Seven Girls Die In Jigawa Boat Accident

A file photo of a Jigawa map.
A file photo of the map of Jigawa, a state in north-west Nigeria.

 

At least seven girls have died after a boat capsized in Jigawa on Friday.

According to the police, three other girls were also rescued.

The girls were all aged between 10 to 12 years of age.

READ ALSO: Jigawa Govt Sues NBA President For Meddling In State Affairs

“Subjects reportedly came from Gafasa village via K/Hausa LGA to Gasanya village in Auyo LGA for Maulud Celebratration,” the police said.

“In a haste and anxiety to reach home considering the time, they deliberately decided to drive a boat parked at River Gasanya by themselves in the absence of Craftman.

“They were all evacuated and referred to General Hospital Kafin Hausa F.N.A and confirmed dead by Medical Doctor.

“Investigation is on going.”

Ondo 2020: Boat Conveying INEC Workers, Electoral Materials Capsizes

 

A boat conveying some ad-hoc Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) workers and electoral materials to the riverine Ilaje communities in Ondo State has capsized.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Ondo State, Rufus Oloruntoyin Akeju, who confirmed the incident, said the boat capsized on Friday night during the movement of “personnel and materials to the riverine Registration Areas of Ilaje Local Government Area (LGA).”

“Fortunately, all personnel and election materials were rescued when the boat capsized,” Akeju added.

READ ALSO: PHOTOS: Ondo Election Gets Underway

The rescue efforts were carried out by personnel of the Nigerian Navy who escorted the boats.

The movement of the election materials and the personnel was eventually concluded and voting commenced as planned in all the polling units on Saturday.

INEC, therefore, commended the resilience and professionalism of the Nigerian Navy as well as those of all other personnel involved in the exercise.

15 Feared Dead After Boat Capsizes In Bauchi

Governor of Bauchi State during his visit to families of the deceased.

 

At least 15 people are feared dead after a boat carrying 30 farmers capsized on Kirfi River in Kirfi Local Government Area of Bauchi State.

The passengers were said to be on their way to their farms when the accident happened on Monday.

While 15 persons have been rescued and four bodies have been recovered, the others are still missing.

Meanwhile, Governor Bala Mohammed has visited families of the deceased to commiserate with them over the unfortunate incident.

During the visit, he donated N10 million to the families.

Eight Children, Two Others Killed As Boat Capsizes In India

Kashmiri boatmen paddle a shikara (wooden boat) in Dal lake during sunset in Srinagar on January 3, 2019. TAUSEEF MUSTAFA / AFP

 

A boat packed with picnickers capsized in a river in eastern India, killing 10 revellers including eight children, officials said Thursday.

The mechanised fishing boat toppled on Wednesday while it was anchored near Hukitola, an island in the Mahanadi river popular with tourists, after some of the occupants tried to disembark at the same time.

“So far nine bodies have been recovered while the body of a six-year-old girl is yet to be retrieved,” said Dasarathi Satpathy, the magistrate of Kendrapara district in Odisha state.

Rescuers managed to save 45 other passengers, Satpathy told AFP.

The Hindu newspaper said the boat was meant to carry a maximum of 20 people but was packed with some 55 passengers, most of them women and children.

State Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced compensation of 400,000 rupees ($5,701) each to the families of the deceased and free medical treatment for the injured.

Boat accidents are common in India, with most of them blamed on overcrowding and poor maintenance.

Last May, some 19 people were killed when a boat capsized in Godavari river in Andhra Pradesh state.

In 2017, 20 people were killed in a similar boat accident on the Yamuna river in northern India.

Two Killed As Boat Capsizes In Taraba

Four Feared Dead After Fresh Crisis In Taraba

 

A boat conveying traders who were returning from Damper market to Ibi town in Ibi Local Government Area of Taraba State on Wednesday capsized killing two persons on board.

Channels Television gathered that the incident occurred when a boat conveying the traders hit a tree in the middle of the river.

Shortly after, another boat came to rescue the passengers but became overloaded and eventually capsized leading to the death of two persons.

Nine others (four children and five adults) are still missing as rescue mission continues.

62 persons have, however, been rescued.

Details later…

30 Migrants Drown After Boat Sinks Off Yemen

A Libyan coast guardsman stands on a boat during the rescue of 147 illegal immigrants attempting to reach Europe off the coastal town of Zawiyah, 45 kilometres west of the capital Tripoli, on June 27, 2017. PHOTO: Taha JAWASHI / AFP

At least 30 African migrants drowned when their boat capsized off war-torn Yemen this week with reports of gunfire being used against those on board, the United Nations said Friday.

At least 152 Somalis and Ethiopians were aboard the overcrowded vessel which left Aden in southern Yemen on Tuesday, the UN refugee and migration agencies said in a joint statement.

“The vessel is believed to have been operated by unscrupulous smugglers who were attempting to take refugees and migrants to Djibouti, while also trying to extort more money from these refugees and migrants,” according to the statement.

The boat turned back and “capsized amid reports of gunfire being used against the passengers”, it said, adding that it was working with the Yemeni coast guard to try to establish what happened.

“At least 30 people have died in this tragic incident” which occurred near the coast.

More than 9,200 people have been killed in Yemen since a Saudi-led military coalition intervened in 2015 against Huthi rebels with the aim of restoring the country’s internationally recognised government to power.

But the impoverished country continues to draw migrants from the Horn of Africa, many of them seeking work in prosperous Gulf countries further north.

The UN Refugee Agency said it was “outraged” by the latest deaths.

“Prolonged conflict and insecurity in Yemen continue to expose vulnerable refugees and migrants to heightened risks of human rights violations including arbitrary arrest, detention, trafficking and deportation,” it said on Twitter.

In August last year, dozens of migrants from Somalia and Ethiopia died after human traffickers forced them off two Yemen-bound boats and into the sea.

Last March, a helicopter opened fire on a vessel carrying more than 140 migrants in the Red Sea off the Yemen coast, killing 42 civilians.

A confidential UN report seen by AFP said the attack was most likely carried out by the Saudi-led coalition.

AFP

Migrants Boat Capsize: Captain Charged

The captain of the migrants boat that capsized has been arrested and chargedThe Tunisian captain of a boat that capsized off Libya on Sunday, killing hundreds of migrants, has been arrested and charged with reckless multiple homicide, Italian officials say.

According to BBC, the Captain has been charged alongside a member of the crew with favouring illegal immigration.

The charges came after the European Union (EU) set out a package of measures to ease the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean.

Search and rescue operations will be stepped up, and there will be a campaign to destroy traffickers’ boats.

A homicide investigation has been opened into the disaster, he added.

After speaking to the survivors, the United Nations (UN) refugee agency said about 800 people died in the disaster. Meanwhile, earlier accounts had put the death toll at about 700.

“There were a little over 800 people on board, including children aged between 10 and 12,” said Carlotta Sami, of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees in Italy.

“There were Syrians, about 150 Eritreans, Somalians… They had left Tripoli at about 8:00am on Saturday.”

It was earlier reported that the ship was in distress in the Mediterranean and sent out an SOS.

Bad Weather Hampers Search For S/Korea Ferry Survivors

SKorea FerryBad weather, murky water and strong currents have been hampering the search for survivors of the South Korean ferry disaster as loved ones and anxious relatives offer prayers for the safe return of their loved ones.

Emergency services are still searching for nearly 300 people missing after a ship carrying more than 470 people sank.

Officials say 179 people have been rescued. Most of the passengers were pupils at the same high school.

The captain of the sunken South Korean ferry apologized to families of the victims and those missing on Thursday (April 17) as the coast guard investigates him. The ferry sank off South Korea’s southwest coast on Wednesday, leaving at least nine dead and about 290 missing

Witnesses told Korean media that the captain of the vessel, who is now being held by police, was one of the first to leave the stricken vessel.

The vessel, carrying 475 passengers and crew, capsized during a journey from the northwestern port of Incheon to the southern holiday island of Jeju. It went down about 20 km off the country’s southwestern coast.

Meanwhile, South Korean President, Park Geun-Hye, visited the site of the accident as coast guards continue search operations for about 290 missing people.

In the video, Park observed search operations on a boat and was briefed by a coast guard officer.

Rescuers fought rising winds and waves as they searched for hundreds of people, mostly teenage schoolchildren, still missing.

Frustrated parents of some of the missing school children are, however, hiring their own boats and divers to find survivors. Others jeer at coastguard officials asking why they’re not out searching for the missing passengers.

So far 179 people have been rescued and nine confirmed dead in what could be the country’s worst maritime accident in 20 years.

It is not known why the 6,586 ton vessel, built in Japan 20 years ago, sank.