Former Croatia international Robert Prosinecki resigned as Bosnia and Herzegovina coach on Sunday after “failing” to reach Euro 2020 following a 4-2 defeat by Armenia.
Prosinecki, who featured for his country as they finished third at the 1998 World Cup, had been in the post since January last year but his side sit fourth in their group on seven points from six games, eight behind leaders Italy.
“I discussed with everyone and I resign. Since I began the position, I thought we would qualify. We failed,” the 50-year-old said after the match in Yerevan.
As a coach he worked as an assistant with Croatia before being appointed as Azerbaijan boss after a playing career which included spells at Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla.
Bosnia’s only appearance at a major tournament was the 2014 World Cup in Brazil where they finished third in their group behind Nigeria and eventual runners-up Argentina.
World Cup finalists Croatia slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Hungary in a Euro 2020 Group E qualifier on Sunday when Mate Patkai notched a 76th minute winner in Budapest.
Croatia had struggled against Azerbaijan in their opening qualifier last Thursday before escaping with a 2-1 win, but they made the perfect start in the Hungarian capital when Ante Rebic put them ahead on 13 minutes.
One worker was killed, six were injured and two went missing in a fire that broke out Thursday at a hydropower plant near the Croatian port Dubrovnik, police said.
The fire at the Dubrovnik power plant in Plat, some 15 kilometers (nine miles) south of the Adriatic resort, was brought under control, the national firefighting association said.
“A firefighting unit divers found the body (of the killed worker) in a drain ditch connecting the plant with the sea,” local police chief Ivan Pavlicevic told reporters.
They were still looking for two other missing workers, he said. According to him, it is believed that the three had failed to leave the plant when the fire broke out and entered the ditch trying to escape.
The cause of the fire that broke out at a facility’s tunnel was still not known.
Of the six injured employees, three were hospitalized in Dubrovnik and their lives were not endangered, a hospital official said.
The 252-megawatt plant is run by the state-run power firm HEP.
Former US Open champion Marin Cilic of Croatia on Friday pulled out of next week’s Maharashtra ATP tournament to recuperate from a knee injury in time for the Australian Open.
The 30-year-old world number seven led Croatia to a Davis Cup final victory over France last month and was to be a key crowd puller at the season-opening ATP event in the west Indian city of Pune starting Monday.
“I am sad to announce I have had to pull out of the Tata Open Maharashtra. My sincerest apologies to the fans and organizers,” Cilic posted on his Facebook page.
“I was looking forward to returning, however, my knee pains that began toward the end of the season have escalated.”
He added: “I cannot go into this tournament knowing I am not currently able to give 100 percent.”
Cilic won the title in 2009 and 2010 when it was played in Chennai.
The Maharashtra tournament is a key warm-up event for the first Grand Slam of the year in Melbourne, which starts on January 14.
Defending champion Gilles Simon of France and world number six Kevin Anderson of South Africa will take part in the Indian event.
A Zagreb court has dropped charges that Croatia football captain and Real Madrid star Luka Modric gave false testimony in a corruption trial, a court spokesman said on Monday.
“There is not enough evidence that he (Modric) committed the criminal offence of perjury,” Kresimir Devcic told AFP.
The ruling, which closes the case, comes as Modric is hoping to be awarded the 2018 Ballon d’Or in Paris on Monday for taking his team to the 2018 World Cup finals in Moscow.
Croatia lost to France in the final but the small nation was overjoyed by its historic run, which temporarily quieted anguish over corruption and other problems plaguing the sport.
In March, Croatian prosecutors had charged Modric, 33, with committing perjury during evidence he gave in the multi-million-euro corruption trial of former Dinamo Zagreb boss Zdravko Mamic.
Modric testified in June last year over the details of his 2008 transfer from Dinamo to Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur.
He went on to join Real Madrid in 2012.
Mamic and three other defendants were found guilty of charges of abuse of power and corruption that cost Dinamo, the current Croatian champions, more than 15 million euros ($17.3 million), and the state 1.5 million euros.
Mamic, who is currently in hiding in neighbouring Bosnia, was sentenced in June to six and a half years in jail.
Prosecutors allege cash was embezzled through fictitious deals related to player transfers.
Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic has returned to Barcelona with a hamstring strain and will miss the Nations League match against England on Sunday, the club said.
Rakitic suffered the injury in the World Cup finalists’ 3-2 win against Spain on Thursday.
Barcelona said he had suffered “a strained hamstring in his right leg”.
The club gave no timescale for his recovery but Spanish press reports said he could be out for up to three weeks which could mean he misses the Liga clash with Atletico Madrid on November 24 and a Champions League match against PSV Eindhoven four days later.
A win for Croatia over the side they beat to reach the World Cup final would take Zlatko Dalic’s men to the semi-finals of the Nations League and send England down to League B.
If England win, they will win the group and progress to the finals of the new competition — which offers the chance of qualification for Euro 2020 — and relegate Croatia.
A draw would hand Spain first place in the group. If its goalless, Croatia would be relegated but a score draw would leave England in last place.
Croatia goalkeeper Danijel Subasic announced his international retirement on Wednesday one month after starring in the World Cup final.
“The time has come after 10 years on the national team to say goodbye my favourite jersey,” Subasic wrote in a letter published by the Croatian Football Federation (HNS), a day after striker Mario Mandzukic retired.
“I made my decision long before the World Cup because my dream was to end my career with the national team at a World Cup,” Subasic added.
“The one in Russia was the most emotional moment of my career… thank you all,” added the Monaco goalkeeper.
The native of Zadar made his debut for the “Vatreni” (Fiery Ones) in 2009.
At the World Cup in Russia, he was the hero in the last 16 against Denmark, making three penalty saves in a nail-biting shootout.
In the quarter-finals, he stopped two goalbound shots to help eliminate hosts Russia, before seeing off England and then falling to France in the final.
His international retirement comes after Croatia striker Mario Mandzukic and defender Vedran Corluka also announced their international retirements.