BBOG Group Says It Will Ensure Chibok Girls Rehabilitation

Aisha Yessuff on rescued chibok girlsThe Bring Back Our Girls campaign group says it will continue to keep the government on its toes to ensure that the full rehabilitation and re-integration of the 21 released Chibok girls.

The girls who were students of the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok were abducted on April 14, 2014 by members of the Boko Haram terrorists group.

They regained freedom on Thursday, after the government secured their release through negotiation.

Speaking with Channels Television at the usual sit out of the group on Sunday, a co-convener of the group, Aisha Yessuff, said the group would monitor to ensure that the promises made to the girls such as re-integrating them into schools were fulfilled.

The group also called on international organisations who had pledged their support in the past to ensure that they help the Federal Government in the rehabilitation of the girls.

“What we are assuring Nigerians is that we will not allow the government to shift from its responsibility.

“It is the responsibility of the government to ensure that they get the right education that they can.

“BBOG can help in whatever way it can to ensure that they get that right education,” she promised.

released-chibok-girls
Treas flow as the released girls reunite with their parents

Mrs Yessuff, however, pointed out that now that some girls had regained freedom, it was time for the government to come in and help rehabilitate the girls.

The group, however, said it would continue in its advocacy to ensure the release of not just the remaining school girls still in captivity, but that of every Nigerian that is still in captivity.

The government had promised that it would secure the release of the other girls still in captivity.

It had also promised to rehabilitate the released girls.

While efforts continue to ensure that other girls are released, the Minister of Information and Culture, Mr Lai  Mohammed has warned Nigerians to avoid reckless analysis that could jeopardise the chances of securing the girls’ release.

He made the demand on Sunday during a thanksgiving service organised for the released girls where they were also reunited with their parents.

Group Calls For Verification Of Military Operations

Bring-Back-Our-girlsThe Bring Back Our Girls Campaign group in Nigeria has asked the military to designate independent journalists as part of its contingents within the Multi-national Joint Task Force, to ensure third party independently verified accounts of the war against insurgency and terrorism in the nation’s north-east.

This call formed part of the group’s second week brief on the monitoring initiative, which they said was set to help entrench accountability and improved performance in the on-going counter insurgency operations.

The campaigners, who said they fully support the on-going offensive which is expected to quell insurgency in Nigeria, also requested that the military publish the list of towns and communities still under the control of the Boko Haram insurgents, to enhance Nigerians’ appreciation of the reclamation victories made by the soldiers.

They had earlier expressed hopes that the heightened counter-terrorism offensive by the military against the terrorist group in Nigeria’s north-east, would lead to the rescue of the over 200 schoolgirls kidnapped last year in Chibok in Borno State.

They observed that the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshall Alex Badeh had, not long after the girls were kidnapped, said that the military knew where the girls were.

The House of Representatives in Nigeria, on the other hand, had also commended the military on its recent victories that led to reclaiming of some communities in the north-east region previously under the control of the Boko Haram terrorist group.

Lawmakers, who spoke on the matter, encouraged the troops to sustain the offensive and help ensure that other areas under the control of the insurgents would also be reclaimed.

The Director, Defence Information, Major-General Chris Olukolade said in a statement that the Nigerian military backed by air strikes, recaptured the town of Baga in Borno State, north-east Nigeria from the Islamist group Boko Haram.

He also noted that Apart from the 5 anti aircraft guns and the rifles captured from the terrorists, over 34 motorcycles and 5 vehicles including trucks being used for operations by the terrorists were destroyed in the course of the fighting as troops headed for Baga.

The Defence Spokesperson further noted that “similar exercise is being carried out in over 15 locations namely Gajigana, Ngaze, Ngenzai, Marte Junction, Mile 90, Yoyo, Kekeno, Kukawa, Cross Kauwa, Kangarwa, Amirari, Kichimatari, Borokari Barati, Kauwa and other localities where troops have flushed out the terrorists in the operations preceding the entry to Baga.

“The troops are now dominating and conducting aggressive patrols in the locations”, he added, insisting that the “morale of troops remain high”.

The Nigerian Military also said it was updating tactics against the Boko Haram Sect, with the addition of 260 Aerospace Engineers that graduated from the Nigerian Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) in Kaduna State to the Air Force.