Two FUTO Students Detained In Bosnia To Return Home Soon, Says Dabiri-Erewa

 

Two Nigerians students of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) held in an illegal migrants centre in Bosnia and Herzegovina are expected back into the country soon.

This is according to the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa who disclosed this in a statement.

She explained that their return is a sequel to a series of diplomatic interventions from the Nigerian Mission in Hungary and Mr. Geoffrey Onyema, Hon. Minister of Foreign Affairs, who directed for full investigations to be carried out.

Five students from the university, without the knowledge of the Nigerian Table Tennis Federation, attended an international table tennis competition in Croatia.

“According to a report, Abia Alexandro Uchenna, Eboh Kenneth Chinedu, and three other students arrived in Zagreb, capital of Croatia, on November 12, for the fifth world inter-university championships held in the country.

“They were allegedly arrested while taking a walk around the country’s capital on November 18 as they couldn’t produce relevant documents to the police.

“The police officers were reported to have transferred the students to
the country’s Bosnia-Herzegovina border, where Croatian authorities had gathered a group of illegal migrants attempting to cross into the
country.”

READ ALSO: Take A Cue From Turkish Airlines Experience, Sirika Warns Foreign Operators

While two of them returned over two weeks ago, three of them stayed back, one had already applied for asylum.

“Arrangements have been concluded to send the two Nigerians back to Croatia anytime from yesterday, Friday, December 13, 2019, adding that the Nigerian Mission in Hungary has taken steps to ensure that the matter is resolved and the welfare of the two Nigerians protected.

“Five of them went for the table tennis event without the knowledge of the Nigerian Table Tennis Federation, two returned over two weeks ago, three of them stayed back while one already applied for asylum.

“Although the Croatia Authorities through our Ambassador in Budapest denied the allegation involving maltreatment by the Croatian Police, the Hon. Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama has demanded a full investigation into the matter.”

She said the conditions attached to their release include the usage of their return tickets from Zagreb, Croatia back to Nigeria and must not seek Asylum in Croatia, just as one of them did already.

Dabiri-Erewa appealed to Nigerians to always inform relevant authorities whenever they go on such trips outside the country and be of good behaviour.

Bosnia Boss, Prosinecki Resigns After Euro 2020 ‘Failure’

 

Former Croatia international Robert Prosinecki resigned as Bosnia and Herzegovina coach on Sunday after “failing” to reach Euro 2020 following a 4-2 defeat by Armenia.

Prosinecki, who featured for his country as they finished third at the 1998 World Cup, had been in the post since January last year but his side sit fourth in their group on seven points from six games, eight behind leaders Italy.

“I discussed with everyone and I resign. Since I began the position, I thought we would qualify. We failed,” the 50-year-old said after the match in Yerevan.

As a coach he worked as an assistant with Croatia before being appointed as Azerbaijan boss after a playing career which included spells at Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla.

Bosnia’s only appearance at a major tournament was the 2014 World Cup in Brazil where they finished third in their group behind Nigeria and eventual runners-up Argentina.

Novak Djokovic Reacts To Monte Carlo Defeat

Novak-Djokovic-Andy-Murray-Tennis-Monte-CarloDefending champion, Novak Djokovic, has reacted to his exit from the Monte Carlo Masters after losing to Jiri Vesely.

Djokovic played down reports that an early exit from the competition would aid his chances of winning the French Open at Roland Garros this year.

Unseeded Vesely stunned the world’s number one 6-4 2-6 6-4 to hand Djokovic his second defeat this year.

The organisers of the Monte Carlo Masters said that it was the defending champion’s earliest defeat in the last three seasons.

Vesely came out strongly to win the first set 6-4 as Djokovic seemed to lack his usual speed around the court.

On the flip side, second seeded Andy Murray had to work hard to scale through to the quarter-finals of the competition.

The two-time Grand Slam winner dropped the first set to Benoit Paire of France, and risked losing the second before equaling the scores.

He took just over two and a half hours to finish the match, winning the third set 7-5.

Murray goes on to play Canada’s Milos Raonic, who beat Damir Dzumhur of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Hazard Injured, To Miss Belgium’s Euro Qualifier

HazardThe Belgian national team manager, Marc Wilmots, has confirmed that Chelsea’s in-form midfielder, Eden Hazard, would miss Belgium’s Friday night Euro 2016 qualifier against Andorra.

This is a precaution ahead of the team’s Monday night duel against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Zenica.

Hazard’s exclusion from the home game against Andorra is to get him 100% fit for a supposedly tougher match away to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Coach Wilmots, via his twitter had announced; “As a precaution, @hazardeden10 will not play against Andorra because of a bruised toe. Trying to get him 100 per cent for #bosbel.”

Harzard had picked up a knock in Chelsea’s 2-0 Premier League win over Arsenal at the weekend but still joined the national team in preparation for the double qualifiers.

News on FIFA.com also revealed that Coach Wilmot has certified Hazard’s club and international team-mate, Thibaut Courtois, fit after the head injury which ended his weekend involvement against the Gunners.

Belgium are placed in Group B alongside Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus, Wales and Israel for qualification towards the UEFA Euro 2016.