Air Force Plane Crashes In Hong, Adamawa State

Air ForceAn Aircraft, NAF 801, belonging to the Nigerian Air Force, has crashed in Hong, Adamawa State.

The Director, Defence Information, Colonel Abubakar Rabe, confirmed this to Channels Television.

The plane was said to be returning from an interdicted mission when it went down due to bad weather.

Only the pilot is said to have died in the accident.

The Chief of Air Staff has set up a panel to investigate the cause of the crash.

In August, a Dornier 228 light aircraft belonging to the Nigerian Air Force had also crashed in Kaduna, Northwest Nigeria.

The aircraft was said to be on its way to Abuja after taking off from the Air Force Base in Kaduna when it crashed at the old site of the Nigerian Defence Academy less than ten minutes after it took off.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshall Sadique Abubakar said at the time that he had set up an investigation panel to look into the cause of the crash.

Military Says Four Soldiers Did Not Die In Nembe Jetty Attack

BayelsaThe military in Nigeria says no soldier died in the attack on locations of a Joint Task Force in Nembe Jetty in Bayelsa State thought to have been carried out by suspected oil bunkerers.

Earlier reports had put the number of casualties in the incident at five, claiming four soldiers and a police officer were killed in the attack.

The Director Defence Information, Colonel Rabe Abubakar, told reporters on Monday that the figure was not real  and that “the military did not suffer any casualty in the incidence”.

He said that six persons had been arrested and were being interrogated over the incident.

According to Colonel Abubakar, condone and search exercise was ongoing in the general area covering Nembe in the southern Nigerian state.

The Defence Headquarters, on August 8, confirmed the attack on the military formation in Nembe Jetty, near Ogolomabiri Community.

The suspected oil bunkerers attacked the location on Friday night.

‘Ugly Incidence’

In a statement on Saturday, the Defence Headquarters said that “the Joint Task Force Operation PULO SHIELD has moved into action to arrest and apprehend the perpetrators of this unpatriotic and callous attacks.

The military said it would deal decisively with anybody or group involved in the incident and similar acts of attacks or sabotage on the nation’s economy.

Army Foils Terrorist Plot To Cause Havoc In Maiduguri

Boko haram counter-terrorism forcesThe Defence Headquarters on Thursday said that a plot by the terrorist group, Boko Haram, to use two female suicide bombers to cause havoc in Maiduguri was foiled by troops, who successfully dislodged the terrorists.

Security sources revealed that two female suicide bombers detonated bombs, ahead of their attack on Ladi Kayamla near Maiduguri the Borno State capital, on Wednesday, with a plan to follow up with an attack but were swiftly routed by the Nigerian Army in the area.

The military added that the attack, which was apparently diversionary with the intention of slowing down the ongoing assault on Sambisa forest, was believed to have been carried out by terrorists escaping from their destroyed camp.

However, the Director, Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, who confirmed the incident reassured that normalcy had been restored, adding that the army have conducted mop up operation of the area.

Members of the terrorist group, Boko Haram, had launched an attack on Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, northeast Nigeria.

Our correspondent in Maiduguri, Blessing Tunor, confirmed that there were heavy gunshots, adding that residents in the state scampered to their homes when they got wind of the attack, while those living close to Giwa Barracks ran in different directions to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

The Boko haram militants have suffered losses in recent times, following a fresh onslaught by the Nigerian military, leading to the recapture of territories formerly controlled by the insurgents and the rescue of over a thousand people held in captivity in various locations in the northeast, many of them women and children.

Only recently, the military announced that it had raided Sambisa Forest, believed to be the last stronghold of the terrorists, and rescued numerous women and children as well.

FG Expresses Possibility of Negotiation With Boko Haram

sd_mike_omeri_on_making_the_foi_act_work_201212The Federal Government has not ruled out the possibility of entering a negotiation with the Islamist sect, Boko Haram to secure the release of the abducted school girls.

Addressing journalists in Abuja, the Director General of the National Orientation Agency, Mr Mike Omeri said that the federal government is studying a video purportedly from the sect, showing the Chibok school girls.

He also noted that the “government will continue to explore all options for the release and safe return of our girls back to their homes” and asked Nigerians to disregard an “earlier report by a section of the media purported to have been issued by government”.

The Director, Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade added that the military is carrying out surveillance of the area and offering intelligence support to the joint task force in the north east.

Major-General Olukolade also presented a video of the military surveillance of the area.

Boko Haram: Adamawa Governor Cuts Short Visit To Shuwa

There was pandemonium in Shuwa, in Michika Local Government of Adamawa State on Friday when sporadic gunshots from a nearby village purportedly forced the State Governor, Murtala Nyako to abort his scheduled visit to Shuwa town.

Shuwa is one of the four villages raided on Wednesday by insurgents, and over six people were reported killed.

Governor Nyako and his team were on condolence visit when gunmen suspected to be members of the sect allegedly opened fire, forcing the Governor and his delegation to retreat.

Addressing journalists in Yobe, the Governor criticized the Federal Government over what he called continued raids by the members of the sect, which the military authorities seem to have no answers to.

According to him, “there is no excuse whatsoever. We want to know what is happening, we should be able to know where these arms are manufactured and even the signatures of the weapon.”

Meanwhile, the Director Defence Information, Major-General Olukolade, in a statement, has described the claim as “an unsubstantiated report that should be disregarded.”

He said: “The truth is that the governor visited Michika and Shuwa areas of Yobe State to sympathise with the communities that were attacked by terrorists and while returning, the convoy came across a noticeable alarm raised by some people who had mistaken a military convoy on patrol at Kirchinga village, for another impending attack by terrorists.”

Major General Olukolade said that the troops had discovered an entry and exit point of terrorists into the country through the state and was working on blocking it.

He assured the community of their safety as normalcy had returned.

Boko Haram:JTF To Hand Over Mission To Nigerian Army

The command of the ongoing internal security operations in the North East will tomorrow, (Monday) enter a new phase as the control of the mission reverts to the Army Headquarters, a statement by the Director, Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Chris Olukolade said.

The statement added “Accordingly, a new army Division has been created and will take off to continue the counter-insurgency operation with immediate effect”.

“Coming three months into the mission to stamp out terrorism in the North East, this development is in line with the plans laid out for the conduct of the operations to execute the mandate spelt out in the State of Emergency declaration by the President, Commander-in-Chief” the statement said.

Olukolade further said “The phase being concluded on Monday was executed by a Joint Task Force composed by troops drawn from the Services of the Armed Forces as well as other security agencies who conducted Operation BOYONA”.

Code-named Operation BOYONA, an acronym derived from the names of the 3 states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa covered by the State of Emergency declaration, “the effort was meant to constitute the first phase of the counter-terrorists operation”.

The Nigerian Army will now be solely in charge of the operations, but still under the routine guidance of the Defence Headquarters.

A General Officer Commanding (GOC), in the rank of Major General is being proposed to command the new Division which will have its Headquarters in Maiduguri.  He is due to take over Command and the assets of the Headquarters of the Joint Task Force.

The new Division is to continue with the conduct of counter-terrorists operations in the North East which comes under its area of Responsibility.