Liverpool Escape FA Action For Alleged Hack On Man City Scouting System

(FILES) In this file photo taken on January 6, 2007 Liverpool football fans call for justice for the 96 victims of the Hillsborough football disaster in 1989 during Liverpool vs Arsenal English FA Cup football match at Anfield, Liverpool. 
Paul ELLIS / AFP

 

The English Football Association (FA) has closed an investigation into allegations that employees of Liverpool hacked into Manchester City’s scouting system.

The incident stretches back to 2013 when Liverpool are alleged to have hacked a player database used by City scouts.

Reports last year stated that the case between the two clubs had been settled for a £1 million ($1.3 million) compensation payment by Liverpool, but that they never accepted any liability or wrongdoing.

“The FA has carefully considered the evidence it received in this matter, including information provided by both clubs involved, and has decided not to progress the investigation,” the FA said in a statement on Friday.

“This is due to a number of factors including the age of the alleged concerns and the settlement agreed by the two clubs involved.”

READ ALSO: Sterling To Miss Man City Clash Against West Ham

The case has heightened the tension between the clubs as they battle for supremacy in the Premier League.

Liverpool are romping towards a first league title in 30 years as they hold a 22-point lead over City, who beat them to the title by just one point last season.

City’s team bus was also attacked by Liverpool fans ahead of a Champions League quarter-final won by the Reds in 2018.

And Raheem Sterling was suspended for one match by England manager Gareth Southgate for an altercation with Liverpool defender Joe Gomez when they met up for international duty a day after a bad-tempered 3-1 defeat for City at Anfield.

AFP

Manchester City Fined £35,000 By English FA

Manchester CityManchester City have been fined £35,000 by the English Football Association.

City were penalised for their players’ behaviour during the 1-1 draw with Liverpool on March 19.

The club admitted to a misconduct charge for failing to ensure that their players conduct themselves in an orderly fashion.

It followed an incident “in or around the 50th minute”, when referee Michael Oliver awarded Liverpool a penalty.

James Milner scored from the spot, with Sergio Aguero equalising on 69 minutes.

Both Gael Clichy, who was penalised for a raised boot on Roberto Firmino, and David Silva were booked after Oliver pointed to the spot.

Gabriel Jesus Cleared To Make Debut Against Tottenham

Gabriel Jesus Cleared To Make Debut Against Tottenham Manchester city have been cleared to play 19-year-old Brazilian winger, Gabriel Jesus, against Tottenham on Saturday, after formally completing his £27 million move from Palmeiras.

The Brazil international, Jesus, has agreed to a five-year deal with City in August.

He stayed with Palmeiras until the end of the Brazilian season in December.

The footballer has won an Olympic gold medal with his country, having scored three times in the men’s football tournament in Rio, after which he was promoted to the senior Brazil team, for whom he has scored five times in six games.

Jesus arrived City at the start of January but registration to play for his new club was delayed while the English football association examined documents relating to his move.

UEFA Opens Disciplinary Action Against England, Lithuania

UEFAUEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the English Football Association and Lithuanian Football Federation (LFF), following crowd disturbances in their EURO 2016 qualifier in Vilnius on Monday.

Riot Police had to break up skirmishes between rival fans before the start, with some England supporters appearing to be in a section for home fans with no segregation.

UEFA said in a statement that the LFF also faces proceedings over ticketing and blocked stairways.

England won 3-nil to make it 10 wins from 10 in Group E ahead of 2016 European Championship in France.

Ashley Cole tenders apology for twitter comment against FA

The English Football Association said Chelsea and England defender; Ashley Cole has tendered an apology to the association for his social media message directed at the FA.

According to the FA Chairman David Bernstein; the defender personally tendered the apology last night over the Twitter messages to boo the Football Association.

It is yet to be decided if the Chelsea defender will be seeing action against San Marino for England come Friday for the World Cup qualifier and as FA Chairman said England Manager Roy Hodgson will be the one to decide that.

Ashley Cola has however been charged by the Football Association nonetheless for misconduct over his outburst with a Twitter message targeted at the FA referring to the Association as a “bunch of t****” in response to the independent regulatory commission’s damning judgement on his evidence in the John Terry racial abuse verdict.

Bernstein that Cole had initially apologised but had followed up his apology to the FA on Friday with a personal apology last night.

According to Bernstein, Cole apologised immediately on Friday and he came to him last night and apologised to him personally, as he showed real contrition saying he was really sorry.

Bernstein admitted, though, that the Chelsea full-back’s actions meant he was unlikely to captain England for what could be his 100th cap against Poland next Tuesday, even though he was convinced Cole’s apology was heart-felt.

He continued saying “He is free to play for England over the coming matches. It is up to the manager to decide whether he plays or not.”

Cole was given until 4pm on Thursday to respond to yesterday’s FA charge, given a 24-hour deadline before England face San Marino at Wembley.

With Bernstein confirming it is up to Hodgson to decide whether or not to play Cole, the only threat to his chances of winning a 99th cap would appear to be if the England manager opts to rest him ahead of the crucial trip to Poland four days later.

Ashley Cole set to honour England despite calls for ban

Chelsea Full back and England player Ashley Cole has been told to report for National duty for his home country even after calls from different quarters foe the defender to be banned from international activity on pitch for England, nothnaks to his recent attack on the Football Association.

Cole called the FA a “bunch of t***s” on Twitter after he was accused of “evolving” his statement supporting Terry’s defence against the charge he racially abused Anton Ferdinand.

Despite former England player; Alan Shearer’s call and that of pundits alike for Ashley Cole to be banned form international football,the Chelsea full-back is in Roy Hodgson’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino.

He is facing disciplinary action from Chelsea and the FA after he reacted furiously on Twitter to doubts being expressed about his evidence in the John Terry racial abuse case.

Shearer said on BBC that he thinks the FA can put a big statement out there by not fining Ashley Cole but actually banning him on Friday against San Marino.

Cole responded by retweeting a comment on Twitter which referenced an incident in the game between Newcastle and Leicester in 1998 when the former Magpies forward’s boot made contact with Neil Lennon’s face.

The FA ruled the striker had been making a “genuine attempt to free himself” from a tangle with his opponent and took no disciplinary action against him.

Cole retweeted a post from @CollinR4 which read: “Alan Shearer says @TheRealAC3 needs to be banned for comments. I want his opinion on bans for kicking Neil Lennon in the head. #GlassHouses”

Cole has spoken to Hodgson and will meet up with the squad at the new national football centre, St George’s Park near Burton-upon-Trent, today.

It is understood that if he is left out of the San Marino match it will be a case of Hodgson resting players against the Group H minnows rather than any statement relating to the controversy that erupted on Friday. Cole, 31, has 98 England caps to his name and will be desperate to reach the 100-mark.

He will also be part of the England squad that assemble at St George’s Park for the official opening tomorrow by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, William and Kate.

Wigan boss charged by FA over post match comments against United

The English Football Association has charged Wigan Manager Roberto Martinez for unruly post match comments that he made after the Barclays Premier League game against Manchester United last week.

The Latics lost 4-0 at Old Trafford during which he was unhappy about a penalty awarded to the hosts as well as a Danny Welbeck challenge on Franco di Santo which he felt warranted a red card.

After the match, Martinez said: “I have come to United three times before today and for whatever reason we don’t seem to be measured in the same manner as the team at home. Today the penalty is as bad a decision as you are going to see in the Premier League.”

He went on to say: “In many ways, you feel as though you are fighting against a mountain. There were tackles flying around that if they had been the other way round there would have been a couple of red cards.”

Martinez described Welbeck’s challenge as “completely reckless”, adding: “It is a red card, for a Wigan player, Manchester United, everyone.”

EURO 2012: Jermaine Defoe loses father, flies home

England football squad for the EURO 2012 tournament is one man short as Striker Jermaine Defoe returned home from Poland where the tournament opened today with news of father’s death Jimmy who died overnight.

On hearing the sad news, Jermaine flew back to England and it has been confirmed that the striker could miss England’s opening game against France which will be played on Monday.

Jermain’s father; Jimmy has been battling throat cancer for a while now before he died early hours of today.

The English Football Association released a statement to confirm the return of the Tottenham star saying: “England striker Jermain Defoe has returned home to England this morning following the passing of his father overnight. Jermain will re-join the England Euro squad in due course. There will be no replacement player called in.’

Defoe left England’s hotel ten minutes before the rest of the squad boarded a coach for their first training session in Poland having only arrived in the country on Wednesday evening.

Tottenham Hotspur passed on their condolences to the forward. A statement on their website said: “Jermaine Defoe has returned home from the England squad base in Poland this morning after receiving the sad news of the passing away of his father overnight.”

England players paid their respects to Jermaine, who grew up in Beckton and is currently a supporter of many local charities, at press conferences this afternoon.