No Fresh Case Of Ebola In Lagos – LASG

ebola2The Lagos State Government on Wednesday again reiterated that no fresh case of the dreaded Ebola Virus Disease has been found in the State or any part of the country.

According to the Special Adviser to the Governor on Public Health, Dr. (Mrs) Yewande Adeshina, none of the persons said to have come in contact with the late Liberian victim of the Ebola Virus Disease, Mr Pat Sawyer, has manifested unusual body temperature or any other symptom of the dreaded virus.

She explained that all the 59 persons who were in close contact with the deceased Liberian in Nigeria are hale and hearty and have not exhibited any unusual symptoms, just as there has been no case of the dreaded disease from the country’s borders.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner for Information, Lateef Ibirogba, has advised Lagosians to be wary of the activities of fraudsters who are making spurious claims about their ability to provide cure for the Ebola Virus Disease, urging them to always contact health providers to report unusual feelings noticed.

He cautioned the people to desist from sending panicky text messages round about the Ebola Disease that could heighten tension and create anxiety.

He also called on those who want to make cheap money from the case to desist from their strange claims of cure for the disease lest they run afoul of the law, as only medical solutions are known to be appropriate for the disease.

He reminded residents of the state to make use of the emergency phone numbers: 08023169485, 08033086660, 08033065303, 08055281442 and 08055329229 provided to contact health authorities in case anyone with observed symptoms of the Ebola disease is noticed.

The Commissioner further advised residents to observe the highest level of personal environmental hygiene, adding that they should visit hospitals or Primary Health Centres nearest to them to report strange feelings noticed.

Liberia Shuts Schools, Quarantines Communities In Bid To Halt Ebola

ebola2Liberia announced on Wednesday the quarantine of a number of communities and the closure of schools across the country, the toughest measures yet imposed by a West African government in a bid to halt the worst Ebola outbreak on record.

Security forces in Liberia were ordered to enforce the measures, part of an action plan that included placing all non-essential government workers on 30-day compulsory leave.

As of July 23, 672 deaths have been blamed on Ebola in Liberia, neighboring Guinea and Sierra Leone, according to World Health Organisation figures. Liberia accounted for just under one-fifth of those deaths.

“This is a major public health emergency. It is fierce, deadly and many of our countrymen are dying and we need to act to stop the spread,” Lewis Brown, Liberia’s information minister, told Reuters.

“We need the support of the international community now more than ever. We desperately need all the help we can get.”

Referring to the orders issued to the security forces to impose the plan, he added: “We are hoping there will be a level of understanding and that there will not be a need for exceptional force.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Liberian health officials said that an isolation unit for Ebola victims in Liberia’s capital, Monrovia, was overrun with cases and health workers are being forced to treat up to 20 new patients in their homes.

Protests by the local community against the construction of a new isolation unit at Elwa Hospital have ended, said Tolbert Nyenswah, an assistant Minister of Health, but patients with Ebola symptoms will have to wait at home until work is finished.

“The staff here are overwhelmed. This is a humanitarian crisis in Liberia,” Nyenswah told Reuters by telephone. “People are being given care at their homes until we can move them to the new unit.”

Nyenswah said that the suspected patients were being treated by trained medical staff with full protective gear, but it would take at least 24-36 hours to build the new unit.

Initial resistance to building a new isolation unit highlighted the fear and mistrust health workers have faced across West Africa as they battle the outbreak, which has strained the region’s weak health systems.

Dozens of local health workers have died treating patients and two Americans working for Samaritan’s Purse, a U.S. charity operating in Liberia, were infected over the past week.

Samaritans Purse said on Wednesday that Kent Brantly, a doctor working for Samaritan’s Purse, and Nancy Writebol, a colleague who was also volunteering in Liberia, had shown a slight improvement but were still in serious condition.

The organization said that it was withdrawing non-essential staff from the country because of instability and security issues.

American Doctor, Missionary With Ebola Show Improvement

ebolaTwo American aid workers infected with Ebola in Africa while responding to an outbreak of the deadly virus have shown slight improvement but remain in serious condition, a relief organization said on Wednesday.

Dr. Kent Brantly and missionary, Nancy Writebol, were part of a team in Liberia from two North Carolina-based Christian relief groups, Samaritan’s Purse and SIM. The groups plan to evacuate nonessential personnel from Liberia as Ebola cases there mount.

“Because of instability and ongoing security issues in the area, Samaritan’s Purse is making arrangements for nonessential personnel to leave the country,” the organization said in a statement.

There is no known cure for the highly contagious disease, which has killed 672 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since February. The fatality rate of the current Ebola outbreak, the worst on record, is about 60 percent, health officials said.

Writebol, who helped disinfect the protective suits worn by medical personnel such as Brantly inside the isolation ward at a care center in Monrovia, Liberia, is “fighting through” the disease, her son said on Wednesday.

Jeremy Writebol told NBC’s “Today” show that his mother was moving around on her own and receiving a lot of fluids as she is treated in isolation. “She’s working real hard to get through this,” her son said.

Ken Isaacs, a vice president at Samaritan’s Purse, told CNN it was believed that a local staff member had come to work already infected with the virus. That staffer has since died.

“We think it was in the scrub-down area where the disease was passed to both Nancy and Kent,” Isaacs said.

Network Africa: Defining Moments In Egypt And Nigeria

Network AfricaThis edition of Network Africa focuses on major events in Egypt and Nigeria with updates on what the Ebola virus has been doing in other parts of the continent.

The Egyptian Electoral Commission finally releases results of the country’s presidential election and as expected, former Army Chief, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, won with an overwhelming majority.

The world’s most dreaded virus, Ebola, claims more lives in West Africa. The World Health Organisation reveals alarming figures from Guinea.

Back in Nigeria, it has been a horrifying story of an attack in a village near the Borno State capital, Maiduguri.

Enjoy our in-depth analysis, interviews and reports.

 

Guinea’s Capital, Conakry Records First New Ebola Cases

EbolaGuinea’s capital, Conakry has recorded its first new Ebola cases in more than a month, while other previously unaffected areas have also reported infections in the past week.

This is according to the World Health Organisation.

The spread of the two-month-old outbreak, which Guinean authorities earlier said had been contained, risks further complicating the fight against the virus in a region already struggling with weak healthcare systems and porous borders.

Seven confirmed cases and nine suspected cases of Ebola are being dealt with in Sierra Leone.

The announcement comes after the WHO said on Monday that five people had died in the country’s first confirmed outbreak of the virus, signaling a new expansion of the disease which regional officials said had been brought under control.

“For Ebola in Sierra Leone for the last few days we have a total reported of seven confirmed cases and nine suspect cases. All of them are reported in the Koindu district, which is in the Kailahun prefecture which is bordering Guinea, notably bordering Gueckedou, the first site of Ebola in guinea,” said Dr Pierre Formenty from the WHO’s Department for the Control of Epidemic Diseases.

Ebola, a hemorrhagic fever with a fatality rate of up to 90%, is believed to have killed some 185 people in neighbouring Guinea and Liberia since March in the first deadly appearance of the disease in West Africa.

Authorities have identified several ways the virus has been transmitted, but human to human is the most prevalent form.

“We have been able to identify several chains of transmission. One of them starts, I would say, in the forest. But more importantly, this chain of transmission have lasted for six months now, through contact, human to human transmission, and again, through caring of people without precaution, through transmission within health care facilities, and through people attending funeral without precaution and being in contact of people dying of Ebola.”

The West African outbreak spread from a remote corner of Guinea to the capital, Conakry, and into Liberia, causing panic across the region.