Carlo Ancelotti has tested positive for Covid-19, Real Madrid announced on Wednesday, with the Italian likely to miss his team’s La Liga game against Celta Vigo on Saturday.
The 62-year-old’s symptoms are “very light”, a Real Madrid source confirmed, with the club confident Ancelotti will be able to return in time for next week’s Champions League quarter-final first leg against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.
Ancelotti will return as soon as he stops showing symptoms. He was isolated at home on Wednesday to reduce the risk of further infections at the club, even though protocol in Spain no longer requires people who test positive to self-isolate.
Ancelotti is more likely to miss this weekend’s league match against Celta Vigo, with his son and assistant Davide ready to step in on the sideline.
Real Madrid’s trip to Vigo has taken on added importance ahead of the crunch game against Chelsea, after Madrid’s drubbing at the hands of Barcelona before the international break.
Anything other than a win would offer fresh hope to Sevilla and Barca in the Spanish title race, although Madrid have a nine-point lead at the top of the table
“Bale is back now after a long time, Hazard has been fine for a month and he is physically fit.
“I don’t have to give advice to Hazard. He has the character and experience to decide himself and by the way, the quality that both of them have could help us a lot.
“Only the first half of the season has gone. They have not had the opportunity to help the team due to the injuries they’ve had. Hopefully the second half of the season will be better.”
Hazard has been hampered by a string of injuries since he joined from Chelsea for 100 million euros ($113 million) in 2019.
Asked whether he had spoken to the 31-year-old about his future, Ancelotti said: “No, at the moment he is still a Real Madrid player. He is training, he is focused on the games, we have nothing else to think about.
“Nothing has happened, there is just competition in the team, and every game I have to choose the best team.”
Thibaut Courtois will miss the trip to Elche because of a private matter but Ancelotti expects the Belgian to be back when Madrid face the same opposition at home in the league on Sunday.
Carlo Ancelotti will return to Real Madrid as coach for the next three seasons, the Spanish club said Tuesday following last week’s resignation of Zinedine Zidane.
The 61-year-old Italian, who won the Champions League for Real Madrid during his first spell at the club between 2013 and 2015, will sign his new deal and be presented to the media on Wednesday, the club said in a statement.
Ancelotti joined Everton in December 2019 and thanked the English club ands its fans “for the tremendous support they have all given me”.
“While I have enjoyed being at Everton I have been presented with an unexpected opportunity which I believe is the right move for me and my family at this time,” he added in a statement published on Everton’s website.
The English club said it would “begin the process of appointing a new manager immediately and will provide updates in due course.”
Real won the Champions League three times under Zidane but ended the 2020-21 campaign without a trophy having finished second in La Liga behind city rivals Atletico Madrid.
The Spanish giants also lost to eventual winners Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals.
It was the first time that the 13-time European champions had failed to win a trophy in 11 seasons.
James Rodriguez guided Everton to the top of the Premier League by scoring twice in a 4-2 win over Brighton on Saturday.
Carlo Ancelotti’s men will now head into the Merseyside derby against Liverpool after the international break with maximum points from their first four games.
The Toffees also have the Premier League’s form striker in their armoury as Dominic Calvert-Lewin opened the scoring by heading home his ninth goal of the season to celebrate his first ever call-up to the England squad.
Jordan Pickford remains England’s number one at the other end, but the Everton goalkeeper’s howler let Brighton back into the game as he dropped Leandro Trossard’s weak effort right at the feet of Neal Maupay, who turned home an equaliser.
The home side quickly responded to retake the lead before half-time as James’s free-kick was headed home by Colombian international teammate Yerry Mina.
The former Real Madrid midfielder then took centre-stage after the break as he swept home Alex Iwobi’s low cross before tapping into an empty net on his weaker right foot 20 minutes from time.
Yves Bissouma pulled a late goal back but it was too little, too late for Graham Potter’s men.
Everton’s victory leaves Manchester City already nine points off the top of the table, but Pep Guardiola will be hoping to bounce back from last weekend’s embarrassing 5-2 home defeat to Leicester against one of his mentors, Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa, later on Saturday.
Carlo Ancelotti claimed on Friday he would score goals playing up front for Everton with James Rodriguez behind him and wants forwards Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison to hit at least 20 each this season.
James has made an instant impact since joining from Real Madrid as the Toffees have won their opening two Premier League games of the season for the first time in seven years.
Ancelotti previously worked with the Colombia midfielder in the Spanish capital and at Bayern Munich and while he will not hold his front two to the standards of Cristiano Ronaldo, he believes they must improve on their goal return during his first season in charge.
“I think James Rodriguez is going to help the strikers because he is a fantastic assist man,” said Ancelotti.
“The target for Dominic is I hope he can reach 20 goals because he has the quality and ability, like Richarlison.
“With James at the time in Madrid, Ronaldo scored 56 goals: I am not honestly going to ask Dominic to score 56 goals but he has to try to do his best.”
Calvert-Lewin already has four to his name after scoring his first career hat-trick in a 5-2 win over West Brom last weekend, while Richarlison opened his account for the season with a double in another 5-2 victory over Fleetwood in the League Cup on Wednesday.
“I think if they do not score at least 20 goals each they can have a problem with me,” added Ancelotti.
“I said to them ‘You have to score at least 20 goals each’ and I hope Moise (Kean) also, he has the possibility. He has played two games and scored two goals.
“If I play as a striker and I have behind me James, (Gylfi) Sigurdsson, (Andre) Gomes I can score goals and so they have to.”
At the other end of the field, England number one Jordan Pickford is under the spotlight as he was at fault for both Fleetwood’s goals in midweek.
However, Ancelotti said he is not considering buying a new goalkeeper or dropping Pickford.
“There is a lot of focus on him but, I have to be honest, he started really well and did a fantastic match against Tottenham. I am not really focused on him, like you (the media),” he added.
“He is a great goalkeeper. He has my total confidence
Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti has set his players the minimum target of qualifying for Europe this season after they finished a lowly 12th in the Premier League in his first season in charge.
The Italian, a three-time Champions League winner, enjoyed a bright start to his reign after his appointment in December but their form fell away and they finished in their lowest position since 2004.
That was a disappointment for Ancelotti, who harboured hopes of sneaking into the European places despite taking over a team in a relegation battle.
“I think that the goal we want to achieve is to fight for the first positions of the Premier League to be able to reach Europe next season,” he said.
“The goal is quite clear. We have this desire, this ambition. I think we can.”
Ancelotti has strengthened his midfield with the signings of Napoli’s Brazil international Allan, Watford’s Abdoulaye Doucoure and high-profile Colombia playmaker James Rodriguez.
He still needs more cover at centre-back as Yerry Mina has been hampered by niggling injuries, while there are question marks over whether he has enough firepower with Richarlison, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Moise Kean.
But Ancelotti is satisfied with the club’s transfer activity so far, with all three new signings set to be given their debuts at Tottenham on Sunday.
“I think that we are happy to have these players,” he said. “The club did a fantastic job because these players — James, Doucoure and Allan — were the priority for us.
“We were able to sign them and so we’re really happy, I think the club did a fantastic job.
“Now we are working to have a good season. We would like to be competitive in all the competitions and I think with these players the squad has improved and I think we are going to compete.
“The market is going to be closed on October 5. If there is some opportunity I think we can look for this (more signings), but honestly I am satisfied with the squad in this moment.”
Veteran Italian manager Ancelotti was as unhappy as the home crowd on Merseyside, with the Toffees boss sent off after approaching referee Chris Kavanagh on the field.
The draw saw fifth-placed United miss the chance to cut the gap to Chelsea in fourth to a single point in the Premier League table as Everton stayed in 11th position.
Anthony Martial returned to the United line-up in one of five changes to the side made by manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer following the Europa League victory over Club Brugge in midweek.
Ancelotti made five changes as well, with Andre Gomes starting in midfield for the first time since early November following a severe ankle injury.
It took Everton just three minutes to break the deadlock with a bizarre goal that delighted the Goodison Park faithful.
There seemed little danger as De Gea dwelt on a clearance.
But his eventual kick downfield was blocked by the charging Calvert-Lewin, with the rebound flying into the unguarded United net.
De Gea did make amends in part by denying Calvert-Lewin a second goal by tipping a shot wide while, at the other end of the pitch, Nemanja Matic hit the crossbar as United sought an equaliser.
Another goalkeeping error helped United draw level in the 31st minute when England number one Pickford, with national manager Gareth Southgate watching from the stands, failed to cover Bruno Fernandes’ speculative, if well-struck, effort from long range.
Everton midfielder Sigurdsson went close to making it 2-1 to the Toffees early in the second half.
United’s Victor Lindelof carelessly gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box and Sigurdsson saw his curling strike come back off the post, with Richarlison unable to get the rebound on target as he followed up.
Pickford, as De Gea had done earlier in the game, then atoned for a costly mistake to keep his side in the match.
In the closing moments of normal time, he blocked Fernandes’ initial shot and then acrobatically dashed across his goal to keep out Odion Ighalo’s follow-up.
Manchester City will provide a test to see how genuine Everton’s revival is, Carlo Ancelotti said on Tuesday, despite the Premier League champions’ shaky campaign.
Everton coach Ancelotti, 60, has guided Everton to two wins in his first two matches in charge since replacing Marco Silva, who was sacked in early December after they slipped into the bottom three.
However, Ancelotti — one of only three managers to have won the Champions League three times — says City will provide a more realistic barometer on where Everton stand despite the welcome wins over Burnley and Newcastle.
“Against City this is a fantastic test to see where we are at,” Ancelotti said at his pre-match press conference.
“They are a really strong team but we can have confidence to do our best.
“I think at this moment it is good to have this kind of test.”
Ancelotti, who in his previous stint in England won the domestic double with Chelsea in the 2009/10 campaign, said City remained a formidable opponent even if their defence of the league title has gone awry and trail leaders Liverpool by 14 points.
“Maybe City aren’t at the same level as last year but they still remain a fantastic team with fantastic players and a fantastic manager,” he said.
“It will be really tough to compete with them, but we need to have the confidence to compete and to be focused on our football.
“We don’t have to look too much to the opponent because they are really strong so it’s better to be focused on our idea of football.”
Ancelotti, a two-time European Cup winner as a player with the outstanding AC Milan side of the late 1980’s and early 90’s, heaped praise on City manager Pep Guardiola, who he replaced as Bayern Munich manager when the Spaniard left to take over City in 2016.
“Pep is a fantastic manager,” said Ancelotti.
“We’ve met some times, not a lot in games, but I have a really good relationship (with him) and a lot of respect for him.
“He is a genius; he’s always tried to do something special on the pitch.”
Carlo Ancelotti has set his sights on taking Everton back into European competition after the Italian was appointed manager of “one of the greatest clubs in England”.
Saturday saw the Merseyside team announce that Ancelotti had become their new permanent manager on a four-and-a-half year contract.
The 60-year-old then watched from the stands at Goodison Park as Everton played out a goalless draw with Arsenal, who have appointed former Toffees favourite Mikel Arteta as their new manager.
“I’m excited to be here at one of the greatest clubs in England,” Ancelotti told the club’s in-house TV channel in his first interview since his appointment.
The draw with Arsenal left Everton 15th in the Premier League and just four points above the relegation zone.
Nevertheless Ancelotti, a three-time Champions League winning coach who was sacked by Napoli this month, said Everton should aim high.
“The ambition is for us to try to win and be competitive,” he added.
“The goal is there to reach the Champions League or Europa League. Winning honours has to be the dream for this club and for the supporters. I am here to try to do this.”
Ancelotti guided Chelsea to a league and FA Cup double in 2010 in his first spell in England.
“Our goal is to be competitive in the Premier League, to be towards the top of the table, to be competitive in Europe,” he said.
“It’s not going to happen straight away, but we have to work for this.
“To Evertonians I would like to say, stay with the team as you always do because it’s really important for the players to have your support.
“I would like to work together with the supporters. My dream is to bring success to this club.”
Ferguson to stay at club
Meanwhile Everton chairman Bill Kenwright congratulated the club’s majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, for bringing in a manager of Ancelotti’s standing.
The Italian’s trophy-laden CV includes stints at a clutch of Europe’s top clubs, including Juventus, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
“I have to take my hat off to Farhad,” said Kenwright.
“We interviewed a lot of people and Farhad was pushing for a world-class manager.
“He wants this team to be where he’s wanted it to be for three-and-a-half years. He wants this club to be winning trophies.”
Caretaker manager Duncan Ferguson will remain on Ancelotti’s staff.
The former Everton striker oversaw a win over Chelsea, draws with Manchester United and Arsenal and a League Cup loss on penalties to Leicester in his four-game spell at the helm following the sacking of Marco Silva.
Ancelotti’s first game in charge of Everton is set to be the Boxing Day clash at home to Burnley.
Carlo Ancelotti and Mikel Arteta were shown the huge jobs that lie ahead as Everton and Arsenal managers respectively as they watched their new sides play out a drab 0-0 draw at Goodison Park on Saturday.
Ancelotti was confirmed as the Toffees new boss on the morning of the match, 24 hours after Arteta took charge of Arsenal.
Both new managers were in the stands with Duncan Ferguson and Freddie Ljungberg in temporary charge for the final time.
And the lack of confidence of two sides struggling at the wrong end of the table was obvious in a match completely devoid of quality.
A point edges Arsenal into ninth, but the Gunners have now won just once in their last 13 games in all competitions.
Everton move up to 15th, but are only four points clear of the relegation zone.
Ferguson’s role in Everton’s impressive victory over Chelsea and draw at Manchester United in their last two league games was enough to ensure the temperamental Scot a role in Ancelotti’s backroom staff.
However, there was a dramatic dip in his side’s energy levels as they looked jaded after a League Cup quarter-final defeat on penalties to Leicester in midweek.
Ljungberg named a youthful Arsenal side with 19-year-old Emile Smith Rowe starting for the first time in the Premier League alongside Reiss Nelson and teenagers Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka.
Mesut Ozil, Alexandre Lacazette and Nicolas Pepe were among those left out by the Swede, who won just one of his six matches in caretaker charge.
Martinelli had the best chance of a first half that ended without a single shot on target from either side when he sliced wide from Lucas Torreira’s fine through ball.
– Substituting a substitute –
Arsenal were the better side after the break as they finally got top scorer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang into the game.
The Gunners’ captain was denied by a fine save from Jordan Pickford as he pounced on Callum Chambers’s flick on from a corner. Then Aubameyang fired too close to the England number one with his next effort.
Ljungberg’s final decision of his caretaker spell was a brave one as he replaced Aubameyang 13 minutes from time as Lacazette was finally called on from the bench.
However, the focus was again snatched by Ferguson’s substitutions as for the second straight week he replaced a substitute.
Moise Kean was the victim of his impatience at Old Trafford last weekend as the Italian international was hooked after just 18 minutes.
This time it was Kean who was introduced for Cenk Tosun, who had come on early in the game for the injured Alex Iwobi.
But Kean could not make himself a hero by scoring his first Everton goal as Arsenal held out for a first clean sheet in 15 games.
Former Bayern Munich and Chelsea Manager, Carlo Ancelotti is set to join English Premier League outfit, Everton.
According to Sky Sports, Ancelotti is expected to be confirmed as Everton’s new permanent manager on Thursday or Friday.
If confirmed, his first game in charge will be against Arsenal who potentially will also have a new boss in Mikel Arteta.
Ancelotti, 60, was immediately linked with Everton after he was sacked as Napoli manager last week.
During a stint in England between 2009 until 2011 with Chelsea, Ancelotti won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Community Shield. He has also lifted three Champions League trophies over the course of his managerial career.