Yobe APC Alleges PDP Planning Election Shift In North-East

APC Vs PDPThe Yobe State chapter of the All Progressive Congress (APC) has alleged that the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) is planning for a shift in the conduct of the general election in four north-east states of the country.

A statement issued by secretary of the chapter, Mr Abubakar Bakabe, states that “we are concerned with the phony plan by the PDP for a shift in the conduct of the general elections in Adamawa, Borno, Yobe and Gombe States from the rescheduled March 28th and 11th April, 2015.

According to Bakabe, the plot “is to pave way for the PDP to rig the election and augment their poor performances in other states, through the use of security forces to be massively deployed to the states”.

The statement also condemned the “ill-conceived plan for a serial rape of democracy in Nigeria, by sinking party that foresees ultimate failure in the forthcoming election and is therefore, afraid of facing Nigerians at the polls due to its failure in the last 15 years of leadership”.

It stated further that “We are also concerned with the hidden agenda contained in the heinous plan to intimidate, disenfranchise, and rig the election, reminiscent of what happened in the Ekiti States governorship election last year, through massive deployment of security forces to create an environment for rigging”

The party according to the statement, advises the PDP to refrain from this obnoxious, dangerous and undemocratic stand posing great threat to the democracy in Nigeria.

It reminded security agencies on the need to be highly professional, patriotic and to abide by the international best practices.

It also enjoined the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and other stakeholders not to be distracted by such “devilish, unpatriotic and undemocratic plans aimed at thwarting the smooth transition and successful conduct of the general election in Nigeria come 28th March and 11th April 2015”.

37 Die In Gun Battle In Biu

Bomb-Explosion_CarA gun battle between security forces and suspected members of the Boko Haram insurgency at an entry “stop and search point” at the northern axis of Biu along Maiduguri highway has left 37 people dead, residents said.

Witnesses told Channels Television that suspected members of the Boko Haram insurgents from Mirnga area, in an attempt to smuggle the Improvised Explosive Devises (IED) into Biu town, were trapped at a military check point and a gun battle with security forces led to the detonation of the IED, killing scores of people.

The entry check point is being manned by the military and some members of the youth volunteer popularly called “Civilian JTF”.

A member of the Biu Youth Volunteer involved in the rescue of those affected in the clash who pleaded anonymity said “17 members of the insurgents were killed in the gun battle while 20 other innocent civilians mostly hawkers, travellers, some members of the civilian JTF and farmers returning home were affected at the scene”.

He said 23 others who sustained injuries are being treated at the Biu General Hospital.

He said, “Two members of the Boko Haram insurgents were transporting the IED to Biu town from Mirnga area with the aim of wreaking havoc on innocent people when security men at the entry point were promptly alerted leading to the combat in efforts to protect entering the town with the explosive devices.”

In the process according to him, other members of the insurgents stormed the scene with a view to fighting the security men manning the check point.

A hospital soured told Channels Television that “37 corpses were brought to the hospital after the explosion and subsequent clashed between security forces and the Boko Haram militants”.

Biu is the largest commercial and administrative town located in the southern part of Borno State, north east Nigeria some 187 KM away from Maiduguri the state capital.

Tuesday’s blast is coming five days after a suicide bomber hit Biu central market killing 15 civilians and injuring several others.

Authorities are yet to confirm the incident which occurred around 1:00 in the afternoon.

President Jonathan Vows To Free Abducted Chibok Girls

Goodluck Jonathan andabducted Chibok Girls parentsThe Federal Government has reassured Nigerians and the Chibok community of the Government’s determination to ensure that the abducted schoolgirls that are still in captivity are brought out alive.

This is the outcome of the special presidential meeting which was held with the parents of the Chibok girls in the Presidential Villa.

Speaking to State House correspondents after the meeting, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr Reuben Abati, said that the President used the opportunity of the meeting to empathize with the girls and their parents and reassured them that everything would be done to make things easier for them especially the ones that have already escaped and the ones yet to be rescued.

“Statement was made by all the category representatives and they spoke their mind, they conveyed their messages and the girls spoke on the account of what they went through in the hands of their captors,” he said.

President Goodluck Jonathan also assured them that their education would not be allowed to suffer and after everything, evil would never prevail over good.

Fifty-one of the girls who escaped from their abductors, a terrorist group, Boko Haram, were brought to the presidential villa earlier alongside the parents of those still in the camp of the Boko Haram.

Chibok-Girls-at-meeting-with-president-jonathan
Some of the girls that escaped from their abductors were present at the meeting

The meeting was held under tight security and not even the State House correspondents were allowed to cover the closed-door meeting.

Before the meeting started, four of the brand new buses for the Abuja Urban Mass Transit were used to convey the girls and their parents from their hotel to the venue of the long expected meeting.

Journalists and security personnel watched as the girls and their parents, one after the other, beginning with the school principal, alighted from the buses.

Some other parents of the missing girls further alighted from another bus, with some of them looking devastated by the situation they found themselves in.

Into the hall proper, the escaped girls were meant to seat together about 51 of them. Parents of the girls still in captivity sat at one end, parents of the escaped girls were together, while the community and opinion leaders, who are not direct parents of the girls, also sat together.

President Jonathan joined them at about 11:15am local time to kick-start the special meeting.

Also at the meeting were the governors of Borno and Bauchi States, Senate President, Ministers of Education, Finance, Information and other key officials in the Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, including security personnel.