands and major roads, and prohibition of carrying of fire arms by herdsmen among others
The GOC appealed to the warring parties to sheathe their swords for the interest of peace.
He warned that any party or individual found involved in any further attack would be prosecuted according to the law.
While expressing displeasure over the spate of killings in the area, he gave the assurance that security agencies would continue to discharge their responsibilities of protecting lives and property in the area.
Emerging from the closed door parley, the National Secretary of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, Baba Othman, gave the assurance that his people would abide by the resolution.
He told journalists that a committee would be set up by all the parties for full implementation of the resolutions.
Over the years, there has been several ethno-religious crises that have ravaged many communities southern Kaduna.
Since the beginning of 2017, not less than ten villages in Jemaa and Sanga local government areas both in the southern part of Kaduna state have come under heavy attacks by gunmen that have left scores of people dead.
The gunmen attacked three villages, Godogodo, Akwa’a and Anguwan Anjo, killing over 60 people freely and destroying houses and farmlands.
Just about four days before the peace meeting, seven people including a community leader were murdered in cold blood with no trace of their killers.
The death toll from the attack on Godogodo village in Kaduna state, northwest Nigeria has risen from 20 to 44.
Gunmen invaded Godogodo village on Saturday night, shooting sporadically and setting buildings ablaze.
At least 20 people were killed and property destroyed during the attack. This led to the imposition of a dusk to dawn curfew in the village in Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna state.
But during a visit to the area by the state government officials, led by the Deputy Governor, Mr Bala Bantex, the residents revealed that the armed men unleashed violence again on the community early on Monday.
They accused security agents of not responding quickly to the numerous calls for help by the residents while the violence lasted.
Meanwhile the state government has promised to alleviate the suffering of the victims, through the intervention of the National and State Emergency Management Agencies.
The state’s Deputy Governor, Bala Bantex, advised residents to remain calm, just as government officials began an assessment of the extent of damage done.
At least 20 persons have been killed and property destroyed in an attack by unknown armed bandits on Godogodo village in Jemaa Local Government Area of Kaduna State in northern Nigeria.
An indigene of the local government told Channels Television, that the gunmen invaded Godogodo village On Saturday night shooting sporadically and setting buildings ablaze.
“In the process they killed 20 persons while several others were injured,” the indigene said.
“The entire community has been deserted. Residents have fled from their homes for fear of being attacked by the armed bandits,” he added.
The gunmen were said to have also ambushed a police patrol team in the area on Friday evening, opened fire on them and in the process killed two policemen and injured one.
The spokesman for the police in the state, Aliyu Usman, confirmed the attack to Channels Television’s correspondent, Chimezie Enyiocha.
He says the State Police Command is assessing the situation to ascertain the number of casualties.
More mobile and conventional policemen have been deployed to Godogodo, Kafanchan and other neighbouring communities to restore order and prevent further escalation of the crisis.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
In the meantime, a dusk to dawn curfew has been imposed in the affected areas by the interim Chairman of Jemaa Local Government Area, Mr Humble Katuka, until normalcy returns to the area.
In his reaction to the attack, the State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, described the incident as barbaric, inhumane and unwarranted.
Speaking through his Deputy, Mr Bala Bantex, the governor appealed to residents of the community to remain calm and law abiding, assuring them that the government would do everything within its powers to restore peace in the area.
He also cautioned them not to embark in any form of reprisal attacks.
Communities in Jemaa Local Government and Sanga Local Government Areas in Kaduna State have witnessed series of attacks that have left scores of people dead.
In August this year, gunmen attacked three villages, Godogodo, Akwa’a and Anguwan Anjo.
Eleven persons were killed in that attack, with several houses and farmlands destroyed.
A statement issued on Friday by the spokesman for the state governor, Samuel Aruwan, says the government secured an order from the State Executive Council to ban the Islamic Movement from either existing or operating in the state with immediate effect.
In proscribing the group, the government invoked Section 45 (1) of the Nigerian Constitution which empowers the state Governor to take such measures and actions for the promotion and protection of public safety, public order, public morality or public health, or the rights and freedom of all persons in the State.
The statement further explained that the action was to ensure that all persons and organisations were guided by lawful conduct and with due allegiance to the Nigerian state and its Constitution.
Some Irate youths in Tudun Wada community in Kaduna State have reportedly killed four members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, in southern part of the state.
A member of the group, popularly known as Shiites, told Channels Television that the deceased lost their lives on Wednesday when a group of youths attacked them during a procession to mark their annual Ashura Day.
He also claimed that the angry youths burnt down the residence of one of their leaders and went ahead to demolish their Islamic school and houses in the area.