Governor Ahmed Presents Kwara 2017 Budget

Governor Ahmed Presents Kwara 2017 Budget The Kwara state Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmed, has presented a budget estimate of over 135.3 billion Naira before the state House of Assembly for the 2017 fiscal year.

Laying the budget tagged: ‘budget of introspection and sustenance’, is an increase of 29 billion Naira of the revised 2016 appropriation law.

Out of the estimate, over seven billion Naira is earmarked for capital expenditure while 57 billion, is for recurrent expenditure estimate.

Giving the sectorial analysis of the budget, economic affairs was allotted the highest vote, with an estimate of over 35 billion naira which represents twenty-six per cent of the budget size.

On the other hand, 29 billion, has been earmarked for the education sector, representing 22 per cent of the total budget size.

A sum of 26 billion, was allocated to health, over eight billion Naira for social protection while recreation, culture and religion have over one billion Naira.

The governor said the 2017 budget was anchored on current economic realities and determination to look inwards for sustained prosperity and development.

He reassured the state residents of his administration’s commitment to implementing result-oriented policies and programmes that would boost economic activities, unlock growth and create jobs in the 2017 financial year.

“All on-going capital projects under the general public service sector, will be accorded the highest priority to ensure their completion in 2017 financial year.

“The state government will continue to accord high premium to the well-being of its workers in all ramifications”, the governor said.

Furthermore, he stated that more qualified youths would be engaged to address staff shortage created by voluntary retirement and resignation in coming yea, 2017, while attention would be given to provision of operational vehicles to all MDAs in the 2017 fiscal year.

Human Rights Activist Advocates Modern Interrogation Techniques

Human Rights Activist Advocates Modern Interrogation TechniquesA Yenagoa-based Human Rights Activist, Mr Alagoa Morris, has advised security agencies to avoid the use of torture and adopt more civilized and modern techniques of interrogation.

Alagoa, who spoke during the 2016 World Human Rights Day, themed: “stand up for someone’s rights today”, urged the police and other security agencies to improve on their investigation techniques.

The United Nations had set aside December 10, annually as human rights day in commemoration of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) in 1948.

Alagoa believes that adopting such improved techniques, would help to get voluntary statements from suspects.

“The world is constantly advancing and making progress; we have to move along with our judicial system.

“If we continue to use crude method – torture, we merely portray ourselves as primitive people.

“The work of human rights protection is a collective one, and we call on members of the society to uplift the ideals of human rights for the attainment of an egalitarian society.

“We should live by the golden rule that says: do unto others as you will want to be treated.”

The Human Rights Activist, then called on the police to ensure prosecution of officers and men found guilty of human rights violation or abuse.

He stressed this, while stating the example of the recent case of a policeman who allegedly shot and Killed a fellow policeman in Bayelsa state, over 20, 000 Naira.

The case according to him, was “regrettable”.

Buhari To Present 2017 Budget To National Assembly Next Week

Buhari To Present 2017 Budget To National Assembly Next WeekNigeria’s President, Mohammadu Buhari, will on Wednesday next week, officially present the 2017 federal budget to the National Assembly.

It had been announced earlier on, that the budget would be presented on November 7, 2016.

However, according to a letter to the senate which was read on the floor of the upper legislative chamber by the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, the president would present the document before a joint session of the National Assembly.

The Minister Of Budget And National Planning, Mr Udo Udoma, told newsmen after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting last Wednesday, that the seven trillion Naira proposal was ready, after extensive consultations with different stakeholders.

According to him, the 2017 fiscal document, of which he gave no details, had been well prepared to avoid the pitfalls that characterised the 2016 budget.

“The document that we are presenting to the National assembly is a carefully prepared one,” Udoma said.

He told reporters that over 800 billion Naira had been released so far in the 2016 budget as capital projects with all recurrent expended.

NHRC Warns Politicians, Supporters Against Hate Narratives

NHRCThe National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has warned politicians and their supporters against hate speech in the run up to the elections.

The Chairman of the governing council of the commission, Professor Chidi Odinkalu, gave the warning at the launch of the Pre-election Report and Advisory on Violence in Nigeria’s 2015 general election.

It’s been a series of campaign with accusations especially between the two top political parties in the country, in a bid to woo voters.

On the social media, it has also been a war of words between the supporters of the two major candidates in the 2015 presidential elections.

This scenario, according to the NHRC, poses a danger to the country as the polls approach.

Odinkalu announced that 58 persons had been killed with hundreds of people injured within the last 50 days of election campaigns and many more might follow if things do not change.

He urged politicians, especially the presidential flag bearers, to embark on new narratives and caution their supporters so as to prevent a big crisis during and after the polls.

The commission wants the two main actors in the polls to go beyond signing a peace accord to providing a public service announcement denouncing violence.

They also want the politicians and their supporters to stop the hate message and canvass for votes without heating up the polity.

Jonathan Launches Youth Entrepreneurship Strategy

jonathanThe Goodluck Jonathan administration says it has created more jobs more than any other administration within its short term, as over seven million young Nigerians have been empowered, supported or educated using the YouWin, SURE-P and Agropreneur programmes.

This revelation was made at the conference hall of the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

It was the unveiling of the Youth Entrepreneurship Strategy, designed to aggregate all the programmes in a single window portal for the use of the beneficiaries.

President Goodluck Jonathan, at the launch, said that with the new strategy, his administration would be providing jobs to the tune of 2 million per annum.

He called on Nigerian youths to key in to the entrepreneurship strategy which he said had been designed to turn Nigeria into a different country in the next ten years going by the process.

Taking a break from campaign tours across the country to attend to the needs of Nigerian youths, the President beat his chest that jobs are being provided already and he would like to do more.

Some of the past beneficiaries of the YouWin, SURE-P, Agropreneurs and the graduate internship programmes, who are already employers of labour, also validated the President’s claims as they shared their testimonies.

The CEO of Anabel Group, Nicholas Okoye, who has been part of waging the war against unemployment, reeled out startling statistics of what the Jonathan administration job creation programme had achieved so far.

He also created the portal that would enable more Nigerian youths  benefit from the various programmes.

It is believed that the new portal would eliminate the complains associated with all the job creation programmes.

He enjoined Nigerian youths to join the single window to access all Federal Government empowerment and entrepreneurship programmes.

Family Confirms American Hostage, Kayla Mueller Dead

kaylaThe family of Kayla Mueller, an American woman held captive by the Islamist terror group ISIS, said on Tuesday that it had received confirmation that she is dead.

“We are heartbroken to share that we’ve received confirmation that Kayla Jean Mueller has lost her life,” a statement from the family reads.

“Kayla was a compassionate and devoted humanitarian. She dedicated the whole of her young life to helping those in need of freedom, justice, and peace,” the family said.

Kayla was the last-known American hostage held by Islamic State, which controls wide areas of Syria and Iraq.

On Friday, ISIS claimed that Kayla  had been killed in a building that was hit during a Jordanian airstrike on Raqqa, the militants’ de facto capital in Syria. At the time, ISIS offered no proof to back up its claim, other than an image of a building in rubble.

The group had beheaded three other Americans, two Britons and two Japanese hostages – most of them aid workers or journalists – in recent months.

Kayla was taken hostage while leaving a hospital in the Northern Syrian city of Aleppo in August 2013.

The group’s latest claim, detailed by the site monitoring group, came just days after it released a video on Tuesday showing a captured Jordanian pilot, Mouath al-Kasaesbeh, being burned alive in a cage.