ASUU: FG Commences Meeting With Striking Lecturers

 

 

The Federal Government has commenced the meeting with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over the lingering strike.

Chris Ngige, the minister of Labour and Employment,  is in attendance along with the striking lecturers.

The Minister says he is worried over the delay in suspending the strike after the last meeting where some funds were released by the Federal Government to pay salaries shortfalls.

But the President of ASUU, Biodun Ogunyemi said that they want the Federal government to get it right this time around, especially issues revolving around University revitalization in order to ensure that graduates from Nigeria Universities can be proud of their certificates.

READ ALSO: ASUU Strike Continues As Union Leaders Walk Out Of Meeting With FG

ASUU began the nationwide strike in November after a meeting of its national leadership at the Federal University of Technology, Akure, the Ondo State capital.

The industrial action was to protest the poor funding of Nigerian Universities and the alleged plot to increase students’ fees in some institutions.

Among other issues raised by the union include the introduction of an education bank and the non-implementation of previous agreements.

The meeting is now in a technical session.

FG’s Proposal Of Releasing N20bn Goes Against Our Agreement – ASUU

ASUU President, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi

 

The President of the Academic Staff Union Of Universities (ASUU), Professor Biodun Ogunyemi, says the Federal Government’s proposal of releasing N20 billion, falls short of its agreement to release N220 billion yearly since 2013.

Ogunyemi stated this during an interview on Channels Television’s Hardcopy on Friday.

He described the development as too late, as well as too little.

He said, “In 2017, the issue of 20 billion Naira came up when the Federal Government said it had not abandoned the Memorandum of Understanding of 2013 where it was stipulated that government will release N1.3 trillion over a period of six years.

“And annually since then, what government ought to have done was to release N220 billion each year. So when we asked for that, the government said that to prove that we have not abandoned that MoU, We will release N20bn as a mark of commitment and that was to be done between September and October last year. So, if we are discussing it in November 2018, it is coming too late.”

The ASUU leader also reiterated the stance of the union that it would not return to the negotiating table with the current head of the Federal Government’s re-negotiating team, Mr Wale Babalakin.

According to him, this remains one of the conditions for renegotiating the 2017 Memorandum of Understanding which it signed with the Federal Government.