2019: Atiku Asks Buhari To Sign Electoral Act Amendment Bill

The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to sign the Electoral Act Amendment Bill into law.

Atiku made this call in Abuja while signing the peace accord initiated by the National Peace Committee.

The PDP presidential candidate applauded President Buhari’s decision to sign the peace treaty.

However, he was unhappy that President Buhari declined to sign the Bill which was recently passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

He said, “I am delighted that Mr President has agreed to sign this peace accord, but we want to appeal to him to also sign the electoral act amendment bill.

“Mr President needs to understand that as long as he refuses to sign this bill, we will have doubts that this government is truly committed to a free fair and credible elections.”

Similarly, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili called on President Buhari to append his signature to the passing into law of the electoral act amendment bill.

Ezekwesili, the Presidential Candidate of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, made the call while signing the peace accord in Abuja on Wednesday.

She said, “The first thing that the President needs to do in order to build trust amongst all candidates in the election is to sign the electoral amendment bill 2018 into an act”.

The ACPN presidential candidate had previously condemned the President’s decision to decline assent to the Bill.

President Muhammadu Buhari had refused to sign the bill last week on the grounds that it would cause confusion if it becomes law and is used for the 2019 elections.

The President stated that and other reasons for his decision in letters sent to the leadership of both chambers of the National Assembly.

Reps To Probe Ezekwesili’s Allegation

The House of Representatives has mandated its committees on Finance and Appropriation to investigate allegations and counter allegations by the former Minister of Education, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili and the federal government.

In a motion presented by Mr. Umar Bature, the lawmakers decided to wade into the on-going war of words between the federal government and Dr Ezekwesili over allegations that the administration of the late Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and President Goodluck Jonathan squandered $45 billion foreign reserve.

She had alleged that the squandering of $45 billion in the foreign reserve and another $22 billion in the excess crude account from increased earnings from crude oil, which the Obasanjo administration handed over to the successor administration has worsened poverty in the country.

Mr. Bature asked the House to conduct an investigation into the matter, noting that Dr Ezekwesili as a Special Adviser to a former President was in the position to know the status of the country’s foreign reserve during that period.

We Have Nothing To Do With Henry Okah’s Conviction – FG

The Federal Government has dissociated itself from the conviction of Henry Okah, the leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) by a South African court following threats by the group to resume hostilities.

The government insisted that this is not the time to threaten Nigeria but to stand up in unity for it.

The embattled leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, who was recently convicted in South Africa for masterminding the 2010 Independence Day bombing in Abuja.

MEND had allegedly threatened to renew attacks and evolve fresh dimensions to it following the conviction of its leader in South Africa.

In a statement dated January 23, 2013 and signed by one Comrade Azizi, MEND insisted that the conviction of Mr Okah by the South African Court on all 13-count charge of involvement in the 2010 Independence Day bombing in Abuja which killed many people amounted to a betrayal.

It said Nigerians would feel its impact when it eventually commences attacks which it disclosed will not be restricted to the Niger Delta region.
Reacting to this threat, the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku insisted that Mr Okah was tried in South Africa under due process of the law of the country.

He said it was very shocking that any Nigerian or group would take up arms against Nigeria on account of that conviction.

The minister said on the contrary, expectation was that all citizens should show higher level of patriotism. He argued that, “We should not live in a nation where we should abandon the law.”

Mr Maku noted that citizens should understand that the country offers the best opportunity to live in and urged for support for the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.