Tinubu Is Supporting Buhari To Preserve His 2023 Presidential Ambition – Saraki

 

Senate President Bukola Saraki says former Governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu is only supporting President Muhammadu Buhari to preserve his (Tinubu’s) 2023 presidential ambition.

He said this in a statement on Monday, in response to Tinubu’s statement a day earlier in which the APC national leader accused the Senate President of defecting because of presidential ambitions.

Saraki re-iterated that his decision to defect from the APC was because all principles required for a healthy functioning of the party and the government were deliberately violated or undermined.

Read Full Statement Here

According to the Senate President, himself and Tinubu had in previous meetings admitted to, and raised several issues within the party.

He said, “I can also vividly recall that he (Tinubu) himself always expressed his displeasure with the style of the government and also mentioned that he had equally suffered disrespect from the same government which we all worked to put in office. I also made the point that whatever travails I have gone through in the last three years belong to the past and will not shape my decisions now and in the future.

“However, during those meetings, the point of disagreement between Tinubu and I is that while I expressed my worries that there is nothing on ground to assure me that the administrative style and attitude would change in the next four years in a manner that will enable us to deliver the positive changes we promised to our people, he (Tinubu) expressed a strong opinion that he would rather ‘support a Buhari on the hospital stretcher’ to get a second term because in 2023, power will shift to the South-west. This viewpoint of Tinubu’s was not only expressed to me but to several of my colleagues, so much for acting in national interest.

“It is clear that while my own decision is based on protecting the collective national interest, Tinubu will rather live with the identified inadequacies of the government for the sake of fulfilling and preserving his presidential ambition in 2023.

“This new position of Tinubu has only demonstrated inconsistency — particularly when one reviews his antecedents over the years,” the statement read in part.

He further explained that his complex relationship with Tinubu has been continually defined by the event of 2014 when himself (Saraki) and other leaders of the APC opposed the Muslim-Muslim ticket arrangement for the 2015 polls.

According to him, the APC national leader has since then made all efforts to undermine him, by peddling falsehood.

Read Also: Saraki, Tambuwal Left APC Because They Wanted Automatic Ticket – Tinubu

“It should be noted that he has not forgotten the fact that I took the bull by the horns and told him that in the interest of the country, he should accept the need for the party to present a balanced ticket for the 2015 General Elections in terms of religion and geo-political zones.

“Since that time he has been very active; plotting at every point to undermine me, both within and outside the National Assembly,” Saraki stated.

I Have No Plans to Replace Osinbajo -Tinubu

Tinubu A Shining Star In Nigeria's Political Firmament - Ajimobi
file photo: APC National Leader, Bola Tinubu

A national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has denied rumours that he may be chosen by President Muhammadu Buhari as his running mate in 2019.

He described the report by a national daily, as a “classic case of utterly and irredeemably-fake news”.

In a statement by his media officer, Tunde Rahman, Tinubu said he and the people of the South-west “have absolute confidence and are exceedingly proud of the excellent job Professor Osinbajo is doing as Vice President of Nigeria”.

The report dated Wednesday, had claimed that the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, was considering returning to full church work and that Tinubu was being mooted as a replacement for him.

Tinubu, however, noted that there was no empirical or logical basis for the speculative story, adding that it was merely an attempt to distract the government from continuing its good work.

The statement read in part: “There is no empirical or logical basis for this mischievously speculative story. Is it even conceivable, as the story recklessly insinuates, that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo would be considering returning to full church work rather than run with his boss, President Buhari for a second term if the latter so decides without as much as discussing such a sensitive issue with his party and with Asiwaju Tinubu? In any case, is this story not entirely unwarranted and indefensible as the Buhari/Osinbajo ticket has an electoral mandate of four years out of which it has spent only two and a half years?

“It is clearly an attempt to distract the APC Federal Government from the yeoman’s job it has been doing in rescuing the country from the deep-rooted socio-economic, political, security and moral mess inherited from the PDP’s 16 years misrule of Nigeria, instigate crisis within the party, stoke dangerous embers of religious disaffection within the party and the country generally and stem the remarkable progress being made in the reinvention and revitalization of Nigeria.

“The Buhari and Osinbajo-led Federal Government is deftly steering the country out of an economic recession that was the result of the ineptness of the PDP years of the locusts. Asiwaju Tinubu will never support any attempt to distract Buhari and Osinbajo from the job they are passionately doing through this kind of false report.

“In particular, this story does great injustice to Vice President Osinbajo. Here is a man of the highest integrity, moral rectitude, amazing humility, high intellect and unimpeachable credibility.

“Here is a man of fierce loyalty and absolute trustworthiness who will never do anything in word, thought or deed to undermine his boss. His unquestionable dependability and indisputable fidelity to his oath of office was demonstrated beyond question by his honourable conduct during the President’s medical vacation.

“Asiwaju Tinubu and the people of the South West have absolute confidence and are exceedingly proud of the excellent job Professor Osinbajo is doing as Vice President of Nigeria,” he added.

Osun Assembly Describes Tinubu As A Man of Strong Legacy

Tinubu, Maryam Abacha To Commission Major Projects In BornoThe Osun State House of Assembly under the leadership of Hon. Najeem Salam, has felicitated with the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the Celebration of his 65th birthday.

In a statement signed by the Chairman, House Committee on Information and Strategy, Hon. Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, the Assembly described Tinubu as a quintessential, larger than life politician, with a passion for democratic ideals and commitment to national development.

“The former governor of Lagos state is a man of many parts, a bridge builder, philanthropist, master strategist and patriot who in many ways has raised the standard of civilization and human dignity.

“Nigeria owes Tinubu a huge gratitude for his determination, consistency, doggedness, vision and fearless disposition in the strengthening and enthronement of good governance in the country”.

The parliament noted that Tinubu, who is acknowledged by friends and foe, far and near, as a rounded politician, pathfinder, investor, generous and people person, said, through his extra ordinarily large heart and unusual magnanimity of character, he had raised countless men from miry clay, produced several remarkable politicians and business leaders.

The Assembly then advised him to remain focused in the days and years ahead in ensuring that democracy which he bravely fought for is not left to drift or suffer any form of setback.

While wishing him many more years in radiant health, the Assembly added that his many legacies and contributions to nation building, party politics and wealth creation are eloquent testimonies of his great personality as a distinguished Nigerian.

Tinubu, Maryam Abacha To Commission Major Projects In Borno

Tinubu, Maryam Abacha To Commission Major Projects In BornoAPC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is expected in Borno state, northeast of Nigeria on Monday, to commission 432 resettlement houses for victims of the Boko Haram insurgence.

He is also expected to commission 13 Primary and Junior Secondary Schools, a General Hospital, five Primary Healthcare centres, as well as irrigation items, mobile fish ponds among other projects.

In addition, the former Lagos State Governor ‎is expected to commission 26 luxury apartments in five detached three story buildings located in Maiduguri, to serve as residence for medical doctors working in Government Hospitals which Governor Shettima has named ‘Bola Tinubu Court’.

The Media Adviser to the state governor, said in a statement that Tinubu would be the first in the lineup of VIPs invited by Governor Kashim Shettima starting from March till the end of May 2017, to commission series of projects executed by him in the face of the Boko Haram insurgency.

It was also revealed that the wife of a former President of Nigeria, Maryam Abacha, is expected to visit the state after Mr Tinubu, to commission a 250-bed ultra-modern hospital for women and children, also named after her.

Located along Dikwa road in Maiduguri, the large hospital complex built by Governor Shettima is the first hospital dedicated for women and Zannah said reasons for honouring both Tinubu and Maryam Abacha will be explained in the course of events scheduled for the commissioning exercises.

Most of the projects to be commissioned are located in Ngamdu, Benisheikh, Mainta Kururi, Tamsukawu, Mainok and Auno villages.

‘Oath’ Claim Designed to Dampen Buhari’s Chatham House Success – APC

APCThe All Progressives Congress (APC) has responded to the claim by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Campaign that Bola Ahmed Tinubu, plans to assume the position of Vice President through the back door, which was designed to divert attention from the success of the APC Presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari at the Chatham House in London, last Thursday.

In a statement issued in London on Saturday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said the PDP and the Jonathan Administration still do not have any answer to what has now become an epochal moment that has separated the wheat from the chaff.

”Our presidential candidate’s globally-acclaimed outing has presented Nigerians, and indeed the global community, to choose between an ineffective, incoherent, and incompetent President and an assertive, knowledgeable, dignified, purposeful and principled President-in-waiting.

”Having failed to discredit that outing with a rented crowd, some of whom confessed to have been paid to carry placards they do not understand, the PDP and the Jonathan Administration had resorted to making nauseating claims that were totally untrue, absolutely incomprehensible” it said.

APC said the claim was the latest in a series of desperate moves by the PDP and the Jonathan Administration since the emergence of Gen. Buhari as the APC presidential candidate, and the clearest indication yet that they had no answer to the unstoppable momentum of a man of history.

”They had thrown everything imaginable at Gen. Buhari, but he had continued to wax stronger and stronger: They said he was not qualified, that he was too old, then they fabricated a medical report of an illness of their own choice, sponsored death wish adverted against him and instituted a myriad of court cases to stop him.

”After they failed to stop him, they went after the election itself, using the PVCs as a tool to launch a campaign for postponement and, when they realized that would not work, came up with the bogey of insecurity in the North-east to force a postponement of the election, hoping they could buy enough time to revive their electoral misfortune.

”With everything working against them, they engaged in a show of shame at The Chatham House that backfired badly, on the heels of their bare-faced lies that Gen. Buhari was hospitalized in London. The preposterous claim of a secret oath – reminiscent of what they do in their own party – by the  spokesman of the Jonathan Campaign Organization, Femi Fani-Kayode, is their latest desperate act,” the party said.

APC said in as much as it had so far refrained from engaging Fani-Kayode in his game of character, abuses and irresponsible name calling, the party was becoming seriously concerned that he may be caving under pressure and reverting to his undignified past of substance abuse.

2015 : APC Wants INEC To Sanction Early Campaigners

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to mete out appropriate sanctions to anyone who has violated its ban on early campaigns for the 2015 elections.

The charge, is in view of the “First Lady-driven phantom peace rally, that is actually a facade for electioneering campaign, if the electoral umpire’s ban on such campaigns is to be taken seriously”. the newly registered opposition party said.

The APC also challenged the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the Presidency image makers to tell Nigerians why the ruling party has allegedly failed to lift the country in the past 14 years.

In a statement issued in Lagos on Sunday by its Interim National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party also asked the presidency to tell Nigerians why its has allegedly defied INEC rules by continuing to campaign for the 2015 elections.

”Issues, issues and issues. These are what Nigerians are interested in, not continuous muck-raking about opposition leaders like Gen. Muhammadu Buhari and Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. For example, Nigerians want to know why the country can still not feed itself after 14 years of endless promises by the PDP; Nigerians want to know why they cannot be protected by their government when the security of lives and property is the rason d’etre of any government.

”Nigerians want to know why over 40 million youth cannot get a job under a government that gleefully touts a 6% GDP growth; Nigerians want to know how 400,000 barrels of oil are being stolen daily and who the thieves are’ Nigerians want to know why the country is more divided than ever under the watch of President Goodluck Jonathan, and why corruption has become a bigger monster in the years under the PDP.

”The 2015 elections will be fought on the platform of issues, not meaningless attacks on personalities and attention-diverting tales like how Gen. Buhari wants to stage a comeback or how Asiwaju Tinubu wants to expand his imaginary empire,” it said.

APC said the reason its leaders have put national interests above personal considerations is to rescue Nigeria from the clutches of the PDP and a mediocre presidency, both of which have failed the citizenry and dimmed their hopes, not because of power-for-power sake, which is the mantra of the do-nothing PDP, the statement added.

”Our eight cardinal programmes, which we shall be articulating in the days ahead, represent a summary of how we intend to rescue the long-suffering citizens and rescue our nation. These are War Against Corruption, Food security, Accelerated Power Supply, Integrated Transport Network, Free Education, Devolution of Power, Accelerated Economic Growth and Affordable Health Care.

”Our Guiding Philosophy will derive its impetus from these seven principles: Belief in, and the fear of God; Upholding the rule of law; Preserving national unity; Pursuit of a just and egalitarian society; Building of strong institutions; Commitment to social justice and economic progress; and Promoting representative and functional participatory democracy.

”These are the issues we will be enunciating in the days ahead as we steer the politics of our nation away from jejune matters that are at the core of the PDP misrule to serious issues of relevance that will benefit our people under an APC federal government,” the party said.

It said a party that defies rules and lies through its teeth cannot be trusted to rule over a people who are eager for their country to join the comity of developed nations.

”While one of the PDP gong-bearers, Okupe, was telling Nigerians that President Jonathan has not informed anyone that he will contest in 2015, his wife was coercing hundreds of hapless women, including those in uniform, into a show of shame tagged a ”Peace Rally”, but in essence a campaign for President Jonathan ahead of 2015.

”Defying INEC, this brazen campaign featured women clad in specially-made ‘ankara’ that bore the picture of President Jonathan and reminds one of the disgraceful days of the late despot Mobutu Sese Seko of former Zaire, and the late clownish leader of Uganda, Idi Amin. What a company to keep in the 21st century!

”In what must be ranked as the first of its kind in Nigeria, women drawn from various security agencies – the same that will be expected to provide security for the 2015 elections – were coerced into a march of shame, as organizers of the campaign masquerading as a peace rally blocked traffic and prevented citizens from earning their daily bread. Yet, Okupe said his boss has not told anyone he will run, and had the temerity to insult the media by saying they have been taken over by a few people. The good news is that Nigerians are far smarter than their present rulers and therefore cannot be fooled,” APC said.