The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says the poor nutrition state of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Bama will soon improve.
The Northeast Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Mr Mohammed Kannar, said this on Thursday when he confirmed the reports on starving refugees to Channels Television.
Speaking on Thursday during a phone interview, Mr Kannar said the agency was working with other aid agencies to ensure the victims were effectively taken care of.
“We’ve made a joint collaboration with all other NGOs which we brought down under the leadership of the Ministry of Health of Borno State,” he said.
The NEMA official revealed that 1,800 malnourished IDPs were relocated from Bama to Maiduguri, the Borno State capital in northeast Nigeria.
He noted that the Dangote Foundation has donated lots of materials to the Boko Haram insurgency victims, where 28 trucks of food materials have been sent to Bama.
With the new development, he promised that the poor state of the insurgent victims would improve in a short time.
The internationally renowned charity group, doctors without borders, MSF had reported that about 200 refugees fleeing the Boko Haram militants have starved to death over the past month in Bama.
The MSF says that a catastrophic humanitarian emergency is unfolding at a camp it visited where 24,000 people have taken refuge.
The United States has condemned the March 16 bombing where dozens of people were killed and several others injured at a Mosque near Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, Northeast Nigeria.
A statement by the Public Affairs Section of the United States Diplomatic Mission to Nigeria, read “We extend our deepest condolences to the families of the latest victims of Boko Haram’s senseless brutality.
Boko Haram continues to commit vicious attacks against innocent civilians, including children. It has demonstrated repeatedly its disregard for the lives of the tens of thousands it has killed, raped, and injured and the millions it has displaced in the Lake Chad Basin region”.
The United States says it will continue to support those affected by Boko Haram’s violence through ongoing humanitarian aid and victim support services while it remains committed to assisting its partners in the Lake Chad Basin region who are leading the fight to end Boko Haram’s wanton violence and restore peace.
Nigerian Army Chiefs have met in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, to strategise in a desperate attempt to meet up with the December 31 deadline set by President Muhammadu Buhari to stamp out Boko Haram in the northern part of Nigeria.
The meeting took place at the Military Command and Control Centre in Maimalari Barracks, Maiduguri.
The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Gabriel Olonishakin; Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Tukur Buratai, and the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Abubakar Yusha’u, were also present at the meeting.
The CDS expressed regret over the loss of lives recently recorded in the front lines. He described it as a setback to the operations, but expressed optimism owing to the successes so far recorded in the operations.
President Buhari had expressed confidence that Boko Haram’s ability to attack, seize, ravage and hold any Nigerian territory would be completely wiped out by the end of December 2015.
He said that the Nigerian Armed Forces are well positioned to meet the December deadline which they have been given to end the insurgency.
Just as the residents of Damaturu are still trying to come to terms with the suicide bombings that claimed the lives of six people and injured over 40 on Tuesday, another suicide bombing has been reported in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
A soldier is reported to have been killed in the blast which occurred at the airport junction checkpoint, injuring one other person last night.
It was gathered that the supposed suicide bomber and his accomplice were blown up in the attack.
The injured person is said to be a female passerby.
Army spokesperson of the 7Division in Maiduguri, Colonel Tukur Gusau, confirmed the incident.
Civilian Joint Task Force operatives have cleared the debris of the suicide bombers and normal activities have returned to the area and other parts of the capital city.
Suicide bombing was last experienced in Maiduguri on the 31st of last month in a vegetable market, killing six people.