Rodgers Slams English FA For Suarez’s 10-Match Ban

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers criticised the English Football Association (FA) for punishing the man rather than the incident after striker Luis Suarez was given a 10-game ban for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.

Rodgers compared the punishment meted out on Suarez to two other biting incidents, including one involving England striker Jermaine Defoe.

He said that Suarez acted impulsively and said the club would help him to make sure there would be no repeat.

Meanwhile, Suarez is yet to lodge an appeal against the 10-match ban as he was given till Friday 1100 GMT to lodge an appeal.

It would be recalled that the 26 year old Liverpool striker  was suspended on Wednesday after he was shown to have bitten Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic on the arm during Chelsea-Liverpool weekend clash.

With the ban placed on the striker, Suarez will be out of action for Liverpool for the rest of the season and the first six games of next season.

Suarez is the second top scorer with 23 goals in the English Premier League behind Manchester United’s Robin Van Persie.

Reds Willing To Bid For Celtic Defender Efe Ambrose

One of Nigeria’s defenders at the just concluded Afcon 2013 tournament where Nigeria’s Super Eagles were crowned champions of Africa is been the talk of the press in Scotland.

The Nigerian defender Efe Ambrose who plays for Celtics we hear is being wanted by Liverpool to add to its defence line.

According to Metro, the 24 year old Nigerian who is rated to be worth £6 million prompted Liverpool to up their game in their interest for the player after the player impressed scouts with his performances at the African Cup of Nations.

Scouts brought the name of the Nigerian international back to Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers after the tournament.

Liverpool representatives have been dispatched to watch the £6million-rated 24-year-old during the Hoops’ title procession in Scotland, as they ‘step up’ their interest in the player.

Manager Neil Lennon is well aware of the interest in his player, but revealed that there is yet to be a concrete offer for the player, who is contracted at Parkhead until 2015.

“I know a few Ambrose fans. There is nothing concrete, but I am aware of the interest,” he is quoted as saying by the paper.

Liverpool aren’t full of options in defence, with veteran centre Jamie Carragher announcing earlier in the month that he’s to retire at the end of the season.

That leaves Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Sebastian Coates as the manager’s options at Anfield in the summer, and Rodgers already appears to be looking at his options on Merseyside.

Loaning Andy Carroll a great mistake – Brendan Rodgers

Manager Brendan Rodgers painfully admitted that Liverpool made the worst move as regards the loan move of Andy Carroll over the summer transfer window.

According to the loan deal, the striker will be spending the rest of the season on loan at West Ham after it appeared he didn’t fit into the former Swansea manager’s new scheme and tactics at the Merseyside club.

With three Premier League matches in his kitty this season, Rodgers has already conceded that loaning Carroll was a mistake, and one that the club could regret throughout the 2012/13 season.

Rodgers’ admissions about the star striker’s departure from the club could not have come at a more interesting time for the Reds, with owner John Henry penning an open letter to the club’s supporters as to the reasons behind their lack of summer transfer activity—particularly on the transfer deadline day, when it was revealed they would not be able to sign Clint Dempsey from Fulham.

Henry stated that the club would not be drawn into “expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years and went out to state they would not be making similar transfer mistakes to those made in the past few seasons.

On one level, not so much—the real mistake is the fact that they did not manage to sign another striker to add to their team this summer. The exit of Carroll on loan this season to try and regain some Premier League form is okay, as long as the Reds aren’t left a striker short for the remainder of the season—which it appears they have been.

Luis Suarez cannot be expected to shoulder all the attacking responsibilities, and Joe Allen simply will not be as effective as he could be at Anfield following the departure of Carroll—the same could also be said for Raheem Sterling.

Liverpool’s mistake was not ridding themselves of the £35 million signing; their mistake was not adequately replacing him with another striker and leaving themselves a man down for the remainder of the 2012/13 English Premier League season.