Bono Apologises After Bullying Claims At One Charity

File Photo

U2 frontman Bono has apologised after claims emerged Sunday that workers at his ONE charity were subjected to a culture of abuse and bullying.

The Irish singer, 57, said he was “deeply sorry” and “furious” about the allegations, which appeared in The Mail on Sunday newspaper, and pledged to meet victims to apologise in person.

The British tabloid detailed a string of incidents, including claims from a married woman who said she was demoted after refusing to have sex with a Tanzanian member of parliament.

“We are all deeply sorry. I hate bullying, can’t stand it,” Bono said in a statement.

“The poorest people in the poorest places being bullied by their circumstance is the reason we set up ONE.

“So to discover last November that there were serious and multiple allegations of bullying in our office in Johannesburg left me and the ONE board reeling and furious.”

The board of directors includes former British prime minister David Cameron, Facebook chief Sheryl Sandberg and African telecoms magnate Mo Ibrahim.

Bono said things had gone “badly wrong” and he needed to “take some responsibility for that”. He added he would like to meet the complainants and “apologise in person”.

The Mail on Sunday also claimed that ONE failed to pay South African taxes and said it was alleged to have illegally employed foreign workers on tourist visas.

ONE describes itself as a campaigning and advocacy organisation taking action to end extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa.

Bono co-founded the non-governmental organisation in 2004. Its headquarters are in Washington.

The NGO’s president Gayle Smith said she was “troubled” by the allegations.

She said an investigation found evidence of “unprofessional conduct” as well as “bullying and belittling of staff” between late 2011 and 2015.

Lawyers acting for seven former ONE staff last week launched a compensation case, seeking damages for “emotional, physical and psychological abuse”, The Mail on Sunday reported.

NNPC Awards 2017 Crude Term Contracts To 39 Companies

NNPC, Crude Term ContractsThe Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has awarded 1.31 million barrels per day (BPD) of crude oil to 39 companies as part of its 2017 crude term contracts.

A statement by the Group Managing Director at the Public Affairs Division, Ndu Ughamadu, revealed the companies were selected for the term contracts after a transparent bid by 224 companies in December 2016.

The companies are 18 Nigerian owned companies, three foreign state owned companies, 11 international trading houses, five foreign refineries and trading arms of the NNPC group.

The statement said each of the contracts were for 32,000bpd apart from Duke Oil Limited, an oil trading arm of the NNPC which would be for 90,000bpd.

It also disclosed that the contract, which was announced by the Group General Manager of the Crude Oil Marketing Division of the corporation, Mr Mele Kyari, would run for one year, with effect from the January 1, 2017 for consecutive 12 circles of crude oil allocation.

The breakdown of the term contract winners are; Nigerian companies: Oando, Sahara Energy Resources Limited, MRS Oil and Gas, A.A. Rano Nigeria Limited, Bono, Masters Energy, Eterna Oil and Gas, Cavalva Energy, Hyde Energy, Britania-U, North West Petroleum, Optima Energy, AMG Petroenergy, Arkleen Oil and Gas Limited, Shoreline Limited, Emo Oil, Setana Oil and Prudent Energy.

International trading companies: Trafigura, Enoc, BP Trading, Total Trading, UCL Petro Energy, Mocoh Trading, Trevier Petroleum, Heritage Oil, Levene Energy, Glencore as well as Litasco Supply and Trading.

NNPC trading companies: Calson/Hyson and Duke Oil Incorporated.

Refiners: Hindustan Refinery, Varo Energy, Sonara Refinery, Bharat Petroleum and CEPSA.

Government to government: Indian Oil Corporation (India – IOC), Sinopec (China) and Sacoil (South Africa).

Desmond Elliot, Waje Join ‘Make Nigeria Stronger’ Campaign

Desmond elliot, WAJE, “Make Nigeria Stronger” campaignNigerian entertainers, including film maker turned law maker, Desmond Elliot and singer, Waje, have joined the ‘Make Nigeria Stronger’ campaign, which was started by Bono, few weeks ago.

In August, the critically acclaimed singer, Bono, from the Irish Band, U2, came to Nigeria to flag off the campaign by his ‘One’ organization.

Explaining the mission of the Campaign, Bono said it seeks to “hold governments
to accounts, making sure they fulfill their promises.

“We also ensure transparency and continue the fight against corruption,” he added.

In a fresh lap of the campaign, entertainers joined other supporters in a brain storming session which focussed on the health sector.

waje, desmond elliot, make Nigeria stronger campaign
Bono

Desmond elliot, WAJE, “Make Nigeria Stronger” campaignOne of the ambassadors explained that the mission of the campaign is to mobilize Nigerians from across various works of life, to call on the government to put priority attention to the health sector.

She said that there has been an increase in the level of health crisis in the country which in her opinion are as a result of the government not efficiently funding the health system.

She expressed excitement over the support from seven of “Nigeria’s influential artistes”, among which are Desmond Elliot, On Air Personality, Toolz, and comedian Basket Mouth.

Desmond elliot, WAJE, “Make Nigeria Stronger” campaign

Desmond elliot, WAJE, “Make Nigeria Stronger” campaign
Ali Nuhu

While speaking about the campaign, Desmond Elliot said that the development in the health sector does not need to come solely from the government.

“The important thing is we need to start having a rethink on health situations, and the reason why the pressure is more in government, is only because the government is a policy making body.

“We need to impress upon them, that we need to start taking primary health care very seriously,” he said.

He also hinted that Nigeria’s Primary Health Care Act is yet to take effect since it was passed in 2014.

Northern Nigeria’s Kannywood actor, Ali Nuhu, who also supports the campaign,

pointed out that before the government succumbs to the various pressing health issues, citizens have to be sensitized to push for their needs.

Desmond elliot, WAJE, “Make Nigeria Stronger” campaign
Strong Girl Campaign

Other past initiatives by the One organization in Africa, include the ‘Do Agric’ campaign with D’banj and the ‘Strong Girl’ campaign, involving Waje, as well as other female artists.

 

IDPs Situation; A Blessing In Disguise To Nigeria – Sen Tejuosho

Sen_TejuoshoThe Chairman Senate Committee on Health, Sen. Lanre Tejuosho on Tuesday said the situation of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States is a blessing in disguise for Nigeria.

Speaking on Sunrise Daily, he noted that  “before the IDP issue started, Nigeria was losing 1, 200 children daily due to malnutrition. That is about 36, 000 children dying every month.

“If you go to all the federal hospitals, the pediatric wards, you will see malnourished children all over. It is from there you get the statistics with United Nations and Federal Ministry of Health”, he said.

He further maintained that “what is happening in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe is just a blessing in disguise for us to actually do what is right for malnutrition in this country”, adding that malnutrition is responsible for 53 per cent of deaths of children under the age of five.

Despite this chilling statistics, he lamented the low income being budgeted for tackling malnutrition in the country, revealing that “a meagre N2.4 million” was allocated for nutrition purposes in the 2016 budget “that was not properly done” due to time.

Sen Tejuosho said malnutrition reduces the immunity of a child, which will make the child vulnerable to other diseases, adding that “a malnourished child will die earlier on a simple case of pneumonia”

He insisted that malnutrition is the “real thing to tackle to ensure that any human being is not vulnerable to such diseases”.

He proposed the composition of a Nutrition Department in the proposed 10, 000 Primary Health Centres, “to be introduced in the next two years”, as a way of curbing the menace.

The United Nations has warned that some 50,000 children could starve to death this year if nothing is done.

However, the Federal Government has expressed readiness to welcome a global partnership that would ensure a concerted and focused international response to the humanitarian crisis arising from the insurgency in the northeast.

Over two million persons have been displaced in the northeast, a fallout of the over six years of insurgency by a terrorist group, Boko Haram.

“It is very important that you chose to come and offer some partnership. This is great and we are pleased…Partnership is certainly the way to go,” the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said on Monday, while receiving members of the ONE campaign led by the international rock star, Bono, and Africa’s richest man, Mr Aliko Dangote.

He said no matter how prepared a country could be, handling the kind of crisis in the northeast with over two million displaced people including children, as a single country “would be irresponsible”.

“A global partnership to address the situation should be coordinated and more focussed on what is required to be done, for instance, in addressing the issue of malnourished children and not attempting to do too much things at once,” he told the gathering.

Earlier, the Irish born artist, Bono, said he had visited some of the IDPs.

“We want to be useful to you,” he said, explaining that what he saw in the region was “deeply disturbing”, he maintained.