Abducted Chibok Girls: Boko Haram Releases New Video

boko haram new videoA new video on the Chibok Girls has reportedly been released by the terrorist group Boko Haram, appearing to show some of the schoolgirls they abducted from Chibok in Borno state, Northeast Nigeria over two years ago.

News of the video release first emerged on twitter, with Nigerian Blogger, Ahmad Salkida claiming it was sent to him by the Abubakar Shekau faction of the Boko Haram.

This will be the third video released by the insurgents, and the second this year, after a video showing Proof of Life of the abducted Chibok Girls was earlier obtained by CNN in April.

The video shows a gun-toting insurgent carrying out a mock interview with one of the girls, who is being prompted to ask the government to release imprisoned Boko Haram fighters in return for the girls’ freedom.

Another scene in the video also shows bodies on the ground, which the group suggests are those killed by military airstrikes.


The kidnapping of over 270 schoolgirls from Government Secondary School Chibok in April 2014 sparked global outrage with calls for their release highlighted in an online campaign “Bring Back Our Girls”.

Recently reports emerged of a split in the ranks of the insurgent group, with a splinter group led by Shekau’s erstwhile second-in-command Abu Musab Al-Barnawi breaking away to form a rival faction.

No fewer than 218 girls are believed to still be in the group’s captivity while 58 escaped their captors.

Oby Ezekwesili Expects Buhari To Translate Speech Into Action

Oby-Ezekwesili on Buhari speechA former Nigerian Minister of Education says President Muhammadu Buhari’s inaugural speech is loaded with action which Nigerians will want to see how it will be translated into action.

Giving her opinion on the President’s speech, Mrs Oby Ezekwesili, who is also the leader of the Bring Back Our Girls Campaign Organisation, told Channels Television that it was inspiring and loaded with action, which she said was one of the attributes of a good speech.

Her comments came just as President Buhari’s speech and decision to relocate the military command to Bornu State have continued to attract more criticisms.

Mrs Ezekwesili said all the attributes of a good speech could be found in Buhari’s presentation, but stressed that Nigerians would be expecting to see the President walk the talk.

In his speech on Friday, May 29, President Buhari said the most immediate challenge that Nigeria should tackle was Boko Haram’s insurgency.

“Progress has been made in recent weeks by our security forces but victory can not be achieved by basing the Command and Control Centre in Abuja. The command centre will be relocated to Maiduguri and remain until Boko Haram is completely subdued. But we can not claim to have defeated Boko Haram without rescuing the Chibok girls and all other innocent persons held hostage by insurgents.

“This government will do all it can to rescue them alive. Boko Haram is a typical example of small fires causing large fires. An eccentric and unorthodox preacher with a tiny following was given posthumous fame and following by his extra judicial murder at the hands of the police. Since then through official bungling, negligence, complacency or collusion Boko Haram became a terrifying force taking tens of thousands of lives and capturing several towns and villages covering swathes of Nigerian sovereign territory.

“Boko Haram is a mindless, godless group who are as far away from Islam as one can think of. At the end of the hostilities when the group is subdued the Government intends to commission a sociological study to determine its origins, remote and immediate causes of the movement, its sponsors, the international connexions to ensure that measures are taken to prevent a reccurrence of this evil. For now the Armed Forces will be fully charged with prosecuting the fight against Boko Haram,” he said.