Bomb Blast Kills Five Burkina Troops, Police

Burkina Faso on the map.

 

Five members of the security forces were killed in roadside bomb attacks in eastern Burkina Faso at the weekend, officials said on Monday.

A policeman and a soldier were killed on Saturday when their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device (IED) in Kompienga, a security official said.

Late Sunday, three soldiers were killed in the same area by the same technique, another official said.

READ ALSO: Over 160 Dead In Zimbabwe, Mozambique As Cyclone Destroys City

A third person who was in the vehicle was injured and taken to the hospital, the official said.

The attacks bear the hallmarks of jihadist groups whose insurgency in the Sahel spilled over into Burkina Faso four years ago.

More than 300 people have been killed, typically in hit-and-run raids, and the capital Ouagadougou has been hit three times.

Attacks using IEDs began in August 2018 and have claimed more than 60 lives, according to a toll compiled by AFP.

The armed forces began an anti-terror operation, named Otapuana (“Lightning”), in the centre and east of the country earlier this month.

It aims at “neutralising terrorists and destroying hiding places in forests in the region,” according to the authorities.

Since January 1, a state of emergency has been in force in 14 of the country’s 45 provinces.

AFP

11 Dead In Bauchi Bomb Blast

bauchi blastNo fewer than 11 people were confirmed dead with 14 others seriously injured after an explosion rocked People’s Brothel in Bayangari, Bauchi State on Friday (June 27).

The incident, which occurred around 9.45pm in the night threw the area into pandemonium as traders and residents ran for cover.

The Bauchi State Police Command spokesman, Haruna Mohammed, confirmed the incident in a statement. He said that investigations had commenced.

He added that all 11 corpses were evacuated to the mortuary, while injured persons had been taken to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital for treatment.

The affected area has been cordoned off as Police has commenced investigations to ascertain the cause of the explosion.

No terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the explosion yet, but it seems to have been carried out by the Boko Haram insurgents.

The Police has again urged members of the public to always be more security conscious by paying attention to persons and objects, particularly at motor parks, market places, schools, places of worship, shopping malls, eateries and hotels.

Abuja Bus Park Operatives Beef Up Security

The recent suicide bomb attack which claimed the lives of several individuals in Sabon Gari, Kano state has prompted bus park operatives in and around Abuja to beef up security in a bid to prevent any form of reoccurrence.

Chairman of the Task Force, Jabi Park, Joseph Onu revealed that extra measures have been taken to safeguard lives and properties of their customers.

He also stated that they have secured the assistance of security operatives who conduct thorough searches on buses and passengers.

Adedeji says politicians used and dumped Boko Haram members

A public affairs analyst, Tokunbo Adedeji on Friday said the creation of the fundamentalist group Boko Haram was not for religious but political purposes.

Mr Adedeji, who was a guest on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, said that the group and its members were recruited for political reasons and after serving their employers, they were abandoned.

The security expert wondered why the group refused to go after those who used them and dumped them, instead of killing innocent Nigerians.

Watch complete interview for more details.