Borno Govt. Confirms First Case Of Lassa Fever

Lassa Fever, Plateau State, Kamshak KundenThe Borno State Government has confirmed the diagnosis of Lassa fever in a 32-year-old woman in Zabarmari, a village located on the outskirts of Maiduguri metropolis.

The Commissioner of Health, Dr. Haruna Mshelia, who said this noted that incident was the first to be recorded in the state in northeast Nigeria.

Dr. Mshelia said the survivor fell sick last week and was admitted at a government hospital in Maiduguri, while a sample of her blood was taken to Lagos for test and returned positive.

He said though the situation was under control as the victim was responding to treatment, the ministry had to summon all stakeholders, including traditional rulers to sensitise the public on the need to ensure proper sanitation and avoid eating rodents, especially rats.

The commissioner noted that officials from the ministry had visited Zabarmari where they identified 23 people who had contact with the victim.

“So far we are in contact with 23 of her relations and we are following them up; all of them are healthy.

“But this disease takes between two to 21 days to develop; so we will not stop following them up until this period elapses,” he said.

Dr. Mshelia stressed further that those suspected to have personal contact have been quarantined.

He hinted that the ministry would soon embark on house-to-house fumigation, assuring the people of the state that there was no cause for alarm.

“We have formed teams that are to follow the relations, teams that are to go to the hospital and ensure that single case is treated properly and nobody catches the disease, and we have enlightened teams among others,” he said.

The incident management team, according to the commissioner, comprises “the state ministry of health, the Federal Government’s Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), and our partners chiefly the World Health Organisation and the Borno State Environmental Protection Agency (BOSEPA)”.

Mshelia explained that “the role of BOSEPA is to move to Zabarmari and we will try to see if we can catch few of the rats for examination.

“Then the whole town will be fumigated house-to-house, to get rid of the rats that are there that could be infected”.

A report published in January 2017 by the NCDC had warned on the increased number of Lassa fever cases, even as it advised increased focus on prevention and preparedness.

The report indicated that from December 2016, Nigeria has recorded 19 cases of Lassa fever and six deaths in seven states.

Security Operatives Disagree Over Food Distribution To IDPs

IDPs, GwozaA policeman is reported to have been injured following an exchange of gunfire between soldiers and the police at the Borno State Government House in Maiduguri.

The fight was said to have erupted following disagreement over the distribution of foodstuff to Internally Displaced Persons.

The distribution of the food items for Ramadan was moved closer to the Government House after hoodlums reportedly hijacked the exercise in the outskirts of Maiduguri.

In a joint statement, signed by Commander, 7 Division Garrison, Operation Lafiya Dole, Col. S.B Kumapaiye and Commissioner of Police, Borno State Command, Aminchi Baraya, they explained that they have commenced an investigation into the matter, promising to make their findings public knowledge as soon as possible.

“The distribution was meant to take place at 28 wards of the two local government areas unfortunately, when the exercise was launched in old Maiduguri ward for Jere local government area and at Shehuri north ward for Maiduguri on Sunday, hoodlums overpowered the committee in both instances and made away with many bags of the rice meant for the displaced persons.

“As a result, officials tasked with the distribution shifted the exercise to two premises around the office of the Deputy Governor outside the Government House in order to ensure security of the food items while beneficiaries were identified and issued with allocation notes to give them access to the distribution centers.

“The exercise had gone smoothly since Sunday with some wards covered, until the unfortunate development today (Thursday).

“The Nigerian Army and the Nigeria Police Force in Maiduguri jointly condemn this unfortunate incident which was quickly brought under full control within minutes.

“The Army and the Police are jointly investigating the cause of the fracas with a view to ensuring that anyone found culpable amongst the security men are made to face disciplinary measures in line with laid down rules of the Nigerian Armed Forces. Findings and measures taken will be brought to public knowledge as soon as possible.

“The Army and the police operating in Borno assure the general public that they will continue to collaborate and work together towards their ongoing counter insurgency and civil security efforts that have led to the emerging peace in Borno State.

“The Army and the Police commands in Borno State call on all personnel to exercise restraint in the cause of their duties and should strive to respect one another and work together to secure innocent citizens and maintain peace”, the joint statement said.

They also gave the assurance that they will continue to collaborate towards advancing the ongoing counter insurgency and civil security efforts that have led to the emerging peace in Borno State.

Rescued Chibok Girl: Hunger Forced Alleged Husband To Surrender

Recovered_GirlFresh facts have emerged as to how Mohammed Hayatu, alleged husband of rescued Chibok girl Amina Ali, was arrested.

Hayatu, one of the Boko Haram commanders also known as “Amir” reportedly escaped with his wife from the Sambisa forest and surrendered to Civilian Joint Task Force members in Balle, a village in Damboa.

This is according to military sources in Damboa, who also accompanied Amina to Maiduguri.

The commander of the outlawed group stated hunger and ill health as reasons for his action as according to him his family would have starved to death following the blocking of supply routes by intensive military operations.

Ali Gwoza and Apagu Chibok are some of the vigilante members, who identified Amina, when her captor gave himself up.

Amina and her four-month old baby, Safiya, was accompanied by the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division, General Victor Ezugwu to the Borno state Government House to meet Governor Kashim Shettima.

Shettima is expected to proceed with her to Abuja on Thursday where he would hand her over to President Muhammad Buhari.

Journalists have been barred from filming or taking pictures of the rescued girl.

Dressed in a loose gown, pale and frail, Amina walks with difficulty to the governor’s office.

Governor Shettima, who interacted with Amina, has declined comments on the latest turn of events.

Rescued Chibok Girl, Others Arrives Borno State Government House

Recovered_GirlThe rescued Chibok girl, Amina Ali, has arrived the Borno State Government House in Maiduguri, the state capital.

She was rescued on Wednesday with a child and other women in Sambisa following military operations in conjunction with the Civilian JTF members.

She has since been reunited tearfully with her family in Balala village.

The Governor of Borno State, Mr Kashim Shettima, is expected to make a statement after meeting with the freed mother of one.

Boko_Husband
Suspected Boko Haram terrorist, Mohammed Hayatu, who claimed to be Amina Ali’s husband.

The Nigerian military in a statement said “troops of 25 Brigade Damboa in conjunction with Civilian JTF deployed in one of the blocking positions at Baale, near Damboa rescued one Miss Amina Ali and a suspected Boko Haram terrorist, Mohammed Hayatu, who claimed to be her husband.

“Both were brought to Headquarters 25 Task Force Brigade Damboa at about 2.30pm today (Wednesday)”.