Buhari Has Political Will To Surpass Past Governments – Oshiomhole

BuhariThe Governor of Edo State, Adams Oshiomhole, has a contrary view to the perspective of the PDP on the 30 days of President Muhamamdu Buhari in office.

Governor Oshiomhole believes the President has the political will to do better than past governments because of what he perceives as the President’s commitment to fashioning out policies and programmes that will impact directly on the lives of average Nigerians.

He said that the assurance of the will of the President to deliver on party’s manifestos and campaign promises came after the meeting he and some governors had with the President in Abuja.

The Governor, however, says there “will be no quick fix measures” because Buhari inherited a treasury that is almost empty.

“All the same, he has not come to lament that, but he has come to give a new hope and we are more inspired now,” he added.

Mr Oshiomhole has asked Nigerians to be patient with the President and support him in order for him to deliver on the promises he made before and after assuming office.

The PDP, in a statement on Sunday by its Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, had referred to President Buhari’s first 30 days in office as “30 days of motion without movement”.

The opposition party said that it finds it necessary to pray for the Buhari-led federal government as it is deeply worried that the President, who promised to unveil his cabinet two weeks after his inauguration, has not been able to decide on key appointments such as ministers, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), a Chief of Staff and advisers in key sectors of the economy.

The PDP believes this is having negative effects on Nigeria’s economy.

They also berated the President’s handling of the country’s anti-terror war.

PDP Says Buhari Needs Prayers

pdpIt’s a month since the inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari but the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP is asking Nigerians to join in praying for the government for it to succeed.

The PDP, in a statement on Sunday by its Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, says it becomes necessary to pray for the Buhari-led federal government because of what it termed as 30 days of motion without movement.

The PDP says it is deeply worried that the President, who promised to unveil his cabinet two weeks after his inauguration, has not been able to decide on key appointments such as ministers, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), a Chief of Staff and advisers in key sectors of the economy.

Mr Metuh added that the situation is taking its toll on the economy, which has according to him in the last 30 days, witnessed unprecedented decline with a terrifying crippling of foreign and domestic investments including activities in the money and capital market sectors.

The PDP also criticised the President for the handling of counter insurgency since assuming office.

It said that apart from the directive to relocate the counter terrorism command center to Borno State and seeking assistance from foreigners, no other concrete step has been taken in the fight against insurgency.

“Instead, the anti-terrorism effort has completely lost steam in the last 30 days, with insurgents, who had already been pushed to the verge of surrender in the Sambisa forest by the Goodluck Jonathan administration, now surging back and spreading into the country,” it said.

Buhari Is Busy Cleaning PDP’s Augean Stable – Presidency

BuhariThe Presidency, in reaction to the PDP’s criticism of Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari’s first 30 days in office, says the administration has been kept busy cleaning PDP’s “Augean Stable”.

The opposition, Peoples Democratic Party, on Sunday through its National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh, referred to President Buhari’s first 30 days in office as “30 days of motion without movement“, asking Nigerians to pray for the administration.

In a swift reaction, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, said that it was amusing to read what the National Publicity Secretary of the defeated Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh, considers a 30 days appraisal of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration.

According to Mr Adesina, “He (Metuh) wants Nigerians to join hands in prayers for the government, so that things would begin to move (but) what he does not know is that Nigerians had long formed such coalition.

“They are hands in hands, and that was what gave victory to President Buhari in the March 28, 2015 poll. They had teamed up to uproot an administration that had brought the country to her knees, and was about to tip her off the precipice. And Nigerians have resolved that never would they allow any government to divide them along regional, religious and ethnic fault lines again.”

He stated that the Buhari administration is naturally contemplative because there was no reason to the way PDP ran the country, particularly in the immediate past dispensation and that is why the “Augean Stable is being cleaned”.

Explaining that the Buhari administration has only been scrupulous and painstaking in its approach, he said, “Across all sectors, our national life was devalued, and it takes meticulousness and sure-footedness to repair all the breaches.”

While maintaining that the Buhari administration would deliver on its promises, Mr Adesina added that after all that is being planned by the current administration has matured, and bearing fruits, Nigerians would be able to determine who is serving them acceptably, and who has taken them for a ride.

The Presidency also says siphoning money from the treasury “was the pastime of the immediate past administration, and the enormity of the sleaze will be evident when stolen money, to the tune of billions of dollars, is recovered, and returned to the national treasury soon”.

Army Sends Advance Team To Maiduguri For Military Command

Military CommandThe Nigerian military has sent a reconnaissance and advance team to Maiduguri, Borno State for the establishment of the Military Command and Control Centre (MCCC) for ‘Operation Zaman Lafiya’.

This is in compliance with the Presidential pronouncement and the Chief of Army Staff’s directive for the fight against terrorism and insurgency.

The Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sanni Usman, said, “The team, which is led by a 2-Star General, has already commenced work in earnest and it is comprised of elements of the Office of the Chief of Army Staff, all the relevant Army Headquarters Departments and other combat support components.”

The Centre, according to Col. Usman, will serve as a forward command base for the Chief of Army Staff and other Service Chiefs.

He added that the Military Command Centre is essentially an elaboration of an already existing Army Headquarters Command and Control arrangement which will monitor, coordinate and control the fight against terrorism and insurgency would be coordinated and controlled from this centre.

He said that the MCCC would not create another layer of command structure but would add renewed vigour to the ‘Operation Zaman Lafiya’.

He also said that an alternate command centre is also being established in Yola.

Opinions Differ On Relocation of Command Centre To Maiduguri

Command CentreBorno State has been on the receiving end from Boko Haram attacks but there are high hopes of a turn of events as the Command Centre relocates to Maiduguri.

The Nigerian President announced the planned relocation of the Command Centre to Borno State during his inauguration on Friday, May 29 and Nigerians have continued to comment on the directive given by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The former Minister of Education and leader of the Bring Back Our Girls campaign organisation, Mrs Oby Ezekwesili says Nigerians should just wait to see how that speech will be translated into action.

Mrs Ezekwesili, who spoke to Channels Television in Abuja, described the speech as inspiring as it is loaded with action, one of the attributes of a good speech.

She, however, noted that translating the speech into positive results is what would determine if it was indeed a great speech, starting with the rescue of the Chibok girls.

A security expert, Capt. Aliyu Umar, is also one of those who believe that the decision to move the Command Centre to Maiduguri was a good one.

He said that the relocation would give the military the edge to fight the militants, recalling several instances where similar decisions had yielded positive results.

Capt. Umar said that the Nigerian Army might not have had a high number of soldiers running away from battle if their commanders had been around.

The retired Nigerian Army officer also frowned at times in the past when military chiefs have had to stay back in Abuja waiting to be told what was happening in the North-east, highlighting the constant breakdown of communications as a major set back in Nigeria’s fight against insurgency.

Vulnerable And Attractive Target

Another Security Consultant, Dr Onah Ekhomu, however, believes that moving the military command centre to Maiduguri may not yield the desired results in the long run, because of the transformation of Boko Haram’s tactics into pure terror.

He said that the decision would make the command centre a vulnerable and attractive target for the insurgents, recalling the spirited attacks that the insurgents have launched on the Giwa Barracks in Maiduguri in the past.

According to him, it takes one IED to destroy an entire facility.

Dr. Ekhomu also stated that effectively combating the group’s terror would require more of intelligence assets, more planning and a strategic assessment of Boko Haram’s capabilities.

A command centre is any place that is used to provide centralised command for some purpose.

It is sometimes considered to be a military facility, but the centre enables an organisation to function as designed, to perform day to day operations regardless of what is happening around it, in a manner in which no one realises it is there.

The command cenrtre is a source of leadership and guidance.

Regional Leaders Step Up Boko Haram Fight With Troops, Command Centre

Boko HaramLeaders of Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Benin on Tuesday announced plans to step up the fight against Boko Haram with an additional battalion and a command centre to tackle the militants whose insurgency has spread beyond Nigeria, a statement said.

Boko Haram’s violent five-year campaign for an Islamic state has killed thousands and is threatening the stability of countries in the West and Central African regions.

In the past two months, it has progressed from bombings, raids and kidnappings to trying to seize territory in remote areas near the Cameroon border, possibly inspired by similar moves by Sunni Islamist militants in Iraq and Syria.

The militants have also carried out incursions into Niger and Chad, and authorities fear the attacks will continue to spread if left unchecked.

The four heads of states and a representative of Cameroon’s president said after meeting in Niger’s capital Niamey that a command centre for an already agreed-upon multinational force, led by a chief of staff will be in place by Nov. 20.

“The heads of state regrets the persistence of Boko Haram Islamic sect’s atrocious acts of terror on people and security forces in Nigeria and other neighbouring countries,” the statement said.

The leaders agreed to finalise the deployment of troops promised by member states to form the multinational force within their national borders by Nov. 1.

Benin, Nigeria’s western neighbour, whose border stretches from the Atlantic to the Sahel north, was also asked to deploy a military battalion to its border with Nigeria.

The Niamey meeting is a follow-up to a May summit in Paris where the leaders promised to improve cooperation in the fight against Boko Haram after the group kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls and threatened to destabilise the wider region.