Haiti Death Toll Rising After Hurricane Matthew

Haiti, Hurricane, Hurricane Matthew, The Caribbean, Humanitarian Crisis
Rescue efforts have been confined to urban areas

There are fears that the death toll in the wake of Hurricane Matthew which left behind widespread destruction in Haiti will continue to rise.

This comes as rescue and aid workers are finding it very difficult to reach the worst-hit areas with reports saying at least 336 people have died since the Category 4 hurricane hit Haiti.

A CNN Correspondent in Port-au-Prince, Shasta Darlington says “the death toll is rising on an hourly basis as aid workers and authorities get into these really hard-hit regions.”

Haiti Civil Protection Service spokesman, Joseph Edgard Celestin, said four people are still missing, with 211 people injured and more than 60,000 people displaced.

A death toll count reported by Reuters put the death toll well over 800. The count is reportedly based on figures from local officials.

UN authorities last week said the hurricane is the country’s worst humanitarian crisis since the 2010 earthquake that shook the country to its knees.

Adamawa Government To Take Care Of Attack Victims

AdamawaThe Adamawa State government says it is making sure that the survivors of Sunday’s terrorist attacks are taken care of.

The Commissioner for Information, Mr Ahmad Sajoh, made this declaration while speaking about the deadly attacks on some villages in Girei Local Government Area of Adamawa State in northeast Nigeria.

According to the Commissioner, while government is saddened by the development, it wants the people of the state to allow the Police to conduct their investigation instead of speculating.

He said that the government is trying its best possible to find a solution to the present situation but this requires a lot of diplomacy.

“This things require a lot of tact and diplomacy and we are doing that because whenever there is an aggression, there are people who also are aggrieved and something must be done to placate their grieve and that is what the government is doing right now.

“We understand that there are some displaced people’s (IDP) camps in places like Boro, we have dispatched a team of our own humanitarian agency to go and check what is going on,” he said.

While expressing grief over the attacks, Mr Sajoh said that there were chances that it could be the result of a communal clash.

He maintained that the Adamawa State government would wait for the report of investigations and findings by the security agencies before taking further steps.

“We are not deciding on anything for now. We are waiting for security agencies to give us the exact report on their investigations and their findings,” he said.

Ports Authority Donates Relief Items To Displaced Bakassi Indigenes

A delegation of management of the Nigerian Ports Authority led by political leader of the displaced people, Senator Florence Ita-Giwa, visited the displaced people of Bakassi, who have been forced to take shelter in schools, donating relief materials to them.

The group visited the refugee camp at Saint Marks Nursery and Primary school, Akwa Ikot Eyo Edem in Akpabuyo Local Government Area of Cross River State with relief materials worth millions of naira to the victims.

While addressing the gathering, Senator Ita-Giwa called on the federal government to hasten the process of rehabilitating the displaced people to a home they can call their own as part of recommendations submitted by the committee it set up to look into their plights.

She assured the people of her continuous cries to the federal government and the international community in ensuring that, a permanent succor comes their way soon.

The NPA representative and Calabar port manager, Mr Musa Wada, disclosed that the gesture to the displaced people is fulfilling part of the authority’s corporate responsibility to provide succor to needy citizens.

He assured of continuous support from the authority and also beckoned on the federal government to take their plight into serious consideration and proffer a permanent solution.

The refugees have been displaced for five months.

Relief materials donated included food items, toiletries, provisions, bedding’s, among others.

Flood sacks 14 communities; displaces 25, 000 persons in Benue

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Thursday said over 25, 000 persons have been displaced by flood in 14 communities in Benue State following the overflow of river Benue.

Yushau Shuaib, NEMA’s Head Public Relations, in a press statement sent to Channels Television, said the agency had reached out to areas that are threatened by flood yet “some of the communities at risk have remained adamant even as over 25, 000 persons in 14 communities were displaced in Benue State following the overflow of river Benue.

“Also, thousands of residents in Kaduna metropolis have been displaced by flood from Kaduna River and some communities in Kano State submerged after the collapse of Warawa dam.

“Similarly, more areas along the plains of River Benue and River Niger have remained under the threat of flood from the unprecedented rise of water in the upstream dams,” the statement said.

The NEMA spokesman said the agency is working with the Benue State government and others in the establishment of three camps for the displaced persons while officials have mobilized to the other areas that are also affected by the disaster including Bauchi State.

Mr Shuaib said “the agency has contacted the relevant States Governors and stakeholders as well as launched a series of awareness campaigns and advocacy to sensitize the vulnerable communities on measures to be taken. However, some of the communities have remained adamant not to move to any place of safety and resigned their fate to the act of God.

Meanwhile, authorities at the Jebba hydroelectric dam has began discrete release of the excess water from the dam to safeguard the facility.

The Chief executive officer of the hydroelectric power plant, Lamu Audu attributed the high water level to excessive rainfall this year.

An assessment team comprising officers of NEMA and the stakeholders including the line ministries visited the dam and some of the threatened communities in Kwara and Niger States.

NEMA’s Director of Planning Research and Forecasting, Charles Agbo who led the team expressed satisfaction with the manner which the excess water is being managed.

During the visit to Jebba and Old Jebba which are the two immediate communities located at the downstream of the dam, Mr Agbo advised the residents in the communities to relocate to the higher grounds for safety.