Nigerian Army Deploys Special Forces To Geidam

ARmyThe Nigerian Army has deployed a reinforcement of special forces to Geidam town in Yobe State.

The reinforcement followed a late evening attack on a military base on Wednesday that lasted about 12 hours leaving three soldiers dead.

Residents of the town were thrown into panic all through the night while the attack lasted.

The bandits are believed to have made their way to town through Damasak area after overpowering men at the military checkpoint in Geidam.

Weapons were destroyed during the attack of the military base while a second group proceeded to town looting food items in the market and setting shops ablaze.

The Chief of Army staff, Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai, was not impressed with the performance of the dislodged troops.

He did not mince words when he read the riot act to officers and men insisting that they all live up to expectation.

Two Armoured Personnel Carriers and vehicles belonging to the federal troops were among items destroyed by the assailants.

The Chief of Army Staff, however, gave the assurance that the Army would not relent in its efforts to disband the rebel group.

The number of civilian casualties is yet to be verified but at least three persons are feared dead.

Boko Haram Invaded Geidam In Search Of Food – Residents

Boko HaramResidents of Geidam town in Yobe State, northeast Nigeria, have revealed that the motive behind the Boko Haram militants’ invasion of the town late Wednesday could be attributed to their search for food and other necessities.

The residents, who came out on Thursday morning to assess the extent of destruction after the gun battle, said that the style of attack carried out by the insurgents revealed that several shops selling food items and beverages among others were burgled.

The Boko Haram militants, according to them, also robbed well-to-do individuals in the town of their money among several other valuables.

“They took away cars belonging to residents, broke shops, loaded the stolen items and went away with it,” an anonymous resident said.

They also said that the town had been placed under a curfew as security personnel drove away residents who were counting losses early in the morning.

“When we went out to assess the extent of destruction hours after the attack, security operatives later came and drove us away. They asked everybody to go back home and to stay indoors until further notice,” he said.

The source also said that the Police barracks and the Customs office in Geidam town, among several shops belonging to the people were set ablaze.

Meanwhile, the Police Public Relations Officer, Yobe Command, ASP Toyin Gbadegesin, said that the town was calm but there was no official statement on imposition of a curfew on the town.

He also said that security operatives were taking stock, promising that they would make their findings public after taking stock of the destruction inflicted on the town.

Nigerian Troops Arrest Boko Haram Financier

boko haramThe Nigerian military says that troops of the 112 Battalion and special forces in Mafa and Dikwa have raided a Boko Haram camp at Bulungwa Naibe in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State.

A statement issued by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Usman, says that during the operation, quite a number of the Boko Haram terrorists were killed, while a Buffalo vehicle mounted with an anti-aircraft gun, a rocket propelled grenade, two machine guns and 1 sub-machine gun were recovered from the terrorists.

Elsewhere, troops also intercepted and arrested a suspected Boko Haram financier and stimulants dealer, Mohammed Maina, in Bama, Bama Local Government Area of Borno State.

The suspect is said to have been arrested with the sum of one million naira cash and some items.

Boko Haram Link: Buhari Demands Apology, Threatens Legal Action Against Metuh, PDP

BuhariFormer Head of State and leader of the All Progressives Congress, General Muhammadu Buhari, has asked the People’s Democratic Party’s Publicity Secretary, Mr Olisa Metuh, to apologize to him in seven days or face legal action.

General Buhari wants Mr Metuh to retract statements linking him with the Book Haram sect and has asked the PDP Spokesman to tender an unreserved public apology for accusation linking him with the Boko Haram terrorist acts.

The former military leader said that the widely publicized and very serious allegations made against him by the PDP and its Spokesman, Olisa Metuh, to the effect that his utterances were responsible for the current state of insecurity and terrorism bedeviling Nigeria, were absolutely without basis.

General Buhari said that Mr Metuh intentionally chose to misquote his interview in 2012 that the opposition was determined to fight in the 2015 Elections.

“I used the Hausa idiom ‘Kare jini, Biri jini’, which is a metaphor for a very tough fight. But, like the Islamic fundamentalist toga they falsely put on me because they cannot impinge on my personal and professional integrity, PDP apologists deliberately twisted this idiom to mean I called for violence”, he said.

The APC chieftain went further: ”I take very serious exception to this grave accusation against me by the PDP Publicity Secretary. It is a false allegation aimed at tarnishing my image and reputation in the hope of destroying my political and electoral standings, and that of my party, the APC, in the country.”

General Buhari denied having any links with the Boko Haram sect and said that he was not a violent person and that other than his military training; he abhors violence and has never associated with violence.