Olisa Metuh Ready To Return 400 Million Naira

Metuh, Olisa MetuhThe embattled former National Publicity Secretary of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, has restated his readiness to refund the entire N400 million paid to him by ex-President Goodluck Jonathan for publicity prior to the 2015 Presidential election.

Metuh, whose position was made known in a statement by his counsel, Onyechi Ikpeazu said he was willing to refund the entire N400 million regardless of the fact that the money had already been expended on the directive of the former President and that the EFCC had already recovered part of the fund from a prosecution witness.

The counsel confirmed that the defence team had been in talks with the Ministry of Justice, the EFCC and other necessary bodies on how to refund the money and resolve the issue.

Ikpeazu said that it has become obvious from the evidence of prosecution and defence witnesses that at the time the money was released to Metuh after his presentation to the ex-President, he had no knowledge of the source.

He, however, had every cause to believe that the money was from the ex-President to whom he made presentation, received directives and rendered report and accounts accordingly.

Ikpeazu said refunding the entire sum is in line with Metuh’s support for the ongoing war against corruption in the country and that his client is more of a victim of circumstance.

He pledged his client’s support for the anti-corruption war of the federal government.

Court Adjourns Metuh’s Trial Due To Ill Health

MetuhA Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the case against the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Mr Olisa Metuh on the grounds of ill health.

Metuh who is standing trial for allegedly collecting 400 million Naira from the former National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo Dasuki, was absent in court at the resumption of trial.

His lawyer, Mr Oyeachi Ikpeazu, informed the court that his client was on admission at the National Hospital Abuja.

Reacting to the application, counsel to the EFCC, Mr Sylvester Tahir said that he would reluctantly not object to the application, but will leave it to the discretion of the court to decide on what steps to take.

In his ruling, the trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, said that the hearing was adjourned at the instance of the accused person, following a medical report by a consultant neurologist at the National Hospital who ordered a compulsory bed rest for the accused.

He, however, said that the medical report has made it difficult for the court to decide on the time frame of the bed rest because it was not indicated in the report.

Court Fixes May 25 To Decide If Metuh Can Travel

MetuhA Federal High Court in Abuja will on May 25 decide if it will vary the bail conditions handed down to the former National publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Mr Olisa Metuh, to enable him travel for medical treatment abroad.

At the hearing on Monday, Counsel to Mr Metuh, Mr Oyeachi Ikpeazu, made an application, praying the court to release his client’s international passport to enable him travel to the United Kingdom to treat himself of an undisclosed ailment.

Back Ailment

Metuh is asking for five weeks to enable him take care of what he described as a back ailment sustained during his stint at the Kuje Prison.

Metuh’s Counsel while moving the application prayed the court to grant the application, saying it has inherent powers to vary the bail application and grant their request.

Rejecting the application, however, the prosecution counsel, Mr Sylvanus Tahir, said even though the court had jurisdiction to grant the prayers of the defence, the prayers were not properly made.

According to him there was no specific request, asking the court to vary its earlier bail condition and “in the absent of that there is a doubt as to whether the court should make a contrary order”.

He also said that the medical report submitted before the court on behalf of the accused person was not certified, even though it was a public document which emanated from the national hospital.

The trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, after listening to both submissions adjourned to May, 25 to rule on whether or not to grant the application.

Remanded In Kuje Prison

A Federal High Court in Abuja on January 15 has remanded the spokesman of the opposition PDP in prison following his ‘not guilty’ plea to a seven-count charge of corruption and money laundering.

Mr Metuh appeared in court, days after he was arrested by officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for the charges.

According to the charges, the PDP spokesman transferred the sum of $1 million through his agent, Nneka Nicole Ararume, to one Sie Iyenome of Capital Field Investment, committing an offense contrary to Section One of the Money Laundering Act.

He is also accused of receiving the sum of 400 million Naira from the office of the former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki, without a contract contrary to the Money Laundering Act.

APC Registration: PDP Alleges Foul Methods To Cause Violence

The People’s Democratic Party, PDP, said that it has uncovered a plot by the All Progressives Congress, APC, to set the stage to reject the results of the 2015 general elections.

Speaking at the party’s headquarters in Abuja, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Olisah Metuh, alleged that the APC is using its ongoing party registration as a means to hype and give a false impression of massive public followership.

“We wish to alert Nigerians therefore, to the evidence at our disposal to the effect that APC is sadly and currently using every foul means at its disposal to build a particular membership figure running into tens of millions which it intends to use as a justification to fault, dispute, reject and subsequently take to violence when it loses in 2015.

“It is our strong belief that the APC wishes to announce a figure of 28-29 million registered voters in Nigeria. Subsequently, after the elections when maybe they do not have half of it or 14 or 12 million voters as usual, they will declare the election rigged, illegal.”

He further alleged that “the APC officials and members have been going round the wards and polling units, using INEC polling locations and materials and in most cases lying to people that the exercise is being embarked on by INEC or by the Federal Government.

“Unsuspecting Nigerians who think that it is census or INEC or any Federal Government registered exercise are currently being hoodwinked into registering as members of the APC.

“We reliably gathered also that in states controlled by the APC, especially in the South-West, pupils and students in schools are lured or persuaded to get the passport photographs of their parents and guardians and fill in forms of their names, which are thereafter secretly affixed to the APC membership forms without the knowledge of the innocent students or their unsuspecting parents.”

The party also wondered why the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has not taken any action against the APC on the matter.

APC Reacts

In the meantime, the APC is not taking the PDP’s allegations lying low.

The Interim National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Lai Mohammed, said “if planning to win an election is a crime, then we will play guilty, but we plan to win and we shall win by the grace of God.”

Speaking with Channels Television, Mr Mohammed said “It was exactly a year ago, February 5, the first meeting of the merger took place, this is the same way they mocked us and said it would never work.

“Everybody was in the glare of all our discussions, through our debates, all our steps.  It took almost 6 months for the merger to be approved. We set the building blocks of this party almost immediately and we’ve been fortunate that the implosion in the PDP again helped the party to become a phenomenon.

“Today what we are witnessing is a movement,” he said.

PDP To Snub APC As It Regroups For 2015

After reproaching the All Progressives Congress (APC) for the purported gaffe involving the party’s registration on Tuesday, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has said it is totally unconcerned about the affairs of the opposition, especially the new merger party and that it is ready and able to withstand any activities presented by them.

The national publicity secretary of the party, Chief Olisah Metuh who was reacting to questions on the registration of the APC said the ruling party’s main objective now is to regain focus and unity and regroup for the forthcoming 2015 elections.

He said the ruling party is commencing a zonal reconciliation tour to give all estranged members of the party the opportunity to return to the fold ahead of 2015, irrespective of their reasons for defecting.

Chief Metuh added that the doors are open for any former member to reconcile without conditions so far as they meet all constitutional requirements and are prepared to work for the unity of the party.