Channels Television in conjunction with Deutsche Welle Television has launched a joint production of an environmental programme called [email protected] at the Transcorp Hotel in Abuja at 6:00pm on Saturday.
[email protected] will report on innovations and best-practice guidelines in Africa and Europe and will present ideas on environmental protection from all over the world.
It will focus on the preservation of biological diversity, the utilization of national resources, energy sources of tomorrow and the mobility of the future.
The magazine is designed to be interactive; readers will be able to contribute their own ideas by uploading stories, photos and videos to social media.
Today’s launch follows the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) by the Chairman of Channels Television, Mr John Momoh and DW’s Director General, Peter Limbourg in Paris last year.
Speaking on our breakfast show, Sunrise this morning, the Director General of DW, Peter Limbourg said that the programme is a massive one and the door is open for countries with like minds.
Join us on Channels TV on Saturdays at 16:30 WAT and on DW on Saturdays at 06:30, 14:30 and 20:30 UTC, Mondays at 11:30 UTC.
The presenter of [email protected] is Nneota Egbe, a graduate of geography, who has spent the past seven years as an anchor, reporter and producer for Channels Television in Lagos, Nigeria.
The Kaduna State Government says no fewer than 347 dead bodies were given a mass burial after the violence clash between members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria and the Nigerian Army which occurred in Zaria on December 12, 2015.
The Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Balarabe Lawal, gave the testimony when he appeared before the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the State government to investigate the cause of the incident.
Although members of the group have maintained that corpses of the victims were secretly buried at an unidentified cemetery by the Army, this is the first time the state government is giving an information about how the remains of the killed Shiites were disposed.
Members of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry investigating the December 2015 bloody clash held their session at the General Usman Katsina House, with submissions made by witnesses to the incident.
The commission has so far received submissions from the Nigerian Army, but Tuesday session featured some officials of the Kaduna State government led by the SSG.
While making his submission, Mr Lawal said that 191 corpses were taken from the Nigerian Army Depot, Zaria, and were later buried at Mando area in the outskirt of the state capital.
He further told the commission that another 156 corpses were also conveyed from the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH), Zaria, to the same Mando cemetery for mass burial.
The State government said the corpses were committed into a single grave at Mando and jointly supervised by the State government officials and about 40 men of the Nigerian Army.
The SSG informed the panel that 189 suspects were being prosecuted for alleged involvement in the Zaria clash while one of them died in custody.
On the alleged demolition of buildings and structures of the IMN leader, Sheik El-Zakzaky and other members, the SSG explained that the buildings were demolished because they did not meet up government’s approved building safety standards.
Counsels to the commission, JNI and Nigerian Army cross examined the SSG on the submission.
Another witness and Director-General, Kaduna State Interfaith Agency, Namadi Musa, who claimed he supervised the burial, said the corpses were buried on December 14 and 15 respectively, and that the mass burial was authorised through a warrant of burial obtained from a Chief Magistrates Court in the state capital,
Another witness, a representative of the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Professor Adamu Ahmed, who is the Deputy Chief Medical Director, narrated how armed soldiers invaded the hospital, prevented the workers from discharging their duties and also carted away corpses from the hospital’s mortuary.
The Justice Muhammed Lawal-Garba’s panel also received submissions from the Izala Islamic group and the Gyellesu Community in Zaria.
Shiites Funded By Iranian Government
The elder brother of the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, Muhammad Sani Yaqoob, in his submission, commended the actions taken by the Nigerian Army in the December clash between soldiers and the Shiites in Zaria which he said was caused by the group who blocked the convoy of the Chief of Army Staff.
Speaking in Hausa language, he alleged that the movement got funding from the Iranian government, and had been harassing and intimidating residents of Zaria and Kaduna state over the years.
Although members of the Islamic movement in Nigeria and their lawyers have withdrawn further appearance before the panel, a statement issued by their spokesman after the proceedings, said the recent revelations made by Kaduna State government through the SSG had clearly vindicated them from any wrong doing.
The public hearing will continue for the next three weeks and members of the public are anxiously awaiting the outcome and recommendations that would be made by the commission.
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Mr Tijjani Mohammed Abdullahi as the Director-General in the Budget office.
Mr Abdullahi is a fellow of the Certified National Accountants of Nigeria and a banker.
He will replace the current Director-General, Budget, Mr Yahaya Gusau.
A statement by a spokesman for the President said the new Director-General, Budget, would work with the Minister of Budget and National Planning to efficiently deliver on the mandates of the Budget Office of the Federation.
The statement further read: “President Buhari has also approved the appointment of Mr Ben Ifeanyi Akabueze as the Special Adviser on Planning to the President.
“Mr Akabueze who is the immediate past Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget in Lagos State, has worked in senior management positions in Citi Bank, Fidelity Bank, United Bank for Africa, NAL Merchant Bank, Sterling Bank and BIA Consulting Limited, among others”.
The new Special Adviser on Planning is Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers; Fellow, Institute of Credit Administrators and Honorary Fellow, Chartered Institute of Bankers.
Channels Television and Germany’s international broadcaster, Deutsche Welle, will jointly produce a new environmental magazine – [email protected]
The chairmen of both organisations signed an agreement at the Paris climate talks on Wednesday.
The new TV magazine called [email protected] will be jointly produced in Berlin and Lagos.
It will focus on the particular challenges that environmental problems pose for Nigeria and Africa.
First Real Co-production
Channels TV chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Mr John Momoh, stressed the link between the two broadcasters, which had earlier signed an agreement to share programmes.
“This emphasises the strong partnership between Deutsche Welle and Channels TV. Together we will inform about the great efforts to protect the environment.”
For DW, Germany’s international broadcaster, the joint production of a TV magazine across continents is the first cooperation of this kind.
The chairman of DW, Mr Peter Limbourg, said: “This is the first real co-production with Africa. Produced in Lagos and Berlin and aired by Deutsche Welle and Channels TV, this is an important step for us because it is a real collaboration”.
Also at the signing, which took place at the German Pavillion in Le Bourget, were Nigeria’s Minister of Environment, Amina Mohammed and the German Federal Environment Minister, Barbara Hendricks.
Mrs Hendricks hailed the cooperation, saying ‘it is an example of the joint national efforts that are required to combat global warming’.
“Climate change challenges us all. We have to overcome this challenge together. And what could be better than deeper insights about each other. I am delighted about this new program by Deutsche Welle and Channels TV which showcases successful environmental projects,” Hendricks said at the event on the sidelines of the COP21 climate talks in Paris on Wednesday.
Ms Mohammed, highlighted the role of the media as a vital communicator.
“The media plays an incredibly important role in communicating information about collective environmental efforts. I am very happy about this new program, particularly as Africans are heavily threatened by climate change but they are also the least informed,” she said.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday decorated brave war heroes with a Purple Heart medal, an award given to troops who fought for six months under ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’.
The decoration of the soldiers took place in Yola, during President Buhari’s visit to the State.
President Buhari, on arrival, was received at the Yola International Airport by the Governor of Adamawa State, Senator Mohammad Umaru Jibrilla, the Speaker of the House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara and other dignitaries including a former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar.
The President inspected a guard of honour by the 23rd Armoured Brigade of the Nigeria Army after which he was invited by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai, to present the medals to the wounded soldiers.
After decorating the soldiers with the medals, President Buhari expressed his confidence on their ability to end the activities of Boko Haram terrorists in the oil-rich nation’s north-east.
Visit To IDPs Camp In Yola
After the medal presentation, the President visited the Malkohi Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Yola in the southern part of Adamawa State.
He told the IDPs that the Boko Haram terrorists do not represent any religion, stressing that the terror group is set to disintegrate Nigeria.
President Buhari described the condition of the IDPs as unfortunate and called on them to remain calm, as the government was working towards returning them to their homes.
The President said: “The government is proactive about rebuilding your Schools, hospitals and homes”.
The chairman of IDPs in Malkohi IDPs camp, Mr Nicholas Samuel, thanked the Federal and State governments for coming to their aid and appealed to the President to facilitate their return to their homes.
Governor Jibrilla had earlier told the President that one of the major concerns of the State government was the welfare and wellbeing of the displaced persons.
The Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr Sani Sidi, told the President that at present, the camp had 80 pregnant women and 175 unaccompanied children.
Officials of the Nigeria Export Promotion Council are looking at ways of reviewing the European Union’s ban of products from Nigeria.
Issues of poor packaging, non-adherence to food safety measures and non-compliance to administrative procedure had characterised product export from Nigeria to countries in Europe.
The Executive Director of the Nigeria Export Promotion Council, Mr Olusegun Awolowo, said the ban, according to a report from the World Bank, could lead to a drop of over $6 billion exportable goods from developing countries by 2016.
Announcing the ban, the European Food Safety Authority said that the food substances were banned because they contained ‘a high level of unauthorised pesticide’.
The food items banned till 2016 include, beans, sesame seeds, melon seeds, dried fish and meat, peanut chips and palm oil.
According to the EU, Nigeria’s beans was banned because it contained between 0.03mg per kg to 4.6mg/kg of dichlorvos pesticide when the acceptable maximum residue limit is 0.01mg/kg.
The Director-General, National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, Paul Orhii, blamed exporters for the ban.
He said they had failed to comply with regulatory requirements for semi-processed and processed commodities.
His invitation for questioning followed allegations of supplies made at NAFDAC, linked to his personal company.
He was granted administrative bail, but he is expected to re-appear before the EFCC.
‘Unsubstantiated, Mindless And Spurious’
In reaction to claims that he was arrested, Mr Orhii in a statement by his Director of Special Duties, Abubakar Jimoh, denied being arrested by the EFCC, saying he went there on his own volition.
He explained that a former Director of Finance and Accounts of NAFDAC, Mr Demola Mogbojuri, had initiated a corruption allegation against him and that the claims were ‘unsubstantiated, mindless and spurious’.
Mr Orhii said that there was nothing unusual about his visit to the office of the anti-graft body.
He is the latest high-profile Nigerian that the EFCC has invited for questioning over allegations of corrupt practices since President Muhammadu Buhari took over office on May 29.
On July 28 the wife of the Senate President, Toyin Saraki, was at the headquarters of the EFCC for questioning over an alleged case of corruption.
After about five hours with the officials of the anti-graft agency indoors, Mrs Saraki left the premises with her supporters.
Earlier on July 8 the Former Head of Service of the Federation, Mr Steve Oronsaye, was arrested by the EFCC and was few days later brought before Justice Gabriel Kolawole of the Federal High Court Abuja, to answer charges of corruption, bordering on 1.2 billion Naira fraud.
The Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Al-Hassan Yakmut, has confirmed that the delayed 2014 edition of the National Sports Festival will be held after the All Africa Games (AAG) 2015.
Mr Yakmut while speaking on Channels Television’s sports programme, Sports Tonight, identified funding as a major problem that had stalled the event.
He said the commission was working towards a public-private partnership, as they await a positive response from the supposed 2014 festival host, Cross River State Government.
Yakmut was the Director of Grassroots Sports Development Department of the National Sports Commission before he took over from Honorable Gbenga Elegbeleye in May 2015.
Meanwhile, the AAG 2015 will run between September 4 and 15 in Brazzaville, Congo, and the Director General is optimistic that everything needed for the national games would be ready after the All Africa Games.
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has stressed the need for inter-agency collaboration in order to win the war against drug abuse and illicit trafficking in Nigeria.
The collaboration is to scale up its (NDLEA) control from small traffickers to medium and high level traffickers of illicit drugs.
The Director General of the NDLEA, Mrs Roli Bode-George, made the call in Abuja on Friday at an event to mark this year’s International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
Effective Criminal Justice System
According to the NDLEA boss, illicit drug trafficking and abuse has continued to thrive, despite government’s efforts to curb the menace.
Drug abuse and illicit trafficking of narcotics have continued to thrive in Nigeria in the face of several interceptions and destruction of illicit drugs and arrests in the last two years by the agency.
Meanwhile, the United Nations office on drug and crime says effective criminal justice system and provision of alternative jobs for producers of narcotics are needed for effective control of illicit drugs.
Some Nigerian volunteer health workers sent to Sierra Leone and Liberia to help curb the spread of Ebola have returned with complaints about poor welfare, neglect by the Federal Government and lack of quarantine before mixing with the public.
According to the volunteers, they were neither isolated from the public for 21 days as recommended by the W.H.O, nor were they paid their full allowances by the Nigerian Government and the African Union, the two principal bodies responsible for the exercise.
Beside these complaints against the government, the Centre for Disease Control is also accused of embezzling over 28 million naira during the fight against Ebola in Nigeria.
Meanwhile, officials of the centre have rejected the claims of financial misappropriation and poor welfare for volunteers.
According to its Director-General, Professor Abdulsalami Nasidi , the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control followed due process in handling the cases of the returnees.
The African Union appealed to Nigeria to send volunteers to help curb the spread of Ebola in the two countries who were still struggling with the spread of the disease after Nigeria was declared Ebola free by the World Health Organization in October 2014.
The 185 volunteers spent six months on the assignment.