Reps Open Investigation Into DSS Arrest Of Judges

House of Representatives in Nigeria kick against removal of JegaThe Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) on Wednesday appeared before a House of Representative committee to brief it on the raid and arrest of some judges by operatives of the Department of State Services.

Responding to questions on the issue, the Chairman of the CCB said the State Security Service (SSS) had the power to arrest, investigate and prosecute corruption cases in Nigeria.

He told the ad-hoc committee of the House of Representatives investigating the arrest of the judges that the operatives were right in arresting the judges on allegation of misconduct and corruption.

The Attorney General of Rivers States, Emmanuel Aguma, who was also at the briefing, however, insisted that the actions of the SSS contravenes the laws of Nigeria

Officials of the State Security Service, had on Saturday, October 8, 2016 raided the homes of some judge and subsequently arrested some of them. After their arrests the security agency said they were fingered for misconduct and corrupt practices.

Only a few of those invited were at the event. the only judge present made a very brief speech while addressing the committee led by Honourable Garba Muhammad.

The hearing, however, got heated when it was the turn of the Chairman of the Code of Conduct Bureau, Mr Sam Saba.

After nerves were calmed, the committee told the gathering that it had received written statements from some of the judges involved in the matter and that it is expecting that the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation will appear before the committee in the course of its sitting.

One of the judges is already facing trial over allegations of corruption.

He has denied the claims, pleading not guilty in court.

CCB Clearance Ends Controversy Over Buratai’s Dubai Asset – Osuagwu

Nigerian ArmyThe whistle-blower, who challenged the ownership of property in Dubai by the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, says the controversy has been put to rest.

This followed an announcement by the Chairman of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB), Mr Sam Saba, on September 29 that General Buratai had been verified and cleared by the commission after a right activist, Mr Ugochukwu Osuagwu, approached the commission on the issue.

Mr Osuagwu said that besides the announcement that the Army Chief had been cleared, the Code of Conduct Bureau also gave copies of the said asset declaration form to him.

He noted that the declaration was an indication that Buratai had not violated any law, stating that he would desist from calling for a proper investigation of the Army Chief.

In early 2016, Nigerians woke up to the news that General Buratai had property in Dubai which he did not declare as a serving public officer.

Pro And Anti Saraki Groups Protest At National Assembly

SarakiSupporters and opponents of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki on Tuesday, stormed the National Assembly as lawmakers resumed legislative proceedings for the week.

One group was protesting against the trial of the Senate President Bukola Saraki at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

They alleged that President Buhari is witch-hunting the Senate President because he emerged Senate President against the wishes of the party.

However, another group of protesters demanded that the Senate President steps down over allegations of false declaration of assets.

Both groups, armed with placards bearing varying messages marched to the National Assembly demanding that their voices be heard.

The protesters were, however, not allowed to proceed beyond the main gate of the National Assembly.

the protesters have vowed that they will lay siege to the National Assembly for the next three days.

Reacting to the protests, Senate Leader, Ali Ndume described the anti-Saraki protest as a dangerous precedent.

 

 

Saraki Withdraws Suit Seeking End To His CCT Trial

sarakiNigeria’s Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki, has withdrawn a motion on notice filed at the appellate court, praying the court to stop his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, pending the determination of his appeal.

Withdrawing the motion on Monday, lead counsel to Saraki, Mr Kanu Agabi, did not give any reason for the decision.

Although the motion was slated for hearing, Mr Agabi, however, stunned the court when he announced that he was withdrawing the motion.

He, however, apologised to the court for making it study the voluminous processes he filed on behalf of his client.

Justice Abdul Aboki, who presided over the three-man panel, struck out the motion.

However, the main appeal still remains even though no date has been fixed for its hearing.

Justice Aboki said the next adjourned date would be communicated to parties in the suit as soon as all court processes had been filed and exchanged by the parties.

In the main appeal the Senate President is still challenging his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), but on the ground that due process was not followed before the 13-count charge was proffered on him.

He also contended that he was not invited by the Code of Conduct Bureau to make statement on the alleged discrepancies in his asset declaration forms, as required by law, before his arraignment.

The Senate President is facing trial at the CCT on allegations of false asset declaration tied to the period he was the Governor of Kwara State.

Case Against Orubebe Not Withdrawn – CCT

OrubebeThe Code of Conduct Tribunal has debunked recent publications from some section of mass media, indicating that the Federal Government has withdrawn charges against former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Godsday Peter Orubebe.

This is according to a statement by the CCT Head of Press and Public Relations, Ibraheem Al-hassan.

The Tribunal said that it was compelled to refute the said publications, particularly those contained in some major newspapers and online media because the purported withdrawal of the case was quoted to be based on the case being fundamentally defective.

The CCT said, “To the best of our knowledge based on available records, as at the time of this report, the information is misleading, distortive and as such it should be ignored.

“The case of Mr Godsday Peter Orubebe before CCT in Charge NO: CCT/ABJ/02/15 is on-going.

“What transpired in court in the last session held on 8th March, 2016 was a substitution of the initial charge with a newly filed charge by the prosecution, of which leave was sought from, and granted by the Tribunal. The case had been adjourned to 7th April, 2016. Thus; there is no withdrawal of the case by the prosecution.”

Mr Orubebe has been arraigned before the Code of Conduct Tribunal on four counts of false assets declaration and bribery.

Mr Orubebe was charged by the Code of Conduct Bureau for alleged failure to declare landed property in Kyamu and Asokoro district, both in Abuja, on assumption of office as minister on September 26, 2007.

In the other counts, Mr Orubebe is also facing charges of allegedly accepting bribes totalling 70 million Naira from one Pastor Jonathan Alota for the award of contracts in favour of his company.

The name, Orubebe, became well known in Nigeria after he attempted to stop the 2015 election collation, accusing the electoral body and its boss at that time, Professor Attahiru Jega, of being bias.

Tribunal Threatens To Strike Out 70m Naira Bribery Charges Against Orubebe

Godsday-OrubebeThe chairman of the Code of Conduct Bureau, Mr Danladi Umar, is threatening to strike out the charges of bribery and false declaration of assets preferred against former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Godsday Orubebe.

‎Mr Umar made the threat in Abuja on Wednesday after the prosecution failed for the third time on Wednesday to open its case against Mr Orubebe and call its witnesses.

The Tribunal Chairman, however refused to accede to the request by the defence counsel, Mr‎ Selekowei Larry, to strike out the case.

Instead, he announced that the prosecution would be given one more chance to open its case failing which the Tribunal will strike out the case for them to put their house in order.

The name, Orubebe, became well known in Nigeria after he attempted to scuttle the 2015 election, accusing the electoral body and its boss at that time, Professor Attahiru Jega, of being bais.