No Harry, Meghan Or Andrew On Queen’s Jubilee Balcony

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II reacts during an audience with Switzerland’s President Ignazio Cassis (unseen) at Windsor Castle, west of London on April 28, 2022. (Photo by Dominic Lipinski / POOL / AFP)

 

 

Queen Elizabeth’s son Prince Andrew, her grandson Harry and his wife Meghan will not join her on the Buckingham Palace balcony for this year’s Trooping the Colour, royal officials said on Friday.

Instead, the 96-year-old monarch has decided to limit numbers for the traditional set-piece appearance on her official birthday celebration to working royals only.

“Only those members of the royal family who are currently undertaking official public duties on behalf of the queen” will join her on June 2, a spokesman said.

The decision was taken “after careful consideration”, he added.

Speculation had mounted that all three could be at the event, which kicks off four days of public celebrations for the queen’s Platinum Jubilee.

Andrew, 62, in March made his first public appearence since settling a US civil claim for sexual assault, and after public outrage at his friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The former Royal Navy helicopter pilot provided his mother, who has been in ill health and had difficulty walking and standing, with a steadying arm at a memorial service to her late husband, Prince Philip.

His prominent role at the televised Westminster Abbey event was seen as a sign that his mother believed he still has a part to play at family occasions.

But his appearance caused controversy — and dominated coverage of the memorial service — and Friday’s announcement may be seen as a sign the palace does not want a repeat.

Andrew has strenuously denied the assault claims and remains stripped of his honorary military titles and charities, giving him no official royal role.

– Senior royals –
Speculation that Harry would return from his self-imposed exile in California has also increased after he visited his grandmother at her Windsor Castle home last month.

The 37-year-old former British Army captain is the second son of her eldest son and heir Prince Charles, and his first wife, Princess Diana.

He quit royal life in March last year, moving to the United States with his wife Meghan, where both have publicly complained about life in Britain’s most famous family.

The couple, who still use their official titles of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are now involved in charitable and philanthropic work.

Denying them a place on the balcony will likely be seen as the queen refusing to accept a “half-in, half-out” approach to royal duties.

There was no immediate word on whether all three would be involved in the other public events to mark the queen’s record-breaking 70 years on the throne.

But a spokeswoman for Harry and Meghan indicated they would be there with their children Archie, who turned three on Friday, and Lilibet, who was born in June last year and has yet to meet her great-grandmother.

The couple were “excited and honoured to attend the queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations this June with their children”, she added.

The decision means the queen will be joined on the balcony for the end of the military pageant and ceremonial fly-past by senior royals led by Charles and his second wife, Camilla.

Harry’s older brother Prince William and his wife Kate will be there, with their children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

The queen’s youngest son, Prince Edward, will be accompanied by his wife, Sophie, and their children Louise and James.

Her only daughter, Princess Anne, will also be on the balcony. The queen has allowed her second husband, Tim Laurence, even though he is not a working royal.

The palace spokesman said the queen recognised him as a “frequent attendee and support for the Princess Royal (Anne) on official engagements”.

In New Docuseries, Prince Harry Again Insists His Family Lacks Empathy

 

 

In a new documentary series set for release Friday Prince Harry is once again emphasizing that his family turned a blind eye to the struggles of his wife Meghan Markle, saying he will “never be bullied into silence.”

The series comes out a day after the release of an independent inquiry in Britain that found that a BBC journalist used falsified documents to land a sensational 1995 sit-down with Princess Diana, the mother of Harry and his elder brother William, in which she detailed her troubled marriage to Prince Charles.

“I thought my family would help, but every single ask, request, warning, whatever it is, just got met with total silence or total neglect,” Harry said concerning his wife’s depression after the birth of their son Archie.

Both Harry and his spouse have already detailed mental struggles, with Meghan saying she had suicidal thoughts in 2019.

 

This undated image released March 7, 2021 courtesy of Harpo Productions shows Britain's Prince Harry (L) and his wife Meghan (C), Duchess of Sussex, in a conversation with US television host Oprah Winfrey. Joe PUGLIESE / HARPO PRODUCTIONS / AFP
This undated image released March 7, 2021 courtesy of Harpo Productions shows Britain’s Prince Harry (L) and his wife Meghan (C), Duchess of Sussex, in a conversation with US television host Oprah Winfrey. Joe PUGLIESE / HARPO PRODUCTIONS / AFP

 

In the Apple+ series entitled “The Me You Can’t See” — which Harry co-produced with Oprah Winfrey — the grandson of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II says he felt ashamed going to his family, because he knew “that I’m not going to get from my family what I need.”

Focused on combatting the stigma surrounding the issue of mental health, the new docuseries doesn’t drop any new bombshells, but it sees the youngest son of Prince Charles and Diana deal a new blow to Windsor Castle.

The couple sat with Oprah at length for a CBS interview broadcast in early March, triggering the royal family’s biggest crisis since Harry’s mother died in a car crash in 1997.

In the new series Harry focuses criticism particularly on his father, who previously has been accused of indifference towards his children.

“My father used to say to me when I was younger, to both William and I: it was like that for me, so it’s going to be like that for you,” the 36-year-old also known as the Duke of Sussex says.

“That doesn’t make sense. Just because you suffered that doesn’t mean that your kids have to suffer,” Harry says.

“In fact quite the opposite. If you suffered, do everything you can to make sure that whatever negative experiences that you had, you can make it right for your kids.

 

FILES) In this file photo taken on May 18, 2019 Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II (L) and Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, leave St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle, Windsor, west of London, on May 18, 2019, after the wedding of Lady Gabriella Windsor and Thomas Kingston.
Steve Parsons / POOL / AFP

 

– Mental health priorities –
Harry has spoken to his father multiple times since the Oprah interview came out, notably after the funeral of his grandfather, Prince Philip, according to British media.

But their relations remain tense.

The majority of Britons hold unfavorable opinions of Harry and Meghan, according to a recent YouGov poll, as Prince Charles’ ratings have jumped.

Some British press accuses the couple of both denouncing media treatment and using coverage to boost their image.

In the series Harry says that as a boy he felt powerless to protect his mother, who was constantly hounded by the press.

On Thursday, journalist Martin Bashir apologized for using fake bank statements to persuade Diana to let him interview her for the BBC.

In the series Harry also details his experience with therapy, saying it has “equipped me to be able to take on anything” and especially helped him cope with the death of his mother when he was 12.

He said being with Meghan helped him realize the importance of mental health: “I knew that if I didn’t do the therapy and fix myself that I was going to lose this woman who I could see spending the rest of my life with.”

 

An arrangement of UK daily newspapers photographed as an illustration in London on January 9, 2020, shows front page headlines reporting on the news that Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, plan to step back as “senior” members of the Royal Family. 
DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS / AFP

 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in January 2020 announced they would quit frontline royal duties.

They relocated to California, where Meghan is from.

Harry says in the show his greatest regret is not “making more of a stance earlier in my relationship with my wife and calling out the racism” the former actor faced from British press and social media.

The prince doesn’t direct any accusations of racism towards his family in the documentary, though in March he said a relative was concerned over his son’s skin color before he was born.

That allegation shook Buckingham Palace, with Prince William, Harry’s brother, jumping to defend the institution: “We’re very much not a racist family.”

Queen ‘Saddened’, Takes Racism Claims ‘Seriously’ After Harry-Meghan Interview

FILES) In this file photo taken on June 21, 2017 Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II attends the State Opening of Parliament in the House of Lords at the Houses of Parliament in London on June 21, 2017. 
Carl Court / POOL / AFP

 

Queen Elizabeth II is saddened by the challenges faced by her grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, and takes their allegations of racism in the royal family seriously, Buckingham Palace said Tuesday.

“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan. The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning,” the palace said in a statement released on the queen’s behalf.

“While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan, and Archie will always be much-loved family members.”

 

 Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have lifted the lid on life inside Britain’s royal family with an explosive interview that reverberated around the world. (Photo by Paul ELLIS / AFP)

UK’s Prince Harry To Lose All Honorary Titles

In this file photo taken on March 07, 2020, Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive to attend The Mountbatten Festival of Music at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Britain’s Prince Harry will relinquish his honorary military appointments and patronages after confirming to Queen Elizabeth II that he and his wife Meghan Markle will not return as working royals, Buckingham Palace announced on February 19, 2021.

 

Britain’s Prince Harry will relinquish his honorary military appointments and patronages after confirming to Queen Elizabeth II that he and his wife Meghan Markle will not return as working royals, Buckingham Palace announced on Friday.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, rocked the British monarchy when they quit frontline royal duties a year ago.

They have since embarked on a new life involving several commercial ventures in the United States, and now live in California.

Under the initial terms of their departure thrashed out at an emergency summit with the queen in early 2020, Harry had agreed to review the decision a year on.

READ ALSO: Chinese Govt Confirms Four Died In June Clash On India border

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

“The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.

“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.”

Prince Harry, a former soldier, holds several honorary military titles, as well as Commonwealth appointments and some other patronages.

Meghan was also handed several honorary roles after she wed Harry in a fairytale ceremony at Windsor Castle in May, 2018.

The couple, who are expecting their second child, are poised to give an “intimate” interview about their lives with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey.

AFP

Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Expecting Second Child

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle PHOTO: @misanharriman

 

Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle are expecting their second child, the couple revealed in a Valentine’s Day announcement, the first senior royal due to be born outside Britain in 100 years.

The couple released a black and white image of themselves under a tree, all smiles, with Markle holding her baby bump.

“We can confirm that Archie is going to be a big brother,” the spokesman said, referring to the couple’s son. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their second child.”

Meghan and Harry, who is Queen Elizabeth II’s grandson, quit frontline royal duties in March last year and now live in California.

READ ALSO: Meghan Markle Wins Privacy Claim Against UK News Group

The baby will be “something of a first” for the immediate royal family because it will have US and British citizenship and is likely to be the first to be born outside of Britain since Prince Philip 100 years ago.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “Her Majesty, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales, and the entire family are delighted and wish them well.”

The photograph was taken by friend of the couple Misan Harriman. In a tweet addressed to Meghan, she said: “Meg, I was there at your wedding to witness this love story begin, and my friend, I am honoured to capture it grow. Congratulations to The Duke and Duchess of Sussex on this joyous news!”

 

– ‘Build bridges’ –

Royal commentator Victoria Murphy told AFP that the baby’s dual nationality would be “something of a first” for a senior royal, although the new arrival is not destined to become a member of the inner circle given the parents’ controversial decision to step back from frontline duties.

“I think this royal baby might not see some of his or her royal relatives for several months,” she added.

Robert Jobson, the royal editor at London’s Evening Standard, said he hoped the pregnancy would allow Meghan and Harry to “build bridges” after “a lot of negativity”.

Their departure last year — dubbed “Megxit” by the British press — was a far cry from 2018, when they married in a fairytale wedding at Windsor Castle watched around the world.

They left amid acrimony and a reported rift with Harry’s brother Prince William, who is second in line to the throne.

Since leaving, they have launched several legal cases against news outlets alleging invasion of privacy — including one that ended on Thursday with a victory against Associated Newspapers in the UK.

Pressure from tabloids has dogged Harry throughout his life, and he blames them for the death of his mother Princess Diana.

Despite the strained relationship, the tabloid press mostly welcomed the news on Monday with the Daily Mail carrying the headline “MEGnificent” and The Sun celebrating “Sussexes’ Valentine’s Day joy” on its front page.

But the Daily Star splashed “Publicity-shy woman tells 7.67bn people: ‘I’m pregnant'” on its cover, taking aim at the couple’s demands for privacy despite launching a range of commercial ventures.

 

– Multi-million dollar contracts –

Last year the pair launched a wide-ranging non-profit organisation, Archewell, after giving up their “Sussex Royal” brand as part of the terms of their departure from frontline monarchy duties.

They have started other creative ventures, including signing a deal with Spotify to produce podcasts that tell “uplifting and entertaining stories”.

The couple also signed a multi-year contract, reportedly worth tens of millions of dollars, with streaming giant Netflix to produce “impactful” films and series.

As well complaining about invasion of her privacy, Markle, a former television actress, has also described past trolling of her as “almost unsurvivable”.

AFP

Britain’s Prince Harry Presents New Colour To Raf Regiment

Britain’s Prince Harry presented a new Colour to the Royal Air Force Regiment on Thursday, on behalf of the Queen.

This year is the RAF Regiment’s 75th Anniversary year. The regiment was founded in 1942 to provide defence to RAF airfields.

Earlier the fifth in line to the British throne presented The Firmin Peace Sword of Peace, an award given to British armed forces, to the RAF Police and chatted with RAF Police personnel.