Brazil League Announces August 9 Start Despite Opposition

Handout picture released by the Communication Department of Botafogo showing a man disinfecting the tunnel of the Nilton Santos stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on June 28, 2020, minutes before the start of the 2020 Carioca Championship match between Botafogo and Cabofriense which will be played behind closed-doors amid the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic.  Vitor SILVA / Botafogo / AFP.

 

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) has set August 9 as the date for the resumption of the national championship, drawing opposition from regional authorities in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

It said on Monday the 20-team second division would resume the day before.

Only one state championship, in Rio de Janeiro, has so far resumed, and that has been beset by controversy as the death toll in Brazil, the second highest in the world, has passed 65,000.

The governor of Sao Paulo, Joao Doria, told a press conference on Monday that teams from the state would not participate in the national tournament until they have finished their regional championship, which has been frozen, with three rounds to play, since mid-March due to the pandemic.

“Regarding the CBF’s decision to resume on (August) 9, the government of the state of Sao Paulo was not consulted beforehand,” Doria said.

The CBF responded with a statement on its website saying that 19 of the 20 clubs, including all those from Sao Paulo, had voted to play and that the Sao Paulo clubs had “reaffirmed their position in contact with the CBF” on Monday. It said teams would play home games outside their states if necessary.

The Paulista championship is Brazil’s most important state league, comprising five teams — Bragantino, Corinthians, Palmeiras, Santos and Sao Paulo — in the national first division and four in the second tier.

AFP

Romario To Run For Brazilian Football Confederation Chief

Romario. 

Former Brazil soccer striker and 1994 World Cup champion Romario said on Tuesday he plans to run for president of the scandal-plagued Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) on an anti-corruption platform.

Romario, 51, now a senator who has led congressional investigations into corruption in Brazilian soccer, announced his intentions four days after CBF President Marco Polo del Nero was suspended for 90 days by soccer world body FIFA.

Del Nero is being investigated in Brazil for alleged unethical conduct. He and his two predecessors, Ricardo Teixeira and José Maria Marin, have been charged in the United States in the biggest corruption scandal in soccer’s history.

Romario said on Instagram that no one had fought more vigorously against “that gang” than him, adding that he had the right qualifications for the job.

Romario called for the prosecution of Marin, Teixeira and del Nero at the end of a congressional inquiry he led last year into corruption in Brazilian soccer.

Romario helped Brazil win a record fourth World Cup title in 1994 in the United States.

His popularity won him a seat as a congressman and then senator for his home state of Rio de Janeiro. He has said he plans to run for governor of Rio to reform the financially bankrupt state.

Reuters

Nigeria, Brazil Confirm Friendly Match Date

BrazilThe Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Confederacao Brasileira de Futebol (CBF) have confirmed that their U-23 squads will play an international friendly match in Brazil on Thursday, March 24.

“The CBF is happy to host the champions of Africa, Nigeria Olympic team on the March 24 FIFA date at 7pm at the stadium of Kleber Andrade in the city of Cariacica, Vitoria, Espirito Santo.

“The match will serve as preparation for both teams for their participation in the Olympic Games Rio 2016,” the statement from CBF read.

NFF’s FIFA Match Agent, Jairo Pachon of Eurodata Sport told thenff.com: “The match is sealed. We are happy to be able to swing this one and it will serve as good preparation for the Nigeria Olympic team ahead of Rio 2016.”

Both teams were involved in one of the most memorable matches in the history of the men’s football tournament of the Olympics, back in 1996, when the Dream Team came back from 1-3 down to eliminate Brazil in the semi finals. Nigeria beat Argentina 3-2 in the final to claim Africa’s first–ever Olympics football gold.

Meanwhile, Coach Samson Siasia, has listed a total of 30 players for the international friendly match against Brazil coming up towards the end of March.

The list is a mixture of old players that Siasia has worked with over the course of the qualifying matches for the All-Africa Games and the Games proper and the qualifying matches for the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations and the championship proper, as well as new faces he intends to take a close look at.

According to Coach Siasia: “For now, I want to assume that I don’t have a team, as every Nigerian player within the age bracket that is good get a chance to fight for a place in my team to the Olympics. I intend to use friendly games like this to try out as many players as I can, so that as we get closer to the games I will have a mental picture of the players I will be taking for my final training camp before the Games.

“For now, I invited this large number of players because I know not all of them will be able to make it even though we have sent out invitation letters to all of them. My major concern now is for them to come with letters from their clubs indicating that if they are eventually selected for the Games, their clubs will allow them report to camp when needed.”

Siasia added that as a lot of overseas-based players have shown interest in playing for the country at the Olympics, he intends to utilize all FIFA free windows so as to enable him and his assistants assess as many of them as possible.

“For now, we are concentrating on those players we have no picture of how they will adapt to our playing pattern.‎ We intend to invite more of such players as we go ahead. We already know some of the overseas –based pros we intend to work with, so we will be inviting those known faces as we progress in our build up to the Games.”

Among those invited from the domestic scene are goalkeepers Emmanuel Daniel and Yusuf Mohammed and defenders Erhun Obanor, Sincere Seth, Segun Oduduwa and Ndifreke Effiong. The overseas-based legion includes Captain Azubuike Okechukwu, Dele Alampasu, Stanley Amuzie, Saviour Godwin, Aminu Umar and Etebo Oghenekaro.

Invited Home Based Players

  1. Emmanuel Daniel
  2. Yusuf Mohammed
  3. Segun Oduduwa
  4. Erhun Obanor
  5. Sincere Seth
  6. Ndifreke Effiong
  7. Ubong Ekpai
  8. Bright Onyedikachi
  9. Stanley Dimgba

Overseas Based Players 

  1. Dele Alampasu
  2. Stanley Amuzie
  3. Usman Mohammed
  4. Azubuike Okechukwu
  5. Sadiq Popoola
  6. Etebo Oghenekaro
  7. Saviour Godwin
  8. Aminu Umar
  9. Alex Iwobi
  10. Iyayi Believe
  11. Junior Ajayi
  12. Taiwo Awoniyi
  13. Peter Olayinka
  14. Theophilus ‎ Solomon
  15. Godswill Ekpolo
  16. Sergio Uyi
  17. Ovbokha Agboyi
  18. Nathan Oduwa
  19. Musa Mohammed
  20. Saturday Ekiego
  21. Victor Osimhen

Coach Samson Siasia has been appointed to lead the Super Eagles. Fatai Amao will guide the U-23 in the interim.

 

Brazil Appoints Dunga As New Coach

dungaBrazil has named former player, Dunga as their new coach for the second time in four years.

Dunga, who captained Brazil’s 1994 World Cup-winning team and coached the national team from 2006 to 2010, was appointed on Tuesday, two weeks after the 2014 FIFA World Cup host was hammered 7-1 by eventual winner, Germany in the semi-finals which led to the resignation of former coach, Luiz Felipe Scolari.

The former Selecao defensive midfielder, who also captained the team when they lost in the final match of the 1998 FIFA World Cup to then host, France, was in charge at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa when Brazil were knocked out in the quarter-finals.

Dunga, who managed Brazilian club Internacional in 2013, had a fairly successful spell in charge of the Selecao in his first attempt as an international coach, leading Brazil to 42 victories in his 60 games in charge, losing just six.

Under his leadership, Brazil won the 2007 Copa America and the 2009 Confederations Cup, but was fired after he could only manage a quarter-final spot in the 2010 World Cup, losing to eventual finalists the Netherlands.

Dunga’s re-appointment sparks a remarkable turn of heart by the Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) after the former midfielder was wildly criticised for the Selecao’s displays four years ago.

Scolari, who guided Brazil to World Cup victory in 2002, and his entire backroom staff have all left their posts since the tournament finished.

 

Brazil FA Boss Says Scolari Deserves Respect

ScolariThe Confederation of Brazil Football’s President, Jose Maria, have said that Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari deserves respect after he resigned as coach of  A Seleção.

Scolari’s contract ended after the World Cup and he had said that he would let the CBF decide his fate after Brazil were beaten 3-0 by Netherlands on Saturday in the third-place play-off.

The Dutch defeat followed Brazil’s 7-1 humiliation by Germany in the semi-finals, the worst result in their World Cup history, and the first time they had lost a competitive match at home since 1975.

Scolari’s departure was announced following a meeting with CBF President, Jose Maria Marin, when it was decided that the former Portugal coach’s contract would not be renewed.

Jose Maria said “Scolari and his entire coaching staff deserve our respect and gratitude. They were responsible for returning to the Brazilian people your love for the team, despite not having achieved our greatest goal.”

The CBF in a statement said that the one-time Chelsea Manager chose to give up his position after the disappointment of not winning the World Cup on home soil.

“Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari and his fellow coaching staff surrendered their positions to the board of the Brazilian Football Confederation.

“The resignation was accepted by President Marin, who was keen to thank all the coaches and players and, by extension, the Brazilian fans for their support throughout the World Cup campaign.”

Scolari first took over the Brazil side in 2001 and guided them to World Cup success a year later, beating Germany 2-0 in the 2002 final in Yokohama, Japan.

But after spells in charge of Portugal, Premier League side Chelsea, Bunyodkor of Uzbekistan and Brazilian club Palmeiras, he resumed control of the national team in 2012.

Brazil hosted and won the Confederations Cup in 2013, beating Spain 3-0 in the final, and were favourites to win a sixth World Cup on home soil.

They finished top of their group after two wins and a draw from their three matches, before edging past Chile on penalties in the last 16.

They beat Colombia 2-1 in the quarter-finals, but lost top goalscorer,Neymar to a spine injury and captain Thiago Silva to suspension.

In the semi final, the World Cup host were defeated by Joachim Low’s Germany 7-1 in their heaviest loss ever and they also lost 3-0 to Netherlands in the third place.

Under Scolari, Brazil have won 19, drawn six and lost four of his 29 games in charge.

Vice President Del Nero is scheduled to take over from CBF President, Jose Maria Marin, next year, which could mean a delay in the naming of a successor to Scolari.

In the mean time, Brazil Under-23 coach, Alexandre Gallo, has been suggested as an interim caretaker.

Brazil sacks Mano Menezes as manager

Five-time world champions and 2014 soccer world cup host Brazil; on Friday dealt has given manager Mano Menezes the matching order, therefore ending the relationship between the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) and Menezes.

The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) national squad director Andres Sanches confirmed the news as he said he broke the news to Menezes himself saying, “Nobody likes to receive news of these kinds of things in any circumstances, but everyone in football knows that these things happen.

However, a new coach will be announced come January 2013 as a search has begun for Menezes replacement.

It would be recalled that 50 year old Menezes replaced former Brazilian player Dunga following the team’s elimination in the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup finals.

Menezes has not been able to shake away the under-performance plaguing the Selecao, following the team’s failure at the 2011 Copa America, where they lost in the last-eight to Paraguay, and at the Olympic Games in London this summer where they finished runners-up and ever since then his job has been on the line since Brazil’s humiliating 2-1 loss to underdogs Mexico at Wembley in August.

Menezes who was axed after a meeting with the CBF president Jose Maria Marin has garnered 20 wins in his time at the helm, six draws and five defeats talking record.

Media speculation has already linked former Selecao boss Luis Felipe Scolari with a return to the hot-seat after he guided Brazil to World Cup glory in 2002.

After the setback at the Olympics, Menezes appealed to Brazil’s football federation chiefs not to be panicked into sacking him.

Menezes said he believed that the Olympic loss could have been used to inspire Brazil to a sixth World Cup on home soil in 2014.

Menezes had previously coached Brazilian club side Gremio from 2005 until 2007, leading the team to the final of the Copa Libertadores where they were defeated by Boca Juniors.

He then took charge of Corinthians with whom he won the 2009 Brazilian Cup.

While Scolari remains the favourite to take over, some reports have linked Corinthians coach Tite and Santos boss Muricy Ramalho with the job.

Ronaldinho exits Flamengo over unpaid wages

Ronaldo de Assis Moreira popularly known as Ronaldinho or Ronaldinho Gaucho has scored a point against his club Flamengo as a Labour court in Brazil gave the Brazilian a nod to terminate his contract with the club.

According to the two-time winner of the FIFA World Player of the Year, the reason for suing Flamengo was because the club has not been able to meet up with the payment of his wages as he is being owed four months unpaid wages, the judge however acceded to the player’s request on this ground.

Ronadlinho’s advisors have started plotting new means of getting the unpaid wages from the Brazilian club after he got a go-ahead to leave the club.

Having pulled out of an agreement concerning his wages, Flamengo is now left to foot the bill for his €500,000 a month wages. An obligation they have been unable to meet.

Arguments between the club and the former Barcelona star over the exhibition of non-professional behaviour went sour after his wages were not paid.

Ronaldinho generated more headlines for missing training and for his social activities which led to his failing to have the desired impact at Flamengo, showing his quality in flashes and above all not being mentioned in the Selecao regular, a chance he used to enjoy for his quality display of football on field.