The Nigerian Army says it has apprehended the two soldiers who were caught on camera assaulting a physically challenged man in Nigeria’s southeast.
The video clip released by eyewitnesses online showed the soldiers beating the physically challenged man allegedly for wearing a camouflage shirt.
In a statement signed by the Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Usman, the Army confirmed that the incident indeed took place on Tuesday February 7, 2017, at Onitsha, Anambra State.
“In line with our zero tolerance for acts of indiscipline and unprofessional conducts especially in relation to violation of human rights, we wish to further state that the soldiers involved have since been identified and apprehended.
“They have also been charged for assault by their Commanding Officer.
“Similarly, troops have been warned to desist from such acts that infringe on human rights and cast serious aspersions on the good image of the Nigerian Army.
“The public should please regard this ugly incident as an isolated case which is not true reflection of the Nigerian Army,” the statement reads.
Bayelsa State Governor, Mr Seriake Dickson, has challenged the Commanding Officer, Nigerian Air Force Mobility Command, Air Vice Marshal Stephen Onuh, to be proficient in carrying out his responsibility.
The Governor made the call on Tuesday while welcoming Air Vice Marshal Onuh who has just been posted to Bayelsa State, south-south Nigeria.
He asked the Air Force boss to carry out his duty professionally without fear or favour.
Governor Dickson reiterated that his administration was committed to zero tolerance for crime and criminality.
He assured the Air Vice Marshal of the support of the people of the state, stressing that with the synergy, he had no doubt that the state’s security would be a lot better.
In his response, Onuh assured the Governor that the command would be dutiful in the assignment which they have come to do.
He highlighted the impact of the security and the contribution of the Air Force in the fight against terror, stressing that they were doing all they can to defend and support democracy.
At least 28 officers and soldiers have been killed in the persistent farmers and Fulani herdsmen clashes in Benue State and the fight against insurgency in Nigeria’s north-east, a military official has said.
The Commanding Officer, 72 Airborne Battalion, Makurdi, Colonel Timothy Lagbaja, told reporters in Makurdi on Tuesday that 12 officers and soldiers were killed in the incessant farmers and Fulani herdsmen clashes in the state since 2012 to date.
While 16 others lost their lives in the war against Boko Haram insurgents.
Lagbaja hinted of plans by the command to immortalise the fallen soldiers given their track record of service to their fatherland.
Colonel Lagbaja further stated that several other soldiers had been injured in special-forces operations in Maiduguri and were presently receiving the best available medical attention.
He said that the Command had deployed over 500 soldiers to different parts of Benue State to tackle the farmers and herdsmen crisis.
According to him, the deployment had helped in stemming the tide, with various calibre of illegal arms and ammunitions recovered from criminal gangs operating in the state.
“We have gone a long way in combating the crisis. Clashes are isolated and far in-between. We have also recovered lots of arms and ammunitions from criminal gangs in the State,” he stated.
The Commanding Officer further said that in line with its community service posture, the Command organised a medical outreach program in Daudu, Guma Local Government Area, during which medical experts from the United States rendered free medical service to the people.
Colonel Lagbaja called for a synergy and partnership with the media in the area of information management and dissemination.
After 10 days of helplessly drifting on sea and surviving on raw fish, two foreign nationals have been rescued by the Nigerian Navy ship ranger and taken to Forward Operating Base (FOB), Bonny.
The Commanding Officer, Captain Joseph Nwachi, told Channels Television that the two men will be handed over to the Nigerian Immigration for necessary action.
He said: ”On the 22nd of June, our men from NNS Pathfinder who are deployed at a place called Mistras, an offshore platform, intercepted a boat drifting with two people inside.
”On interruption, they couldn’t speak English. Luckily, one of the workers on board Mistras could speak Portuguese, because they found out that they were Portuguese speaking nationals from the Republic of Sao Tome and Principe, who lost their engines and their boat started drifting for about 10 days and they were feeding on raw fish for that period.
”They brought them to our base and we were able to also get in touch with the platform and they gave us the report of what transpired.
”Consequently, we contacted our base, Nigerian Navy Ship Pathfinder, located at Rumuolumeni. The Commander there, Commander S.A Mohammed, directed that we should hand them over to immigration.”
He also noted that the Nigerian Navy will not relent in the fight against oil thieves, to ensure safety of the nation’s territorial waters.
Officials of the Nigerian Navy and the Joint Task Force have warned oil thieves and other maritime criminals to stay clear of Nigeria’s waters, promising to tackle their activities and reduce oil theft, depleting the nation’s revenue.
The Commanding Officer, Forward Operating Base Bonny, Captain Hassan Dogara, read a riot act during the burning of two wooden boats with 55 metric tonnes of suspected crude belonging to oil thieves.
During a joint sea patrol with the Joint Task Force, the Forward Operating Base also arrested 11 suspects, seized five speed boats, two wooden boats and a barge containing a total of 285 metric tonnes of suspected petroleum products in creek 6 in Kalibiama Community, Bonny, Rivers State.
The success of the team was attributed to the collaboration of the security agencies.
The Commanding Officer, 146 Battalion, Lieutenant Col. George Nyekwu, said that they would do all they could to ensure that the activities of the oil thieves would come to an end in the region.
“We will chase the oil thieves far away from here the whole of this vicinity. We will make sure that nothing of such will take place here again. Though it is a difficult task, we will try within our own capability to make sure that we stop them,” he said.
In September 2013, President Goodluck Jonathan had said that Nigeria was losing 1.5 billion Naira daily to oil theft and had asked the security agencies to tackle the increasing trend that was affecting the revenue from crude.