The death toll from the attack on Godogodo village in Kaduna state, northwest Nigeria has risen from 20 to 44.
Gunmen invaded Godogodo village on Saturday night, shooting sporadically and setting buildings ablaze.
At least 20 people were killed and property destroyed during the attack. This led to the imposition of a dusk to dawn curfew in the village in Jema’a Local Government Area of Kaduna state.
But during a visit to the area by the state government officials, led by the Deputy Governor, Mr Bala Bantex, the residents revealed that the armed men unleashed violence again on the community early on Monday.
They accused security agents of not responding quickly to the numerous calls for help by the residents while the violence lasted.
Meanwhile the state government has promised to alleviate the suffering of the victims, through the intervention of the National and State Emergency Management Agencies.
The state’s Deputy Governor, Bala Bantex, advised residents to remain calm, just as government officials began an assessment of the extent of damage done.
The United Nations human rights chief said on Wednesday 31 people have been killed in attacks in Burundi this month, decrying an increase in violence in the east African nation.
Tit-for-tat attacks between President Pierre Nkurunziza’s security forces and his opponents escalated a year ago when he announced a disputed bid for a third term as president. He won re-election in July.
The United Nations says more than 400 people have been killed since then and more than 250,000 have fled the country.
“Some 31 people have been killed in attacks so far in April, compared to a total of nine people in the last month,” U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein said in a statement.
“I fear that the increasing number of targeted assassinations will inevitably exacerbate the already extremely dangerous spiral of violence and unrest in Burundi.”
In the latest incident, gunmen on Monday killed a brigadier general who was a senior adviser to the first vice president, along with his wife and bodyguard.
The international war crimes court said this week it would investigate the violence in Burundi.
Burundi and neighboring Rwanda, which both have an ethnic Hutu majority and Tutsi minority, have been torn apart by ethnic conflict in the past. Experts fear the recent violence during the political crisis in Burundi may reopen old ethnic wounds and risk causing civil war.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal and the Chief of Defense Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin have urged citizens to remain calm as perpetrators of the Abuja bombings would be brought to book.
Speaking to journalists after visiting the sites and the National Hospital, where most of the victims of the Nyanya bombing were transferred to for treatment, the SGF gave the assurance that the insurgents would be defeated.
“We want to encourage Nigerians not to despair because we know that the insurgents are being defeated… As the President has directed and as the security agents have assured, come December we will be rid of this menace,” he said.
The Chief of Defence Staff, however, said that security agencies would need to reassess their strategies to beat the new dimension that the insurgents have taken.
“We commiserate with the families who have lost their dear ones and for the security agencies we will begin to reappraise our security infrastructure and setup to ensure that we are able to address this challenges appropriately.
“We are really sad that these insurgents have decided to be hitting on soft targets but we are not deterred in our efforts to rid them from the nation, Nigeria.
“We are working with the President’s directive and we are putting all action and all our strategies in place to ensure that we achieve the presidential directive.”
Victims of the Nyanya bomb blast who were hitherto rushed to the Nyanya General Hospital have all been transferred to the National and Asokoro General Hospital in Abuja for intensive care.
The Head of Clinical Services at the Asokoro Hospital also confirmed that bodies of three persons have also been deposited in the morgue.
A total of 20 deaths and 41 injured have been recorded from the three blasts that rocked Nyanya and Kuje, both suburbs of Abuja on Friday night.
The site of the suicide bombing in Nyanya has been cordoned by security officials, but the damage left by the bomber is huge.
This is the second time in two years that suicide bombers have detonated bombs in Nyanya with several casualties.
Death tolls from the bombing that rocked two satellite towns in Abuja has risen to 20.
The Director of Public Health at the Ministry of Health, Mr Opada Balami, said that the fatality figures in Kuje has risen to 15, while that of Nyanya now stands at five.
According to him, out of the 41 injured, only 24 are currently receiving treatment at the various government hospitals in Abuja as others with minor injuries have been discharged.
“The total number of persons that died are 20 and distributed as follows; Kuje, we have 15 persons who died, at the Nyanya site we have five persons who also died.
“The total number of persons that were injured and taken to hospital by the first responders are as follows; Kuje 20, Nyanya 21.
“Number of cases currently in the hospital; there are no cases in the Nyanya and Kuje General Hospital but we have seven patients in Asokoro Hospital. We also have 13 patients in National Hospital and four patients in Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital,” he said.
Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has condemned the bomb explosions in the satellite towns of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Kuje and Nyanya.
Senator Saraki, in a statement by his Media Office in Abuja, urged Nigerians not to panic, as the renewed attacks are signs that the days of Boko Haram are numbered.
He commended the security agencies for their quick response to the incidents in Nyanya and Kuje, especially the prompt evacuation of both the dead and injured to medical facilities where they are receiving needed medical attention.
He, however, urged the security agencies to step up the intelligence gathering machinery and leave no stone unturned in ensuring that the peace that has returned to the Federal Capital Tertiary (FCT) and its environs is not only sustained but improved upon.
He also called on Nigerians not to relent in their prayers and making critical intelligence available to security forces, to aid them in their final onslaught against insurgency in the North-East and other affected parts of the country.
The Senate President commiserated with the families of victims of the explosions and wished those hospitalized speedy recovery.
He said that the Senate would continue to support the troops with appropriate legislations and necessary budgetary allocations to enable them succeed in the task of effectively defending the territorial integrity of the country, as well as assisting in the maintenance of internal security.
President Muhammadu Buhari has spoken of the determination of his administration to rid the country of extremism as a way of eradicating violence in the country.
Speaking on Saturday morning, after he received a briefing from a fact-finding team he sent to the parts of the Federal Capital territory which came under terrorist bombings on Friday evening, the President said that for terrorism to be uprooted from the country, the society must be rid of violent extremism.
“The defeat of Boko Haram insurgency is in sight but to remove violence and make the country safe, we must tackle the prevalence of violent extremism. In doing this, we will learn from the experience of the international community,” President Buhari assured.
A statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, quoted the President as directing the security services to raise their surveillance activities to meet the challenges of a retreating, desperate terrorist army and for the general public to remain acutely aware of security in and around them.
He sympathized with the families of the victims of these incidents as well as the families of others who were killed in similar incidents a few days earlier in Borno State.
Conflicting reports trail the death toll from the multiple bomb explosion which occurred in Maiduguri on Thursday.
Hospital sources say the death toll has risen to 17, but a statement by the Nigerian Army confirms 14 people including 4 suicide bombers dead and 39 others wounded.
The explosions occurred at Sajeri not far away from Ajilari Railway Crossing in Maiduguri on Thursday evening.
The suicide bombers detonated their vests simultaneously.
Three of the terrorists in the same area and the fourth detonated in front of a Mosque.
Reports say the suicide bombers took advantage of a military exercise in the area to carry out the act.
In the statement signed by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman, the Army is appealing to residents, especially those in the affected areas to remain calm and continue to be very vigilant and security conscious as everything necessary is being done to secure their lives and property.
The Ajilari Cross -Gomari Airport area had recently recorded high number of casualties from multiple suicide bombing by suspected Boko Haram insurgents.
Churches planned services on Sunday to offer prayers for the victims of last week’s devastating mudslide in Washington state as the death toll from the disaster kept rising but the number of missing fell sharply.
The presumed body count rose to 28 on Saturday from the March 22 catastrophe northeast of Seattle, with the official tally of those killed now 18 based on bodies extricated and identified by medical examiners.
But despite the grim toll, news also came that the number of missing fell to 30 from 90 as officials were able to account for dozens of people as “safe and well.”
Rescue and recovery workers pushed through wind and rain on Saturday to comb through debris a week after a rain-soaked hillside above the north fork of the Stillaguamish River gave way without warning and sent a wall of mud cascading over dozens of homes near the rural Washington town of Oso.
Churches will lead prayers on Sunday for victims and their families as well as rescue workers who have been searching through a debris field that covers a square mile (2.6 square km).
Gordy Beil, a 63-year-old photographer and painter in Darrington, about 10 miles from Oso, said he anticipated a painful service at the Episcopal church he plans to attend on Sunday morning.
“It will be good for people to go and get what they need to get out of it,” he said.
Don Little, 66, a Redmond, Washington, resident in town to visit his son, said he would attend the Church of God of Prophecy in Darrington, where one of the congregants has a husband among the missing and is having a hard time grasping that he is gone.
Those at the service will be praying both for the miracle of his safety and for the woman’s coming to accept her loss with a measure of peace, Little said.
“She’s still hoping beyond hope that they find him alive, and everybody’s wishing for that,” he said. “Sometimes we don’t get what we really want but we’ve got to learn to accept things.”
Funeral preparations are also beginning for those lost in the tragedy.
At the Weller Funeral Home in the town of Arlington, only a few miles from the site of the mudslide, staff members who typically plan two to three funerals weekly are preparing for 12 this week.
“Some people who have come here, they’ve only found one family member, and they’re now searching for the fourth or fifth or sixth member of the family,” said Diane Wilson-simon, who helps families plan services at the funeral home.
No one has been pulled alive from the rubble since the day the landslide hit, when at least eight people were injured but survived. Rescuers have found no signs of life since then.
Ron Brown, a Snohomish County official involved in search-and-rescue operations, said the debris field may end up being the final resting place for some victims, who may be buried so thoroughly they cannot be found.
“That’s going to be hallowed ground out there,” he said.
In addition to prayers, many are offering donations of money, food, clothing and other items.
At the Weller Funeral Home, Wilson-simon said she had been overwhelmed by the generosity of people who had donated to help pay for victims’ funerals.
“It’s just overwhelming to see so much loss of life, but heartwarming to see so much outpouring of community support,” she said.”
A total of nine individuals have been reported dead following attacks by unknown rebels in Kenya.
At least five people were killed in the coastal town of Kilifi in an attack by unidentified machete-wielding men as voting began in a tense presidential election on Monday, district police said, bringing the death toll in violence on the coast to nine so far.
“Our officers were manning a polling station in Chumani area, Kilifi when they were attacked by a group of youths with pangas (machetes) at around 1 a.m. (2200 GMT). It was an ambush that caught the officers unaware, and as a result five people were killed, two regular police officers, one Kenya Wildlife Service officer and two civilians,” Clement Wangai, Kilifi district police chief, said.