Bomb disposal experts have defused a Second World War shell found during building work at Brussels’ international airport, officials said on Saturday.
The shell was discovered during excavation work on part of the apron located “at a safe distance” from the terminal buildings, the airport said in a statement, meaning there was no danger to passengers and no disruption to flights.
Construction work was halted and a 100-metre (yards) safety perimeter put in place when the shell was found, the airport said.
Belgium’s military bomb disposal squad, known by the acronym DOVO, was called in to neutralise the device overnight.
“DOVO was able to dismantle the shell without having to detonate it. Brussels Airport wishes to thank DOVO and all services and partners involved for the good collaboration,” it said.
Millions of shells and other munitions fell in Belgium during the First and Second World Wars and DOVO is regularly called out to deal with unexploded ordnance.
Belgian Police briefly used water cannon to control several hundred rowdy protesters in central Brussels on Sunday after they ignored an official call for marches to be postponed following Tuesday’s bombings.
They invaded the Place de la Bourse as people paid tribute at a makeshift memorial for victims of last Tuesday’s deadly attacks.
Riot police intervened to try to restore order after the group confronted Muslim women in the crowds, made Nazi salutes and chanted.
The attacks at Brussels Airport and on the metro killed 28 people.
Amid fears of further attacks, officials wanted to give police the scope to focus on investigations which have widened to other countries, leading to the arrest of an Algerian in Italy and intelligence cooperation with Germany. Police carried out 13 new raids in Belgium itself.
Most of the protests were peaceful but white-helmeted riot police used the water cannon against a group of protesters, many of whom local media described as right-wing nationalists, who burst onto the square chanting and carrying banners denouncing Islamic State.
“It is highly inappropriate that protesters have disrupted the peaceful reflection at the Bourse (stock exchange). I strongly condemn these disturbances,” Prime Minister, Charles Michel said.
The death toll in explosions that tore through the departure hall of Brussels airport on Tuesday morning has been put at 30.
The recent figures were confirmed by authorities which said 230 persons were also injured.
An hour after the explosions, a second blast struck a metro station in the capital, the Belgian public broadcaster RTBF said.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The attacks came four days after Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the Paris attacks, was captured in Brussels.
The Belgian government has confirmed casualties at the airport but has given no numbers. The cause of the explosions is unknown.
Belgium has now raised its terror threat to its highest level.
The Belga agency said shots were fired and there were shouts in Arabic shortly before the blasts at the airport.
Pictures on social media showed smoke rising from the terminal building through shattered windows and passengers running away down a slipway, some still hauling their bags.
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said on his twitter feed: “We are following the situation minute by minute. Our priority concern is for the victims and those present in the airport.”
Brussels airport said it had canceled all flights and the complex had been evacuated and trains to the airport had been stopped. Passengers were taken to coaches from the terminal that would remove them to a secure area.
Video showed devastation inside the departure hall with ceiling tiles and glass scattered across the floor.
RTBF said the metro station hit by the explosion was close to European Union institutions. Authorities closed all metro stations in Brussels, but there were no details immediately available of any casualties in this second incident of the day.