Arsenal announced the club’s biggest-ever sponsorship deal on Monday, extending their shirt partnership with Dubai-based airline Emirates by five years.
The Gunners confirmed the branding of Emirates, which began its sponsorship agreement with the north London club in 2006, would continue to feature on the shirts and training kit of all of their teams until the end of the 2023/2024 season.
“Our shirt partnership is the longest-running in the Premier League and one of the longest relationships in world sport,” said Ivan Gazidis, chief executive of the club, who have not given a figure for the deal.
“This mutual commitment is a testimony to the strength and depth of our unique relationship.”
“Emirates are again demonstrating their great belief in our approach and ambition and their significantly increased investment will help us continue to compete for trophies and bring more success to the club and our fans around the world.”
Emirates president Sir Tim Clark said: “Arsenal’s strong appeal and influence around the globe, combined with their ambitions as a club, make them an ideal partner for Emirates, with values that reflect ours as a brand.
“As a long-standing supporter of football, we are passionate about the game and are a proud partner to the team.”
Emirates also has naming rights to the stadium until 2021.
Emirates Airlines said Thursday it has struck a $16 billion deal to buy 36 Airbus A380 superjumbos just days after the European manufacturer said it would have to halt production without new orders.
The company said it had placed firm orders for 20 of the double-decker aircraft with options for a further 16. Deliveries are scheduled to start in 2020.
Emirates is already the world’s biggest customer for the A380 with 101 in its fleet and 41 more firm orders previously placed.
The Dubai-based airline said that with the new order it will have commitments for a total of 178 A380s worth $60 billion.
The deal was expected to be signed during the Dubai Airshow in November but was delayed without any explanation amid reports of tough negotiations.
Instead, Emirates inked a deal to buy 40 Boeing Dreamliners for more than $15 billion.
Airbus’s decision in 2007 to pursue the A380, capable of packing in 853 seats, was diametrically opposed to Boeing’s bet on the Dreamliner, marketed as a more efficient plane that could be used for both medium and long-distance flights.
But the economics of the A380 have proved daunting, with airlines having to fly every flight at full capacity in order to make a profit.
Airbus warned on Monday that it might have to end production of the A380, having booked no new orders for the plane in two years.
It said it regarded Emirates as the only airline with the capacity to place an order of the size required to keep production going.
“We’ve made no secret of the fact that the A380 has been a success for Emirates,” the airline’s chairman and CEO Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum said.
“Our customers love it, and we’ve been able to deploy it on different missions across our network, giving us flexibility in terms of range and passenger mix.”
Emirates operates a fleet of 269 wide-bodied aircraft and flies to 157 destinations.
Wenger Arsene Wenger knows Arsenal cannot afford another slip-up when they face Newcastle at the Emirates Stadium aiming to end a damaging run of three Premier League games without a win.
Wenger’s team played a scoreless draw at West Ham United on Wednesday and is in seventh place going into Saturday’s meeting with Rafael Benitez’s team.
Only one point separates the Gunners from Tottenham Hotspur in fourth, but in what is shaping up to be a tight battle for the Champions League places, Arsenal can ill-afford to drop more points against a struggling team.
The West Ham draw was preceded by a stalemate at Southampton — both games Wenger would have expected to win — reinforcing the view that Arsenal have not yet recovered from the blow of losing to Manchester United at home.
Wenger shuffled his pack for the short trip to West Ham, with both Jack Wilshere and Olivier Giroud making their first Premier League starts of the season.
Wilshere declared himself satisfied with his performance but admitted that he has yet to open talks with the club about an extension to his contract, which runs out at the end of the season.
“There’s not really a date in the diary for talks,” the England midfielder told London’s Evening Standard newspaper.
“At the moment, I’ve just played my first game in the Premier League. I’m concentrating on staying fit and staying in (the) team. That will look after itself and when it’s the right time, I’m sure the boss will pull me (in) so we can have a chat.”
“The games come thick and fast and that’s a good thing because we dropped points tonight (Wednesday) but have the chance to get three points on Saturday,” he added. “We need to recover now and be ready for that.”
– Newcastle struggles –
Newcastle travel to the North London with problems mounting for manager Rafa Benitez.
Even though a £300 million ($403 million) takeover of the club by Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners is set to go through early in the New Year, a battle for Premier League survival threatens to overshadow the arrival of new owners to succeed the unpopular figure of Mike Ashley, the Sport Direct billionaire who is set to relinquish control after a decade in charge at St James’s Park.
The Tynesiders are just a point above the relegation zone after losing seven of their past eight games are in danger of an immediate return to the Championship.
England midfielder Jonjo Shelvey starts a two-match suspension after being sent off in the 1-0 home defeat to Everton, while goalkeeper Karl Darlow is set to drop to the bench after making costly errors in the past two matches.
“I don’t think you can say we’re in a relegation battle at this stage,” said captain Jamaal Lascelles. “Lots of people would probably have been happy with the points tally we are on if they were asked at the start of the season, so I’m not going to say we’re in a relegation battle.
“There have been a few home truths said in the dressing room, because we don’t want to leave it too late for things like that to be said. The reality is we’re not in a great position and sometimes things need to be said that players don’t want to hear. Hopefully, we’ll get a reaction against Arsenal.”
Despite back-to-back Premier League defeats Arsene Wenger insists his Arsenal side are still in the Premier League title race.
The Gunners are 12 points behind leaders Chelsea with 14 matches to play but Wenger insists his fourth-placed team are not yet out of the running.
“It’s never over – we cannot behave like that,” Wenger told Arsenal.com. “Even if you think it is, I don’t. We cannot even think like that.
“We look at the teams around us and we’re all in a pack that is very tight, where the fight for every position will be massive like it has always been in the Premier League, maybe even more this season than ever before.
“The way we respond to our disappointing result last Saturday is vital. If it is over for us, it’s over for everybody else. We are all together in a pack there, so first we have to focus on staying at the top, and then if we can reduce the distance between us and Chelsea after, you never know.
“They have an advantage where they aren’t playing in Europe. They have no midweek games, so of course they are in a very strong position.”
Arsenal next play a revitalised Hull City side fresh from a 2-0 victory over Liverpool, at Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
Wenger is not underrating The Tigers taking close look at their revival under new manager Marco Silva.
“Not really because I felt they played well since the start of the season but they had not always the results,” he said.
“The Premier League is difficult for everybody – they were a bit unlucky sometimes so they are a tough opposition for us.
“Every game is difficult, especially at the Emirates. We have to prepare well to face a Hull team with more confidence than when we played them, so we have to prepare well.
“We need to focus on what we do well and the quality of our game. As well these players have been great players [before] last Tuesday, they are still great players one week later. You are not a different player. You have to have common sense a little bit.”
Premier League players from both Arsenal and Chelsea are expressing cautious views ahead of the Sunday clash at the Emirates.
Chelsea midfielder, Willian believes his team has improved in the last few games and Arsenal’s Theo Walcott admitted that indeed, they would face a “completely different” Chelsea during the weekend.
“It is going to be a completely different team we face. They will be up for the challenge,” Walcott said, admitting also that Chelsea remains a threat to Arsenal’s title chances as they are likely to face another big battle on Sunday.
“They are always a threat. They have got top-quality players, even though some of them are not playing to the standards they set last year but in these games, nobody can call it,” Theo said.
Willian Borges da Silva, while describing the improvement in their squad, expressed belief that Chelsea is capable of winning the game at the Emirates.
He said; “Arsenal have a great team, we know that, but we know we can do it and bring back three points to Stamford Bridge”.
The Brazilian warned that he would also be out to score against his former Chelsea teammate and now Arsenal goalkeeper, Petr Cech.
The bodies of over 140 people who died in Saturday’s air crash in Egypt have been flown back to Russia.
All 224 people on the plane – most of them Russians – died when it came down over the northern Sinai Peninsula. So far 163 bodies have been found.
According to Russia’s emergency ministry, which organised the flight, identification will begin later on Monday at a crematorium in Saint Petersburg where remains of the victims were to be taken in a motorcade.
Family members have been providing DNA samples at a crisis centre set up close to the airport, now the site of an impromptu memorial where people are bringing flowers and cuddly toys to commemorate the victims, many of them children as young as 10 months old.
On Sunday, Russia observed a day of mourning after experiencing its worst air disaster.
As investigations continue into the cause of the crash, Russian air transport agency head, Aleksandr Neradko, says the airliner disintegrated at high altitude.
The Kogalymavia airbus A321 came down early on Saturday, shortly after leaving the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh for the Russian city of St Petersburg.
Jihadists allied to the Islamic State (Is) in Sinai, claimed responsibility for the crash but Egypt’s Prime Minister dismissed claims by the Islamic State (ISIS), that it is responsible for the crash, saying a technical fault was most likely the cause.