Geri-Alimi Underpass: Kwara Govt. Compensates Affected Property Owners

Geri-Alimi Underpass: Kwara Govt. Compensates Affected Property OwnersThe Kwara State government has commenced payment of compensation to land and property owners in the right of way of the construction of the diamond underpass at Geri-Alimi in Ilorin.

A statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Abdulwahab Oba, revealed that the compensation paid to owners of residential buildings, shops and lands was to the tune of 30 million naira.

Presenting cheques to the beneficiaries, the Commissioner for Works and Transport, Mr Aro Yahaya, said the amount of money paid was determined by property valuers based on the value of the property.

He noted that although some structures along the axis were illegal, government would go ahead and compensate the affected individuals.

Mr Yahaya stated that the gesture indicates that “our word is our bond”, stressing that the state government has fulfilled the promise made when it flagged off the underpass.

He urged the people of the community to cooperate with the contractor to ensure smooth completion of the project.

In an interview with reporters, some of the beneficiaries commended the state government for the prompt payment of compensation.

They expressed optimism that the project would boost social and economic activities in the area.

Edo Govt. Sets Up Transition Committee

Godwin Obaseki, Adams Oshiomhole, Edo, Transition CommitteeA 19-member Transition Committee has been set up by the Edo State Government to ensure a smooth handover from the Governor Adams Oshiomhole administration to the Godwin Obaseki administration.

The handover will hold on November 12.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Peter Okhiria, on Monday stated that the committee would be chaired by the Secretary to the Edo State Government, Professor Julius Ihonvbere.

Other members of the committee are: Mr Henry Idahagbon, Mr Osarodion Ogie, Mr John Inegbedion, Dr. Aihanuwa Eregie and Prince Joe Okojie.

Others are: Mr Igbinidu Inneh, Mr Joseph Eboigbe, Mr Taiwo Akerele, Senator Domingo Obende, Dr. Aisosa Amadasun, Reverend Emmanuel Egharevba, Elder Pius Omofuma, Mr Theo Okoh, Mr Ben Ogbebor, Mrs Magdalene Ogbebulu, Mrs Benedicta Attoh, Mr Osaze Ojo, and Mr Ahmed Mamudu.

The committee is being constituted in spite of the allegation by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that the Edo governorship election was marred with irregularities.

The party and its governorship candidate in Edo State, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, had proceeded to the tribunal to challenge the results of the September 29 poll won by Mr Obaseki.

On the day of the election, the PDP claimed there was a plan by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and incumbent Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, to rig the election at the collation centre.

In a swift response, INEC National Commissioner in charge of Voter Education and Publicity, Solomon Soyebi, told Channels Television in Kaduna that the election was not flawed with irregularities as alleged.

He debunked claims by the PDP that the commission deliberately delayed result of the election from the 18 local government councils in Edo State in order to favour the ruling APC in the state.

Family Of Kidnapped Kwara State APC Chairman Seeks Intervention

APC, PetroleumThe family members of the kidnapped Chairman of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in Kwara State have appealed to the Inspector General of Police to put machinery in motion for the quick release of the party’s chairman and the secretary.

A spokesman for the APC in Kwara, Sulyman Buhari, said that the abduction took place on Friday along Lokoja road while the two men, Balogun Fulani-Ishola and Olabode Adekanye, were returning to Ilorin from Abuja.

He told reporters that the driver of the vehicle escaped when they were taken to a bush.

While the family explained that no ransom had been demanded, they, however, expressed hopes that with the intervention of the state Governor, the men would soon regain freedom.

At the house of the abducted state chairman in Jabata, Mr Jabata,relatives were seen discussing the issue in groups while his wife, Fatima Balogun-Fulani, was surrounded by friends and relatives.

Speaking in Yoruba language and sobbing, she pleaded for the release of her husband, adding that his absence was already being felt.

The first son of the party’s chairman, Abubakar Balogun-Fulani, explained that several meetings had been held with state government officials on the issue.

Although he said no ransom had been demanded, he noted that the police authority in Kogi State, where the incident happened, had been contacted.

He expressed hopes that their efforts would yield positive result soon.

The Kwara State government in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Abdulwahab Oba, described the incident as unfortunate and plead for early release of the two men.

Niger State Government To Pay Students’ NECO/WAEC Fees

NigerThe Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello, has announced the continued payment of Senior Secondary School Certificate examination fees for students in public schools in the state.

This is in fulfilment of the social contract of salvaging and restoring the education sector in the state.

Governor Abubakar Bello directed principals of public secondary schools to maintain government’s policy on payment of examination fee for the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE).

The directive was contained in a press statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Jibrin Baba Ndace in Minna.

According to the statement, parents of Basic 12 (SS3) students are to pay for either West African Examinations Council (WAEC) or National Examination Councils (NECO), while the state government will be responsible for the other.

With this directive, school principals are permitted to collect the fee for only one of the two examinations.

The Governor directed that school principals should adhere strictly to the policy, warning that any principal that flouts the directive would be dealt with.

The statement concluded by saying that parents are to report any principal that may want to force them to pay for the two examinations.

Ekiti Government Replies To PDP Allegations Of Misconduct

Kayode-FayemiEkiti State Government has reacted to allegations being made by the state chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and Chairman of the Transition Committee put in place by the Governor-elect, Mr Ayodele Fayose, Dipo Anisulowo, describing the outburst of the two as highly irresponsible and infantile in nature.

The media have been awash, in the last two weeks with stories on alleged shady deals by the incumbent administration. The allegations ranged from last minutes recruitment of workers, to panicky withdrawal of funds among others.

The state government however said in a statement in Ado-Ekiti on Sunday that no responsible party or transition committee would make such malicious allegations against the incumbent administration, especially when such claims are unfounded.

The statement which was signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Yinka Oyebode and made available to journalists in Ado-Ekiti on Sunday, said that the Fayemi administration had run the affairs of the state in the last four years with utmost regard for public accountability and fiscal responsibility laws, a development that have earned the state accolades from relevant authorities and rating organizations both locally and globally.

“Having built a reputation of service and integrity over the years, nothing- not even a controversial loss in an election – would make us go back on this path of honour. Neither are we going to succumb to cheap and infantile blackmail.”, the statement added.

He said that the allegations of the PDP are not only wicked, reckless and malicious, the statement added that it was a calculated attempt to tarnish the reputation of the current administration in the state and an anticipatory excuse for lack of performance when the new government get into office.

The state government challenged the PDP to mention the banks where the alleged illegal movement of funds took place and explain where the so called 3,000 workers were recruited illegally.

It added that the establishment of LCDAs went through a due  process that culminated in the law passed by the state Assembly establishing the 19 new LCDAs, stressing that the incoming Government could annul the new councils by simply going through the lay down procedure if it so desired.

The Government also used the opportunity to address the delayed payment of August salary to workers in the State, stressing that it was the first time that workers salary had been delayed in almost four years of the Fayemi administration, noting that it had been due to the non-availability of the overdraft facility to the state due to the panic created in financial institutions dealing with the state by the Governor-elect.

The government maintained that the PDP’s attitude of making false claims and raising false alarm is an immature approach to the transition arrangement, a development which it said has put the incoming government on a faulty start as people were now raising serious questions about its credibility.

The government also said that the PDP and its candidate, having failed to come up with any meaningful plan or manifesto for the state during the electioneering period should be advised to spend the transition period to work out a plan for the state instead of investing its time and energy on concocting defamatory claims.

Fayemi Sacks His Cabinet

The Governor of Ekiti State; Dr Kayode Fayemi has dissolved the entire state’s executive council and directed the Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries in their respective ministries.

The governor’s decision was made known in a statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor; Mr. Olayinka Oyebode.

According to the statement, “governor announced the decision to members of the council during Wednesday’s meeting at the Executive Council Chamber; Governor’s Office, Ado-Ekiti.”

The Governor thanked all the executive members for their support for the government in the last two years, adding that the dissolution and the re-constitution that would follow are aimed at revitalising the administration and positioning it for greater performance.

“This is a moment of change and transformation in all that we are doing. This is not a statement about an individual not pulling their weight enough” the governor noted.