Kaduna Govt. Releases N116m For Purchase Of Ebola Detecting Equipment

Ebola virusThe Kaduna State Government has released the sum of N116 million for the purchase of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) detecting equipment for the testing of returning students and pupils in private and public schools.

In a statement issued by the state Commissioner for Education, Ibrahim Ali, said that already 13,000 teachers have been trained on prevention of the Ebola virus disease ahead of the September 22, resumption date for primary and post primary schools, while 10,000 thermometers have been purchased for onward distribution to private and primary schools across the 23 Local Government Areas of the state.

Ali, who stressed the need for preventive measures against the spread of the disease, urged participants to ensure strict compliance amongst staff and students.

He said N41 million was earmarked for the training, refreshment and transportation of the teachers, while N75 million was for the purchase of thermometers.

The commissioner said the state government would provide more fund to the education sector, disclosing that the state emerged third nationwide in the 2014 WAEC results.

“We expect to double the money we spend on teachers’ professional development. The magic is for one to train and retrain teachers every year so that they can be up-to-date.

“No matter how you put the structures in the schools, if you don’t have the teaching materials, text books and embark on regular training for teachers, you are not going to record any success.

“So, we are giving priority to the training of teachers so that they can impact more on students’ performance.”

 

FG Clears First Consultants To Re-Open

Empty hospital.......no doctors
Empty hospital…….no doctors

The Federal Government has issued a Certification of Decontamination to First Consultants Medical Centre, the hospital in Lagos which treated Nigeria’s Ebola index case, Patrick Sawyer. They have also been given the permission to re-open for business.

In two letters from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, both parties notified First Consultants that it had been cleared to reopen for business, having undergone three rounds of state-certified decontamination processes.

The Lagos State Government also commiserated with the hospital over the loss of its medical personnel, “who died in the line of duty” and expressed its appreciation for the altruistic role it played in containing and managing the Ebola virus, “thus preventing an epidemic.

“The Ministry is in receipt of a letter dated August 29, 2014, from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Ebola Emergency Centre, Lagos, informing that your facility has had three rounds of state-certified decontamination process.

“The Ministry acknowledges the role your facility played in alerting the State Government of the index case of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) and appreciates your altruistic gestures in containing and managing this dealy virus, thus preventing an epidemic.

“We also commiserate with you on your members of staff who died in the line of duty.

“First Consultants has now been cleared to reopen for business. We hope that with this reopening, your facility will continue to maintain its high quality of standards”, the statement said

First Consultants was shut down and quarantined by the Federal Government on July 26 in line with the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) protocol on the virus, following the death of Sawyer at the hospital on July 25.

The hospital lost a number of its health care workers to the Ebola outbreak, including its Senior Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Dr. A. S. Adadevoh.

8th Ebola Survivor Released In Nigeria

Onyebuchi Chukwu on Ebola Virus.The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, on Wednesday confirmed the release of the 8th Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) survivor in Nigeria, adding that 18 cases have been recorded so far.

The Minister, briefing journalists after the Federal Executive Council meeting, said, “The total number of confirmed cases of Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria is now 18.

“The 18th confirmed case is the sister of the late Port Harcourt doctor,” he said, adding that “the total number of cases successfully managed and discharged is now eight.”

Prof Chukwu also stated that the last case to be discharged, the first secondary contact to be diagnosed and a spouse of a primary contact of the index case, went home from the isolation ward in Lagos on Tuesday, confirming the 9th survivor as “the ECOWAS Commission official who jumped surveillance in Lagos and travelled to Port Harcourt”.

The Minister also confirmed that the total number of deaths from Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria was seven.

“One, the index case, occurred in a private hospital in Lagos, four in the Lagos isolation ward, one in the Port Harcourt isolation ward (the female patient who was on admission in the same hospital where the late Port Harcourt doctor was also admitted), while another one (1) was the doctor who was infected by the ECOWAS Commission official in Port Harcourt and who did not come under the care and management of the Incident Management Committee”, he said.

He added that two EVD patients were currently under treatment in the Lagos and Port Harcourt isolation wards.

“Total number of contacts currently under surveillance in Lagos is 41, while Port Harcourt has 255.

“Total number of contacts discharged in Lagos after they were observed for 21 days is 320”, he said.

The Minister also debunked rumours of EVD cases outside Lagos and Port Harcourt and debunked rumours that the body of the late Port Harcourt doctor was transported to Edo or Delta State, insisting that the body has been decontaminated and would be interred in Port Harcourt.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has partnered with the Rivers State Government to contain the spread of EVD in the state.

In a briefing with journalists at the Rivers State Ministry of Health in Port Harcourt, the WHO Country Representative, Mr Rui Vaz, said that WHO was bringing to bear in the fight against the disease, the expert training, assistance and logistical support to achieve containment and to ensure control in the Port Harcourt entry into the state.

 

 

Kaduna Residents Kick Against Proposed Ebola Isolation Centre

ebola, seierra-leone
Ebola Scares Residents

The Fear of contracting the deadly Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) has prompted residents of Down quarters of Kakuri community in Kaduna South Local Government Area of Kaduna State to stage a peaceful protest on Wednesday against the siting of a containment centre for the disease in the area by the state government.

Their protest came, even as the State government had already converted an abandoned Primary Health Centre in the area into an emergency centre for Ebola disease and had begun putting up structures for that purpose.

The village head of the community, Danjuma Musa, expressed the anxiety of the community over the siting of the Ebola centre in the community.

To justify the apprehension of his people about the proposed Ebola centre, the village head pointed out that the proposed centre was located in a high density area.

“The health facility is also located very close to a big market, a railway station and residential areas made up of women and children among others”.

Although there was no confirmed case of the virus infection in Kaduna State, the fear of the community in allowing the government to site the isolation centre very close to residents is hinged on the mode of transmission of the disease.

The largely rural community, which is about five kilometres from the city centre has not known any peace since the intention of the government was made public about two weeks ago.

According to the residents, bringing Ebola centre to such a crowded area will amount to mass murder, as many of them will likely contract the disease. They are appealing to the state government to relocate the proposed centre to a more isolated place where nobody is living.