Troops Foil Attack By Three Suicide Bombers In Maiduguri

Corpses of the suicide bomber being evacuated by NEMA/BOSEMA teams

Troops of the Nigerian Army have prevented another attack by suicide bombers in Maiduguri.

Three teenage female suicide bombers had attempted to attack military outpost popularly known as “Gontanamo” along Muna garage, Maiduguri around 10:05pm on Wednesday.

They were sighted, however, trying to gain access to the premises and were shot by the security operatives leading to the detonation of their concealed explosives, which killed all three of them and injured one of the security personnel.

The Information Officer of the National Emergency Management Agency in the North East, Abdulkadir Ibrahim, confirmed the attack in a statement.

The corpses were evacuated to Borno state Specialist Hospital by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and Borno State Emergency Management Agency (BOSEMA) Emergency Response teams, the statement added.

 

IDPs Vacate Schools In Maiduguri

IDPsThe Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) have vacated public schools within Maiduguri town where they have been sheltered by the Borno State Government.

On Tuesday, the State Emergency Management Agency evacuated the IDPs to alternative camps for the reopening and commencement of academic session in public schools.

Three public schools had already been vacated as thousands of relocated IDPs adjust in their new camps.

Borno State education officials said that the closure of schools had been a setback for the state, but the plan is to get the kids back to their classes as soon as possible.

Six out of the 23 makeshift camps for the IDPs in Maiduguri were located within boarding public schools.

The schools were shut down to make room for dislodged persons from local council areas in the heat of the insurgency.

Displaced persons from the Government College Maiduguri had stayed the longest in the temporary shelter, following the taking over of their town by the outlawed Boko Haram since May, 2014.

On Sunday, the IDPs from Gwoza Council Area of Borno State protested their evacuation from public schools within the capital city where they found temporary shelter for more than a year.

An IDP, Adamu Modu, told Channels Television that:” The truth is we have been fighting for our return home.

“Our leaders have been telling us that the terrorists are still seen in our town. Our cry is that we need the government to help us return home since the rainy season is setting in, we can go back to our farms and begin to help ourselves.”

But a representative of the State Emergency Management Agency, Ahmed Satomi, said that security reports indicated that returning the nearly 6,000 IDPs to Gwoza is not a good idea.

Other evacuees from the Women Teachers’ College and Yerwa Girls’ Secondary School were split between the Dalori and Gubio road camps respectively.

Humanitarian officials said that there are nearly two million refugees in Maiduguri either living in makeshift camps or with relatives within the host community.

Gwoza IDPs Protest Evacuation From Schools

IDPsInternally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Gwoza Council Area of Borno State are protesting their evacuation from public schools within the capital city where they have found temporary shelter for more than a year.

The State Government had shut down public schools within Maiduguri to accommodate the displaced persons sacked from 20 local government areas in the heat of Boko Haram insurgents attacks.

Evacuation of the displaced persons to alternative makeshift camps is part of government’s plans to reopen public schools.

Eight thousand school age children were forced out of their classes.

The Chairman of the State Emergency Management Agency, Ahmed Satomi, said that 700 tents had already been constructed at the Bakassi camp to house the IDPS from Monguno and Gwoza Local Government Areas.

Mr Satomi said that the Yerwa Secondary School and Women Teachers’ College among others, had already been evacuated. Some IDPs from Gwoza Local Council had been occupying the Government College Maiduguri.

A Borno Senator, Shehu Garbai, recently said that most local government areas in the state were partially occupied by the terrorists.

Mr Garbai claimed that out of the 12 local wards in Gwoza, six were still under the control of Boko Haram. This is contrary to claims by the Minister of Information, Mr Lai Mohammed, in December that Boko Haram insurgents had been sufficiently decimated and could no longer take away any territory from Nigerians.

The outlawed Boko Haram had overran Gwoza late 2014 in a bloody attack.

In March 2015, the Nigerian military announced the liberation of Gwoza.

Boko Haram: Army Imposes Curfew On Maiduguri

Boko HaramThe Army has imposed a 24-hour curfew on Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State in Nigeria’s north east region, after Wednesday’s attack on Kayamla village.

Before now the curfew was 7pm to 6am.

Some residents told Channels Television that the attackers launched the offensive through an area called “Cashew Plantation” behind Giwa Barracks, the headquarters of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army.

Our correspondent in Maiduguri, Blessing Tunor, said that sounds of heavy gunshot were heard from the direction of the barracks on Wednesday and residents took to their heels to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

Only recently, the military announced that it had raided Sambisa Forest, believed to be the last stronghold of the terrorists, and rescued numerous women and children as well.

The Boko Haram militants have suffered losses in recent times, following a fresh onslaught by the Nigerian military, leading to the recapture of territories formerly controlled by the insurgents and the rescue of over a thousand people held in captivity in various locations in the northeast.

1, 200 Repatriated Borno Indigenes Arrive Maiduguri

internally displaced persons IDPs in NigeriaAt least 1,200 indigenes of Borno repatriated from Niger Republic arrived the state on Tuesday and were received by the Borno State Emergency Management Agency.

The deportees are among the over 6,000 sent parking from Niger after the attack of two of the country’s island by Boko Haram, as a fallout of ongoing military operations in Sambisa Forest, dislodging the bandits from their enclave.

They have found temporary shelter in a new camp established by the state government bringing the number of camps established for Internally Displaced Persons to 21.

Most of the deportees had abandoned their hometowns and migrated to neighbouring Niger Republic following attacks by the Boko Haram group.

20 local governments in the state were sacked by the insurgents and the inhabitants now live in makeshift camps in the capital city.

Speaking to Channels Television, heavily pregnant 15 year-old Aisha Abubakar, went into forced labour after many hours of trekking.

“Karanga town was attacked, and we are neighbours and probably their next target. Even the soldiers deployed to our area withdrew so we had to escape. We travelled on foot for two days”, she said.

Recounting his ordeal, Njidda Aminu said “they (Boko Haram) burnt our houses in Baga and sacked everyone so we escaped to Niger. We started farming to support our families until recently when the Nigerien government asked us to leave.”

Hauwa Garba, however, claimed to be in contact with her relatives living in Internally Displaced Persons’ camps spread across the capital city and remains hopeful of a re-union.

“We were terrified when we heard about boko haram attacks around us so we trekked for days until we got to Gaidam in Yobe State, a lot of people died on the way as we came out due to hunger and thirst. Some of my family members who escaped from Baga are in Maiduguri but I am yet to meet them”, she said

The Chairman of Borno State Emergency Management Agency, Grema Terab, said the state government is not ruling out the possibility of collapsing the new camp into the 20 already in existence when verification exercises are concluded.

Mr Grema, adds that more people are still expected as the Nigerien government continues to repatriate more people.

“The 2,400 are not the only people we are expecting back in Borno from Niger and provisions have been made to get them housed in one of the 400 Housing Estate along Gubio Road.

“Some of them, though Nigerians, were born in Niger and have never been to Nigeria. We have to keep them in a camp for now, console them and treat those that are traumatised with the intention of allowing them to mix with other Nigerians in not too distant a time.

“We are equally looking at the possibility of assisting them to start a new life in the country by given them economic assistance”, he said.

Mr Terab also called for assistance from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Federal Government.