Jonathan Asks Security Chiefs To Fish Out Persons Behind Nyanya Blast

 Goodluck-JonathanPresident Goodluck Jonathan has asked security Chiefs in Nigeria to ensure that those behind Thursday’s bomb blast in Nyanya are arrested and made to face the consequences of their actions.

The blast killed at least 19 persons and injured over 60.

President gave the order during a meeting with the Security Chiefs on Friday in Abuja called to discuss the security situation in the north.

He also set up a fact finding committee comprising security agencies, civil society groups, international organisations and others to get to the roost of the whereabouts of the girls abducted by suspected members of the Boko Haram on April 14 and rescue them.

At the high level security meeting held on Friday, President Jonathan asked the Security Chiefs to increase surveillance and increase investigation into the explosion to ensure that those behind the act were arrested and brought to justice.

In attendance were the chief of defense staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Kenneth Minimah, the Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Usman Jibrin, and the Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Adesola Amosun.

Also at the meeting were the Director-General of the Department of State Security, Mr Ekpenyong Ita and the Minister of Defense, Rtd General Aliyu Gusau.

Shun The Blame Game

While briefing reporters after the meeting held at the Presidential Villa, the Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, said that the committee would help resolve the conflicting reports on the number of girls kidnapped and other issues.

He assured Nigerians that the country would not shut down because of terrorists and also assured those who would attend the World Economic Forum on Africa of safety.

From the Minister’s brief, it was obvious that the meeting centred on three issues, the Thursday’s bomb blast in Nyanya, the state of the abducted Chibok girls, two weeks after their abduction and general insecurity in Nigeria’s north east.

The Minister of Information was joined by the spokesmen for the presidency, police, army, State Security Service to brief reporters.

He assured the international community that measures were being taken to ensure a hitch free World Economic Forum on Africa which will begin on May 7.

The government appealed to politicians and the public to shun the blame game and furnish security organisations with information that would lead to the rescue of the Chibok girls and the suicide bombers, promising that the culprit would be dealt with.

“It is only in doing this that Nigeria will defeat terror,” the Minister said.

Security Agencies Put Number Of Abducted Girls At 276

School-girls-abductedThe Borno State Commissioner of Police (CP), Tanko Lawan and the State Director of the Department of State Security, Ahmed Abdullahi, have confirmed that 276 students of the Government Girls Secondary School Chibok were actually abducted on April 14, by suspected Boko Haram militants.

Both men gave the confirmations at a joint news conference in Maiduguri, the state capital on Friday.

Mr Lawan said: “So far, we have established that no fewer than 276 girls were abducted at the Government Girls Secondary School (GGSS), Chibok on April 14, 2014 by suspected members of the Boko Haram Terrorist Group”.

The CP disclosed that; “out of the 276 abducted students of the school, 53 female students have been rescued; while 223 are still missing; and suspected being held by Boko Haram terrorists in various parts of the state”.

He disclosed that the new collated figures were arrived at after series of investigations by the police, SSS, the Nigerian Army and from information gathered from parents and relatives of the abducted girls, community leaders, officials of the schools as well as local government authorities and the Borno State government.

“It is really difficult to say the actual number of girls that were abducted because; students from other secondary schools within the catchment area were deployed to GGSS Chibok for their final year examinations due to the peculiar security challenges in Borno State,” the state police chief explained.

The students, he revealed, were drawn from schools at Izge, Lassa, Ashigashiya and Warabe, stressing that it is for that reason that there were differences in the numbers of girls abducted by the sect members in earlier reports released after the unfortunate incident,

The commissioner said special telephone numbers had been designated for parents and well-meaning Nigerians to call and give useful information that would lead to the rescue of the girls.

The numbers, according to him, are +2348075897377; +23481777309 and +2348036121490.

The CP also said there were serious collaboration between various security agencies at all levels towards rescuing the girls and urged the people to assist security operatives with useful information that would lead to the rescue of the innocent girls.

NLC Dedicates Workers’ Day To Chibok Girls

ThIssa Aremue Vice President of Nigerian Labour Congress, Issa Aremu, on Thursday said the Union was going to lend its voice for the release of over 200 girls abducted by the Boko Haram sect in Chibok, Borno State on April 16.

“Our heart is with 200 chibok students who have been criminally abducted by unknown forces,” he said, noting that the girls should not be reduced to mere statistics as they are potential workers, nurses, doctors, who have been denied education and freedom.

“We are going to devote today largely to add our voice to the forces of peace, above all women who have come out in their large numbers to demand for the release of these students and compel the government to be on duty to guarantee security,” he said.

Aremu, who was a guest on Sunrise Daily, described the girls as potential workers who had been denied their education and freedom.

Workers under the NLC and TUC would stage rallies in different States including the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as they mark the 2014 Workers’ Day celebration themed “Building Sustainable Peace and Unity for Sustainable National Development.”

Aremu stressed the need for peace and security as workers had become “endangered species” as a result of the nation’s security challenges, which have forced some companies to fold up, reduce working hours and also reduce their work force.

“Our country hitherto known for peace and tranquility is now being known for violence” he said, maintaining that “peace has to be rooted in social service.”

Speaking on the plight of Nigerian workers in recent times, Aremu cited the Nyanya bomb blast; maintaining that the Boko Haram sect targeted workers as most of the victims were workers.

He stressed that “more than ever before, the issue of peace cannot be left alone to the government. We are also committed to that.”

While commending some achievements made by the Congress, Aremu stated that there were other demands being made including job-led growth, decent and well paid jobs with minimum wage guaranteed and the right for collective bargaining, pensionable jobs and a sustainable pension reform.

“We have just rebased the GDP of Nigeria; we are excited that Nigeria is now ahead of South Africa but you also know that this GDP as big as it is (about five billion Naira) it has not translated to real job creation for our people.”

“Labour creates wealth but labour must also be part of sharing this wealth,” he said, noting that “it was time for proper income distribution,” he added.