Soldiers Allegedly Supervise Demolition Of Factional Kaduna APC Secretariat

Scene of the demolition

 

The factional secretariat of the Kaduna State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) located along number 11 B Sambo in the state capital has been demolished in the early hours of today (Tuesday).

Party sources told Channels Television that the secretariat belongs to the faction loyal to the suspended senators representing Kaduna Central, Shehu Sani and that of Kaduna North zone, Suleiman Hunkuyi.

The demolition order was allegedly carried out by a bulldozer, accompanied by military personnel.

It was opened last week as a parallel State APC office due to the inability of the group to reconcile with the State party organ.

The property, a one storey duplex was said to belong to Senator Hunkuyi before it was converted to a State Party Secretariat last week.

On Sunday, the group held a meeting at the Secretariat, where they claimed to be the recognized state chapter by the APC national leadership.

But reacting, the State Urban Planning and Development Agency (KAPSUDA) said the building was removed for “flagrant violations of land use and non-payment of ground rent since 2010.”

KAPSUDA’s Director-General, Ibrahim Husseini defended the demolition as he said the move was facilitated with assistance from sister agencies aimed at restoring “order” across the state.

“This morning a building on 11B Sambo Close was removed for flagrant violations of land use and non-payment of ground rent since 2010,” he said.

“The Kaduna State Urban Planning and Development Agency (KAPSUDA is currently undertaking operations across Kaduna metropolis in compliance with its mandate.”

This illegal violation of use, he explained, had begun to distress neighbours who were being forced to endure an influx of thugs and blockage of the road.

Husseini further reiterated the determination of the state government in discharging its responsibility on land matters in the state.

To this end, he called for the utmost cooperation by the public with all our agencies.

 

Residents Lament As Bayelsa Govt Demolishes Illegal Structures

The Bayelsa State Environmental Sanitation Board today began the destruction of illegal structures along the only highway that leads into the state capital.

According to the officials, the structures are not befitting of a state capital but the owners have been venting their anger and pleading for more time to move their wares.

The traders and other occupants of the structures had been given an order to vacate the area since January, but they did not obey it, according to the government.

As the bulldozers rolled in on Saturday to rid the area of the structures, some of the occupants insisted that the exercise took them by surprise and that they were not informed.

“They did not inform me. I did not hear anything; I am just seeing this today,” one of the traders said while crying. “I don’t have a husband, I don’t have anything.”

Others called for more time to relocate.

“They should give us a little time so that we can put ourselves together and look for another place,” another trader said.

While some pleaded for mercy, some were angry at the implication of the exercise for them.

A young trader who sold building materials and water tanks was one of those angered by the development.

“Where will I drop all these goods?” he asked. “At least, they should give us at least from now until next year. This notice was not the one issued to us from January. Look at my own store here, they didn’t write anything to me.”

The government officials, however, insisted that the order must be carried out since the notice to that effect had been given more than eight months ago.

Chairman of the Sanitation Authority, Mr Robert Enogha, said, “In January this year, we started marking (the structures). Then from April, we started giving abatement notices. Conscious of the fact that things are hard, (and) relocation is also very hard, we gave that grace and I think the grace is overwhelming us. This is September already – we have entered the ‘ember months’,” he said, adding that the demolition was supposed to have started 14 days after marking the structures.

“Conscious of the fact that things are hard, (and) relocation is also very hard, we gave that grace and I think the grace is overwhelming us. This is September already – we have entered the ‘ember months’.” he said, adding that the demolition was supposed to have started 14 days after marking the structures.

Ancha said the demolition was supposed to have started 14 days after marking the structures.

According to the demolition team, the structures are defacing the Bayelsa State capital and can as well be a hideout for criminals.

Benue Flood: Minister Backs State Government On Demolition Of Illegal Structures

The Minister of State for Environment, Mr. Ibrahim Jibril, has supported the Benue State Government on the plan to demolish structures and buildings in the state, constructed on waterways and affecting the free flow of water.

Jubril also appealed to owners of the illegal structures to cooperate with the Benue State government as the demolition is for the goodwill of all Benue residents and to prevent reoccurrence of the flood disaster in the state.

The Minister made this appeal while inspecting most areas hit by the Benue flooding and during a visit to the camp provided for people displaced by the flood. It will be Various communities in Benue State were wreaked by flooding after a heavy downpour, a week ago leaving more than 100,000 people displaced, over 2,000 homes ravaged and many hectares of farm lands destroyed.

It will be recalled that various communities in Benue State were flooded after a heavy downpour, a week ago, leaving more than 100,000 people displaced, over 2,000 homes ravaged and many hectares of farm lands destroyed.

READ ALSO: Flooding: Benue Govt Seeks Funds From Federal Government

The Minister, lamenting over the aftermath of the flooding said, “I am told that there are about 1,000 children, 6,00 families and 9,00 pregnant women in this camp. It is distressing for them to leave their belongings and property to come and live in this camp.”

He, however, called for cooperation from Benue residents concerning the planned demolition.

“People build on these waterways and tend to block channels. This is a big task for the State Urban  Development Board. It is not going to be easy for the state government because they will be under attack.

“People build on these waterways and tend to block channels. This is a big task for the State Urban  Development Board. It is not going to be easy for the state government because they will be under attack, but it is going to be for the common good of the people.”

Ogun Government Demolishes Over 360 Shanties, Illegal Structures

The Ogun State government has demolished more than 360 shanties and illegal structures as part of efforts to address the security challenges in the state.

The state Commissioner for Urban and Regional Planning, Mrs Ronke Shokefun, while monitoring the exercise at the Sagamu end of the Ore/Sagamu Expressway said the indiscriminate parking of trailers and erection of shanties remained a crime punishable under the state laws.

According to Shokefun, the demolition exercise is aimed at checking the impunity with which people erect illegal structures across the state.

She said, “It’s been long coming. As you can see, they are mostly shacks; they are illegal structures. It (the demolition) won’t have become this extensive if they (the illegal structures) hadn’t become a menace.

“Trucks park here overnight – from a couple of hours into the night you start seeing them and sometimes it’s a total blockade and people travelling either towards Ijebu Ode or coming out of there, heading towards Lagos sometimes can’t even pass.

“So, it has become a menace, a security threat, to citizens. As you know, the first responsibility of the governor is the security of lives and properties. So, we took that decision at the Executive Council meeting to clear this place and naturally, it falls within the purview of the Ministry of Urban and Regional Planning.”

As the bulldozers moved in, shop and shanty owners made last-ditch efforts to salvage some of their wares and property.

While some of those affected claimed they were not properly informed of the exercise, the government said due notice had been given and that the structures had been marked for demolition for a long time.

Shokefun, who said the exercise would bring sanity back to the environment, added that the government had made arrangements to relocate those affected by the exercise.

“The government’s plan is to build malls all over the place, rows of shops. But you see, you don’t take the laws into your hands pending that time,” she said, adding, “I know the government is working assiduously with the Ministry of Housing to quickly create something.”

The commissioner appealed to the traders affected to cooperate with the government as impunity and activities harmful to the environment would no longer be taken lightly by the government.

FG To Demolish Structures Around Powerlines Nationwide

FG Set To Demolish Structures Around High Tension CablesThe Federal Government says it will soon embark on a nationwide demolition of structures built under high tension cables in order to forestall deaths resulting from electrocution, with Cross River as a pivot state.

The Minister of Works Power and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, disclosed this to journalists in Calabar, the Cross River State capital, while on a visit to victims of Thursday’s tragedy at a football viewing Centre.

The Minister, who was represented by the Managing Director, Nigerian Electricity Management Service Agency (NEMSA), Peter Ewesor, was also accompanied to the state by the MD Power Consortium LTD, Matthew Eberbie.

The purpose of the visit was to carry out a thorough investigation to ascertain what could have led to the disaster and profer safety measures to avoid a recurrence.

The group also proceeded to the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital where most of the victims are presently undergoing treatment.

READ ALSO:

Many Football Fans Electrocuted At Calabar Viewing Centre