A Dutch-led team of prosecutors that looked into the downing of flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014, has released its findings, saying the missile came from Russia.
The international team, which gathered evidence for a possible criminal trial, release the report on Wednesday.
The report said the missile was fired from territories controlled by Russian-backed rebels.
An earlier inquiry by the Dutch Safety Board concluded that a Russian-made Buk missile hit the plane, without saying who fired it.
The Boeing 777 broke apart mid-air, while flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, killing all 298 people aboard.
Prosecutors from Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine are also part of the Joint Investigation Team, (JIT).
Earlier this week, Russia produced radar images which, it argued, showed that the plane could not have come from rebel-held areas.
Critics have also pointed out that Russian officials have given three versions of events since the plane was shot down.
A source in the prosecutor’s office told the BBC that they would pinpoint the launch site and identify the weapon.
“If they confirm what we already think we know, that a Buk missile was launched from inside territory, controlled by the Russia-backed separatists, it will be difficult to deny their involvement.”
Many of the families have, however, expressed their frustration over the fact that after two years, the investigators still can’t tell them who was responsible and why.
According to the BBC, Hans de Borst, whose 17-year-old daughter Elsemiek, was on board, says he’s “not expecting miracles”.
Meanwhile, Barry Sweeney, who lost his 28-year-old son Liam, said all he wants to know is, “why?”.