Three Oil Workers Killed In Syria Bomb Explosion

 

A bomb blast Tuesday near a key oil field in eastern Syria targeted US-backed fighters but killed three workers instead, a war monitor said Tuesday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the explosion occurred on the road outside the Al-Omar oilfield, the country’s largest in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor.

Al-Omar is under the control of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces who have been fighting the Islamic State group.

Part of the oil field is used as an SDF base, while workers have resumed production in another.

Tuesday’s blast struck on the nearby road “as a vehicle transporting oil field employees drove by, killing three workers,” Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.

“The explosive device was detonated at a distance just after an SDF patrol had passed by,” the head of the Britain-based monitoring group said.

There was no immediate claim for the blast, but IS often says it is responsible for deadly attacks in the area.

The Kurdish-led SDF expelled IS from its last patch of territory in the village of Baghouz south of Al-Omar in March, but has continued to sweep for jihadist sleeper cells.

IS overran large parts of Syria and neighbouring Iraq in 2014, declaring a “caliphate” and implementing its brutal interpretation of Islam on millions.

The jihadists seized Al-Omar that same year, before the SDF retook control a little more than a year later with backing from air strikes by a US-led coalition.

The air raids in 2015 destroyed the field, after the jihadists had reaped estimated oil revenues from it of between $1.7 million and $5.1 million a month, according to the coalition.

Syria’s eight-year war has killed more than 370,000 people and displaced millions since it started in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-government protests.

The conflict has seen the Damascus regime lose control of key oil fields and caused state hydrocarbon revenues to plummet by billions of dollars.

UPDATED: 27 Persons Killed In Adamawa Twin Suicide Bomb Attack

27 persons have been reported killed in two separate suicide bomb attacks in Mubi, Adamawa State.

Principal Medical Officer of Mubi General Hospital, Dr Edgar Sakawa confirmed this figure to Channels Television.

He added that 56 others sustained various degree of injuries.

The Adamawa State Police spokesperson, Othman Abubakar also confirmed report of the attack.

He said the first bomb attack occurred inside a mosque while the second was detonated at a second hand clothing market about 200 metres from the scene of the first blast.

Police authorises have since deployed anti bomb squad to the area while victims of the attack have been evacuated to Mubi General hospital.

Meanwhile, Governor Mohammed Jibrilla of Adamawa State has described the suicide attacks as unfortunate.

Jibrilla, who was represented by his media aide, Macaulay Hunohashi, said the state commissioner of health has been directed to move to the local government to assist the surviving victims of the attack.

He appealed to the residents of the area not to be deterred by the unfortunate incidence but to report unknown individuals to the authorities.

It could be recalled that in November last year there was a bomb blast in Arhankulu area of Mubi where several were killed.

Three Suicide Bombers Die In Maiduguri Blast

Gas explosion, Cooking gasThree suicide bombers have lost their lives early on Friday morning, in an attempt to detonate Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) strapped to their bodies in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.

The explosion occurred on Damboa road, near a petrol station in Maiduguri.

The suicide bombing was said have been carried out by two girls and a boy.

The first, occurred at about 3:00 am, while eyewitnesses reported seeing the other girl and a boy hiding under a tanker in the early hours of the morning.

They both later detonated their suicide vests while civilian security volunteers were trying to persuade them to come out from hiding and cast off their IEDS.

According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), three petrol tankers were said to have been destroyed as a result of the explosion.

The Borno state Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu, said the corpses have been evacuated.

Damboa, one of the entry points into the city has recorded at least three bomb explosions in the past.

In February, a police man died and another one was injured by bandits while on patrol around Kubuwa village, also in Damboa local government of Borno state.

The ambush was the second in two days as a military convoy had been attacked the previous day, along the same Damboa road with casualties from both the military and civilian side.

Beggars, Hawkers Protest Ban On Street Begging In Kaduna

KadunaHundreds of physically challenged persons took to the streets in Kaduna State on Saturday to protest a law banning street begging in the state capital and environs by the State Government.

The beggars, comprising the blind, deaf, dumb, lepers, and people with disabilities, took their protest to the office of the Nigerian Union of Journalists located along Waff road to express their displeasure with the law.

The beggars said their grouse with the ban was centred on the State Government’s failure to address serious social issues that forced them into begging.

But the State Government said that the ban was put in place for the sake of safety of lives and property of the citizenry.

However, some street hawkers, who joined in the protest, vowed not to leave the streets until the government provided them an alternative means of survival.

Seven-day Ultimatum

The spokesman for the State Governor, Samuel Aruwan, said that the ban was to enhance security in the state, following a bomb explosion at Sabon Gari Local Government secretariat that killed 25 people and injured 32 on Tuesday.

Mr Aruwan also explained that the government had not reneged on its promise to empower persons with disabilities.

The spokesman for the Governor, however, appealed to the beggars to exercise patience until the measures were relaxed.

Although, the order prohibiting street begging and hawking in Kaduna has not been passed into law by the state’s House of Assembly, the beggars have, nevertheless, given the state Governor, Nasir El Rufai, a seven-day ultimatum to reverse the ban order or face a court action.

The association of disabled persons further called on the Kaduna State Government to consider provisions of right and opportunities recommended by the United Nations (UN), such as right to live, equality and non-discrimination among others.

Suicide Bomber, Student Die In Kontagora School Attack

niger_stateA female suicide bomber on Wednesday blew herself up at the Federal College of Education, Kontagora, in Niger State.

Although it was initially thought that the suicide bomber was the only one killed in the blast, it was later discovered that a 200-level student of the college also died in the incident, which has also left four others injured.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but it is believed that the terrorist group, Boko Haram, was behind it.

The group has been the mastermind of numerous attacks in northern Nigeria.

Meanwhile, the school has been shut down till November 24th.

This attack is coming barely two days after a suicide bomber who disguised as a student, infiltrated the assembly ground of Government Senior Science Secondary School in Potiskum, Yobe State, and set off a bomb, killing at least 35 people.

More details soon….

Plateau Youths Urge FG To Re-double Fight Against Insurgency

Plateau YouthsSome youths in Plateau State, Nigeria’s north-central region have asked the Federal Government and security agencies to redouble their efforts in fighting insurgency, as youths are the most vulnerable group to the attacks.

Speaking on behalf of Youth Network for Peace and Good Governance in Jos, Mr. Aondoma Tor, appealed to security agents to also speed up the rescue mission of abducted students of Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State as the nation awaits positive result from the operation.

“We salute the actions of the little school girls in Chibok community, whom despite the carnage in Borno State, insisted on going to school to write their WAEC before they were abducted.

“The Federal Government must put together all resources within its power to ensure the safe release of the abducted school girls in Chibok.

“We call on the youths to provide support through information sharing and gathering for security personnel who try as much as they can to avoid further terror”, he said.

He also decried the state of unemployment in the country, which has left many graduates unable to afford a living. He noted that this situation makes it easy for the youths to become tools in the hands of politicians who intend to cause havoc.

He stated, “It is imperative that while the youths provide their own support and intelligence, the Federal Government must provide job opportunities to ensure that these youths are not distracted but rather are focused on empowering themselves and developing the community.”

 

Fresh Blast in Kano Leaves Many Injured

Bomb explosion has hit Agangra beer market in Badawa area of Kano metropolis killing unconfirmed number of people, injuring many.

This is coming barely 24 hours after two coordinated bomb attacks which targeted the offices of two major telecoms providers Airtel and MTN at the  Malam Kato Square area of the ancient city, leaving three people dead, a security officer and the two suicide bombers.

Residents say the bomb which was kept inside a carton went off at about 7:45 this evening.

So far, there is no verified report on the number of casualties, but Agangara is a densely populated area of Badawa comprising of residential buildings and a number of drinking bars.

More details as we get them.

Security operatives avert bomb blast in Jos

The military Special Task Force in Jos said two explosives planted in a residential area were discovered, late Sunday night but both devices were detonated by men of the Anti-Bomb Squad .

A statement by the Media and Information Officer of the Special Task Force, Captain Salisu Mustapha, said residents of the area discovered the strange objects and alerted the police.

“On June 24, 2012 by 09.30p.m, two improvised explosive devices were found in Tudun Wada Area of Jos North Local Government Area,” it read.

According to Captain Mustapha, one of the explosives was planted by the fence of a residence in the area, while the other one was planted under a parked vehicle.

The spokesman said both devices were detonated by men of the Anti-Bomb Squad of the state Police Command.

He explained that no casualty was recorded as a result of the explosives, while the situation in the area and the metropolis was calm.

Mustapha enjoined the residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious person, activities or objects within their area to the security agencies.

The spokesman of the state police command, Mr. Abuh Emmanuel, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, also confirmed the incident.
“Yes, two improvised explosive devices were discovered in Tudun Wada on Sunday and they have been detonated by men of the anti-bomb squad of the command without any casualty.

“No arrest has been made but investigations have commenced to unravel those behind the dastardly act,” Emmanuel said.

Police authority in the state, last Thursday warned of plans by some terrorists to launch bomb attacks in Jos on Sunday.

Updated: 11feared dead in Taraba explosion

A Red Cross official said the death toll from Monday morning’s attack in Jalingo, the Taraba state capital has risen to 1, according to a local newspaper – Daily Trust Newspaper, report.

The convoy of the Taraba state Commissioner of Police was on Monday morning attacked by suicide bombers near the Taraba state ministry of finance building in Jalingo, the state capital.

3 people were initially reported to have died in the attack and 15 others sustained various degrees of injuries.

Ibiang Mbasekei, the spokesperson of Taraba state police command told Reuters that no police officer was killed in the suicide bomb attack.

“A suicide bomber riding on a motorcycle rammed into the police outrider on the convoy of the Commissioner of Police,” he said. “The bomb went off, killing the bomber, and injuring the outrider. The CP escaped unhurt, but the windshield to his car was badly damaged”

The attack occurred around 8:30 am and police sources say the commissioner of Police, Sule Mamman was the target. Three motorcycle riders suspected to be suicide bombers forced their way into his convoy and blew themselves up.

The despatch rider of the convoy, Usman Suleiman was mortally wounded in the attack. Some parts of the ministry of finance building were also reportedly damaged by the explosion.

Our earlier report

Commissioner of Police escapes bomb explosion in Taraba

The Commissioner of Police in Taraba state, Maman Sule, has escaped a round of bomb explosions that occurred in Jalingo, the Taraba state capital, killing three persons.

The Deputy PRO for the Nigerian Police Force, Frank Mba, confirmed that the blast occurred at 8:45am, Monday morning at Kebbi roundabout in the heart of the north-eastern state.
The road side bomb went off as the state’s Commissioner of Police; Maman Sule was on his way to his office.

Mr Mba in a phone conversation with Channels Television, stated that three of the suspected bombers died instantly while an outrider on the commissioner’s convoy was injured.

It is not yet certain if the bomb blast was targeted at the Commissioner of Police.

Mr Mba also confirmed that there were no explosions in Adamawa and Gombe states.

“The states are calm” he said, adding that and “we are working with other agencies and want to reassure Nigerians that this will soon be over.”

The latest bomb explosion in Taraba state is coming after a bomb attack on Sunday killed 20 people in Bayero University Kano, Kano state.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.

Explosion rocks Jos amidst Easter celebrations

An explosion hit Nigeria’s central town of Jos on Sunday, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said, hours after a car bomb 200 kilometres northwest in Kaduna killed at least 16 people.

“NEMA confirms that an hour ago an explosion occurred in Tudun Wada area of Jos. Security personnel moved to the scene as injured are being evacuated,” a spokesman for the national emergency management agency (NEMA) said.

Jos sits on the dividing line between Nigeria’s mostly Muslim north and largely Christian south and religious and ethnic clashes regularly flare up.

Earlier on Sunday a bomb exploded in the northern town of Kaduna after security officers stopped the vehicle carrying it from approaching a church, witnesses and police said.

At least 16 people were killed but the final death toll is likely to be higher, an emergency agency spokesman said.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the Kaduna attack, but the apparent targeting of a Christian place of worship will stir memories of a string of deadly assaults by Islamist militants Boko Haram on Christmas Day last year.