Running Blades: Pistorius told to back claims with evidence by IPC

Sprint star Oscar Pistorious’s claim about the length of his rivals’ artificial running blades has been thrown out by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) saying there is no substance to the allegations.

The media and communications director for the IPC; Craig Spence said at a news conference in London on Wednesday that there is no evidence that any athlete competed on different size running blades, unless South Africa can come up with some evidence that proves otherwise, but aside that the IPC won’t continue investigation.

It was reported that South Africa had made a formal complaint raising Pistorius’s claims he was at a disadvantage in the T44 200m final because other runners were a lot taller and he could not compete with their stride length.

Pistorius’s defeat to Brazil’s Alan Oliveira was his first defeat in a 200m in nine years and means he will now not retain the three sprint titles he won in Beijing.

The 25-year-old – the most high-profile athlete at the Games after he became the first double-amputee to compete at the Olympics last month – said he had raised the issue with the IPC but it had fallen “on deaf ears”.

He later apologised for the timing of the comments but not the substance.

Spence said they had spoken to national team coaches and found no evidence to back up the claims.

Swapping blades mid-competition is currently against the rules.

Spence said Games organisers contacted all national Paralympic committees in April this year and asked them to highlight any concerns about the rules but no issues were raised by South Africa.

The IPC has said all athletes’ prostheses, which have to be in proportion to the length of their body, were measured on Sunday and no infringements were found.

 

 

English Premier League most challenging in World Football- Santos

channels_television-arsenal_andre_santosAndre Santos; the Arsenal defender who just returned from the injury table of the Gunners stated his belief that the English Premier League is the best in the World so far and he is also glad that his level of adaption to playing in the league has been amazing.

Signed from Turkish club Fernerbahce August 2011,Santo who is 29 years old has made his presence felt dynamically on the left flank of the club.

After three months hiatus,the Brazillain fullback launched himself back on the pitch in Arsenal’s 3-nil victory against Aston Villa as a substitute.

Santos has been out of action due a broken foot sustained three months ago in the UEFA Chapions Leaguetie against Olympiakos, although it is almost certain that he would be ending a trophyless season with Arsenal but the young lad has made a point of service to elevate the success of Arsenal time to come.

Santos expressed his joy at his acceptance by Gunners fans and club staffs as it made him relax and adapt quickly.

Santos revealed he had been inspired by the messages of support during his time on the sidelines, after being injured in the Champions League group game away to Olympiakos.