Dortmund Bomb Suspect Aimed To Profit From Shares – Police

Courtesy: ewn.co.za

German Police have arrested a man suspected of detonating three bombs that targeted the Borussia Dortmund football team bus last week, ahead of their UEFA champions league tie against A.S Monaco

Prosecutors said his aim was to send the club’s shares plummeting and making a profit on an investment.

The 28-year old man is a dual German and Russian national, identified as Sergei V, and had bought options on Borussia Dortmund’s stock bvb.de, before the attack.

The club shares rose at 1.8 per cent on April 12, the day after the attack, and are up about two per cent so far this year.

Families Of Shooting Victims To Continue Lawsuit Against Aaron Hernandez

Ex-NFL Star Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide In Jial
Courtesy: Reuters

The families of Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado will proceed with their civil lawsuits against the estate of Aaron Hernandez, despite the former NFL player’s death.

Hernandez was found dead in his prison cell on Wednesday in an apparent suicide, five days after, a jury acquitted him of killing the two men outside a Boston nightclub in 2012.

The 27-year old was a rising star in the National Football League when he was arrested in June 2013 and accused of murdering an acquaintance near his Massachusetts home.

He was convicted of that killing and sentenced to life in prison in 2015, however on Friday, he was acquitted of a separate 2012 double murder.

Brighton Gain Promotion To EPL

Courtesy: Pinterest.com

Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. have gained promotion to the English Premier League (EPL) after Huddersfield Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Derby County in the English Championship.

Brighton beat Wigan Athletic 2-1 to move seven points clear at the top of the table.

The South-Coast club can now start preparing for life in the top division again, following their relegation in 1982-1983 and subsequent journey down and back up the leagues.

They need three more points to clinch the Championship title and will be crowned champions if they win at Norwich on Friday.

Rivers United Coach, Eguma Warns Against Complacency

CAF Confederation Cup: Rivers United Beat Rayon Sports 2-0Rivers United Technical Adviser, Stanley Eguma says he is not getting carried away by his team’s first leg win over Rayon Sports of Rwanda, in the round of 32 of the CAF Confederation Cup.

Two goals from Emeka Atuloma and Guy Kuemian, gave the Port Harcourt based side the crucial home win but despite the advantage, Eguma has warned his players not to get complacent ahead of the return leg in Rwanda.

Both sides would be meeting again on Saturday April 22 at the Amahoro Stadium in Kigali with the aggregate winner progressing to the group stage of the competition.

Team Nigeria Hopes To Win African Badminton Title

Nigerian players competing at the Africa Badminton Championship are confident they can emerge champions in South Africa.

The championship which is schedule for April 16 to 23 will feature Africa’s top Badminton players.

Team Nigeria is made up of six players, comprising of four males and two females that will represent the country in the Mixed Team event as well as Individual Championship.

Captain of the Nigeria Badminton team, Babalola Gideon, who is the number one ranked player in the country, is confident that Nigeria will impress at the championship.

“We have trained together as a team for more than a month and we believe we are prepared to take up the trophy”, Babalola said.

The Nigerian Badminton players are, Habeeb Bello, Clement Korobapo, Salaudeen Abdulfatai, Momoh Zainab, Gideon Babalola and Dorcas Adesokan who is already in South Africa on a training scholarship by the Badminton Confederation of Africa in preparation for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Egypt, Nigeria, 10 Others Battle For YOG Qualification

Africa’s Table Tennis power houses, Egypt and Nigeria as well as 10 others will compete for the four slots available for Africa in the 2018 Youth Olympic Games (YOG) taking place in Argentina.

The teams, Egypt, Nigeria, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Libya, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Congo Brazzaville, Congo DRC and Madagascar will begin hostilities on Sunday April 16 at the Palais Des Sport El-Mensah, Tunis.

In the seeding list released by ITTF Africa, Egypt’s duo of Youssef Abdel-Aziz and Marwa Alhodaby are top seeds in the boys and girls event respectively.

In the draw conducted on Saturday April 15 by the tournament referee, Tunisia’s Bechir Metoui, the boys have been drawn into three groups of four players with the top players in group one and two getting a bye to the semifinal stage, while the top player in group three and second placed players in the groups will be drawn for a knockout matches to decide the players that will battle against the top two players in the semifinal round.

After missing out from the 2017 International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) African Junior Championship, Nigeria’s Azeez Solanke and Tosin Esther Oribamise are the only new faces in Tunis and they are both seeded number two in the boys and girls events of the qualifiers.

All the round robin matches will be played on Sunday April 16 while the semifinal matches hold on Monday April 17 with the finalists in the boys and girls event qualifying automatically for the Youth Olympic Games.

Tunisia’s queen of the table, Garci Fadwa will represent the host alongside southpaw, Nathael Hamdoun.

Algeria’s teenage sensation, Abdelbasset Chaichi and Loubna Djedjik will represent their country.

Also another new faces in the qualifying tournament are Ethiopia’s duo of Kalab Bereba and Tamiru Feven Kinfu who also missed the ITTF African Junior Championship.

Indoor Sports Hall Collapses In Calabar

A major disaster which would have claimed lives and left many severely injured was averted in Calabar, the Cross River state capital, when an uncompleted multipurpose indoor sports hall at the U. J. Esuene Sports Stadium collapsed.

The incident happened at a time when the children’s competition taking place in the stadium was suspended to observe the Easter Holiday as more than 2000 children would have been crushed to death.

The structure was supposed to be one of the facilities to host the National Sports Festival by the State, which was awarded for 14 million Dollars.

Reacting on the unfortunate development, Chairman of the State’s Sports Commission, Mr Orok Duke, blamed the incident on the Contractor who besides not completing the job after being fully paid 14 million Dollars upfront, still used substandard materials.

The indoor Sport hall Chairman said, the stadium was awarded by the immediate past administration and has been under construction for over two years.

“What I have discovered is that the contractors to this project have used substandard materials and it is showing because this structure has been here for not more than three years but what we should note is that this structure was erected before the advent of Prof Ben Ayade’s government.

“And in keeping with our policy of trying to reposition sports, I had asked for permission to go after the contractor, but my principal, the governor had said he does not want to be distracted. We should cut our losses and move on because he was still focusing on hosting the National Sports Festival.

“The most frightening thing is the discovery of these substandard materials which means this was a tragedy waiting to happen.

“If it hadn’t happened now, maybe it would have happened when we had a full house with a lot of athletes.

“Being Good Friday, I can say that God just intervened because a lot of people would have been killed, especially now lots of children come to the stadium. This structure was supposed to be here for over 200 years. So we are really stunned about this development.

“The original design of the indoor sports hall had two ovals. So money was given for two ovals, but he started work on one and could not even complete it. Even at that, substandard materials were still used. It is only in Cross River that sundry contractors would walk in, cheat us and walk away without anyone going after them. It is sad for us”, Mr Duke said.

Mr Duke further called on relevant agencies to thoroughly look into the matter and act accordingly in order to serve as a deterrent.

Bale To Miss Gijon Match

Courtesy: article.wn.com

Gareth Bale has been ruled out of Real Madrid’s La Liga clash with Sporting Gijon on Saturday.

The Welshman picked up a muscular problem during Wednesday’s UEFA Champions League victory against Bayern Munich and had to be substituted.

It has now been confirmed that the 27-year-old has an issue with his right soleous muscle that could be connected to the ankle injury that was operated on in November 2016.

Supersand Eagles Coach, Ejor Impressed With Players Fitness

Head coach of the Beach Supersand Eagles, Audu Ejor, is impressed with the level of fitness of all his invited players to the team’s training camp ahead of the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup set to hold in the Bahamas.

The team would play in group B, alongside Mexico, Italy and Iran.

The former African Champions, would kick start their campaign against the Italians on April 27, and would face the Mexicans on April 29, while their last group game is against Iran in May.

The team’s best outing at the competition, is a quarter-final finish at the 2011 edition in Italy.

NFF Inspects Uyo Stadium For AFCON Qualifying Matches

Federation Cup, NFFAn inspection team led by the Chairman of the Nigeria Football Federation Technical and Development Committee, Barrister Chris Green, has expressed satisfaction with the current state of the playing turf of Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.

The stadium is slated to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier between Nigeria and South Africa in eight weeks time.

Green, alongside NFF Deputy General Secretary, Dr. Emmanuel Ikpeme inspected the magnificent facility, nicknamed “Nest of Champions” which hosted the 2017 AFCON qualifier between the Super Eagles and Tanzania in September 2016, as well as the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying battle between the Eagles and the Fennecs of Algeria five months ago.

“We are delighted with the state of the playing turf and other facilities at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium, I can tell you that the pitch is just as it was when the Super Eagles played Algeria in the World Cup qualifier in November 2016.

“The fact that Julius Berger has also started some work on the turf is even more re-assuring. They are adding manure, and afterwards will do cutting and rolling, and they have the benefit of the weather at this period. By the time we host South Africa on June 10, the pitch will be one of the very best anywhere in Africa”, he said.

The visit to the capital of Akwa Ibom state was to ascertain the condition of the playing pitch and indeed other facilities at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, as well as the level of commitment of the State Government to hosting the big match.

After the inspection, the team reported, “Every inch of the field is covered by grass and the grass is lush green. Julius Berger (the company that built the stadium) has commenced work on the field for the purpose of bringing it to the best standard possible.

“Every other facility is in good condition. The condition of the field, as it is now, is good enough for matches to be played on it.

“The Akwa Ibom State Government has continued to show desire and commitment to hosting the match.

“However, in order to maintain the lush green state of the pitch, the inspection team has advised that no activity be carried out on it until ongoing work is completed and the 2019 AFCON qualifier between the Eagles and the Bafana Bafana is played”.

The “Nest of Champions” will also play host to the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches between the Super Eagles and Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions on August 2017 and between the Super Eagles and the Chipolopolo of Zambia on October 2017.

PFA Awards: Hazard, Kante Among Nominees

Courtsey: thesun.co.uk

Eden Hazard and N’golo Kante have been named among the six nominees for the men’s PFA Players’ Player of the year award.

The Chelsea duo are joined by Manchester United Forward, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Tottenham Striker, Harry Kane, Everton’s Romelu Lukaku and Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez on the full shortlist.

Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez scooped the prize in 2016, while Hazard won the award during the 2014/15 campaign.

The 44th PFA Awards will be hold in London on Sunday, April 23, 2017.

NRA Urges LMC To Clamp On Hooliganism In NPFL

Courtesy: www.npfl.ng

The Nigeria Referees Association (NRA), has called on the League Management Company (LMC) to clamp on the rising tide of hooliganism.

This followed the persistent attack on some of its members officiating in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) in some venues.

Three referees that handled Sunday’s NPFL game between Kano Pillars and Akwa United were manhandled by the home fans at the Sani Abacha Stadium in Kano.

The NRA in a statement lashed out at the club’s officials for inciting the fans against its members, irrespective of the outcomes of their games.

The statement added that it would not hesitate to withdraw its members from the league if the ugly trend continues.